Ukrainian Man Seriously Injured after Crashing his Big Bike into a Taxi at a Phuket Intersection – VIDEO

webfact

3 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

All those who understand the culture in this land, they were all waiting, and all survived. They understand the lack of enforcement of traffic laws here, combined with the selfishness of the locals who will try to save some seconds...

The locals here understand that, because that is what they want, as everybody here will want to avoid the frustration of having to wait a minute because they just missed a green light by a few seconds. That is what the people want here, and that is why traffic laws are not enforced.

So they wait some 5 seconds or more before they go through a green light, because they also do not like that frustration when it happens to them. It is a social agreement, this Ukrainian man was unaware of that so it appears....

I think that's a a good point. Jumping a red is obviously illegal but I understand why they do it when you might have to wait upto 300 seconds for the light to turn green again. They need to shorten some of these wait times.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, rwill said:

Like I've said before the only days I don't see someone running red lights are the days I stay at home all day.

True words.  I've lived here quite a while, but now I'm not sure about something.   When the light turns red, does the other light turn green instantly?  There doesn't seem to be any cushion except for that countdown.  I think I've only seen one yellow light in the 8 years I've lived here.  I'm not saying it's better than where I'm from, but the yellow light has a more powerful warning than the #1 when you are speeding down the road.  Having said that, many people run the red light in my home country.  That's why I  always waited until I saw ALL the cars go through.   

The biker went through the red light, and couldn't wait 2 seconds.  I see that all the time in Phuket, like every day multiple times.   The taxi was going way too fast and couldn't stop.   I see that every day multiple times.  I'm surprised I don't see more bad accidents.  Very tragic.  

20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How does that work?

in context of suing for compensation i wonder (cos i not know), when apportioning blame, what weight would be applied to car running a red light + impacting the m/c when m/c light had turned green.   

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, anandra said:
6 hours ago, In the jungle said:

The motorcyclist moved before the light turned green but the taxi driver almost certainly ran a red light.

I have learned to look both ways when the light turns green because jumping red lights is very common here.

you are wrong, motorcyclist moved on the green light watch video again

No, you are wrong, motorcyclist moved before the green light, watch the video again.

48 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

Taxi also seams to be a private car, Bolt or Grab car driver? so probably no Taxi Driver license, who knows maybe no license at all.

"...probably no Taxi Driver license, who knows maybe no license at all".

Huh?   Based on what, but what's that got to do with it?

9 minutes ago, Bvor said:

in context of suing for compensation i wonder (cos i not know), when apportioning blame, what weight would be applied to car running a red light + impacting the m/c when m/c light had turned green.   

The m/c was impacted in the middle of the junction after jumping his light; that it was green when he was hit doesn't clear him of blame.

• Like 1

Many years ago I was attending a motorbike training/ride day at a racetrack. The older guy (ex police motorbiker) was talking about the 'right' way to ride a bike on the streets, as compared to the track. In particular, hemade a point of saying that when you are at the front, always look right before moving ahead at a set of lights.  That is where they come from - the ones that kill bikers. The ones on the left you will usually see because they are further away and you can stop. 

There was a young bloke in the group who was always going on and on about how car drivers should do this and that. The old guy had finally had enough and walked over to him and stood right in his face (he was a big guy).  He yelled at the young bloke and told him that if he wants to ride like an idiot and gets killed - he will personally write on his effinn gravestone - 'annoying little ****t who was is dead but he was in the right'.  The young kid did not say another word all day - I think he got the message. 

Tragic that the Ukrainin was hit, but he did not ride with enough due care. They always run red lights in Thailand, so it is up to all the bike riders to keep that in mind. 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Bvor said:

Suing for what? The driver doesnt have a pot to piss in, and his insurance covers some paltry amount.

I've seen the 'gofundme' for this accident already up on Facebook.

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No it doesn't. Not even in Thailand. About 5 seconds to clear the intersection

Thanks.  I never really thought about it.  I wouldn't drive a motorbike in this insane place called Phuket.  I have a truck and kiss the ground when I finally arrive home in one piece. :1zgarz5:  What's with the new emojis?

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

Suing for what? The driver doesnt have a pot to piss in, and his insurance covers some paltry amount.

hence the driver may claim compensation from the m/c who some posters blame for the collision.........but in any case TIT rules.

41 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...probably no Taxi Driver license, who knows maybe no license at all".

Huh?   Based on what, but what's that got to do with it?

I have ridden with many of this private "unlicensed taxis" and I have not seen a official Taxi driver license in anyone. You know the yellow one with a picture stating the drivers name. However I spoke to one time that could speak very good english, and after we talked a bit she even told me she didn't even have a Driving License and when I question about it she told me she knew a few other drivers also with out any driving license driving taxis. She say no problem as long as there is no accident, but if she caused an accident her premium insurance would not cover her car only the other one. When I asked her why not get a license she answered, "Why should I? If I ever get stopped the official fee is 200 Baht, and police probably ok with 100 Baht not have to do the paperwork.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Actually it is the other way around as we drive left here: left right left.

Here I look right then left then right. Approaching traffic comes in left side lane. So that's the immediate risk.  Then look traffic left in far side of road way.

• Like 1

Ukrainian Man Seriously Injured after Taxi jumping red light wipes him out at a Phuket Intersection

I corrected the headline... 

The Taxi driver clearly blew thought the lights on red.... 

But, as others have mentioned, the motorcyclist entered the junction prematurely.

This is of course the issue with the countdown timers - it enables people to anticipate and jump the lights. 

As many have commented already... Never enter a junction quickly after the lights have changed as jumping lights is so common. 

This is naivety on the part of the motorcyclist and law breaking in jumping the lights on the part of the taxi driver. 

9 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

So they wait some 5 seconds or more before they go through a green light, because they also do not like that frustration when it happens to them. It is a social agreement

Except that they DONT wait. All the vehicles are off and running before or on the green light. Social acceptance is that there are gamblers and chancers everywhere on the roads. 

5 hours ago, In the jungle said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you are wrong, motorcyclist moved before the green light, watch the video again.

Read what I said again.  "The motorcyclist moved before the light turned green"

My comment that you quoted there was addressed to "anandra", who responded to your comment, not to you...

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
7 hours ago, anandra said:
13 hours ago, In the jungle said:

The motorcyclist moved before the light turned green but the taxi driver almost certainly ran a red light.

I have learned to look both ways when the light turns green because jumping red lights is very common here.

Expand  

you are wrong, motorcyclist moved on the green light watch video again

Expand