Which rice to give

BenStark

I have decided to give a nearby children home rice as new year's presence.

I have looked in Makro, and noticed that for about the same price of 15kg Jasmine rice I can buy also 25 - 30kg of fragrant rice. The latter is probably what they eat all year round, while the former will obviously taste better.

So which one would be the most appreciated?

Edited by BenStark
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, BenStark said:

I have decided to give a nearby children home rice as new year's presence.

I have looked in Makro, and noticed that for about the same price of 15kg Jasmine rice I can buy also 25 - 30kg of fragrant rice. The latter is probably what they eat all year round, while the former will obviously taste better.

So which one would be the most appreciated?

As the youth of today say...You ROCK! 

1 hour ago, mamypoko said:

As the youth of today say...You ROCK! 

Def agree. It's a lovely thing to do. To answer your question, I'd buy the nicer rice, BUT:

I always give money. It's the universal gift certificate, good in any store.

A charity is always short of cash. It may be less satisfying to give cash to their general fund instead of imagining those winsome urchins enjoying your gift -but it will be much more appreciated than any specific thing you might give them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Giving cash is a sure way to ensure the children will not see much of it, although the staff will appreciate you generosity.

I don't have your gift of all-knowing, cynical clairvoyance.

Everyone else in the universe but you thinks that giving money to charity is a good idea.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I don't have your gift of all-knowing, cynical clairvoyance.

Everyone else in the universe but you thinks that giving money to charity is a good idea.

Nothing wrong with charity as long as it is going to those who really need it. As you appear to be the all knowing one, may I suggest you look a little closer to the use of the charity you give.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

As you appear to be the all knowing one, may I suggest you look a little closer to the use of the charity you give.

You are fronting your pub bore bitterness as savvy wisdom when you are in fact 100% content-free.

Do you have any anecdotes to share of tiny charities skimming cash?

I'm going to go with: Duh. No.

3 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Been arranging for rice to be sent to Duang  Prateep Foundation every month since Covid. Rice is always useful for school meals so just go ahead with what you can afford.

Thanks, but the question was actually what they would appreciate most.

A higher quantity of standard quality, or a lower quantity of premium quality?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

To be frank, even the cheaper rice types would be appreciated when they don’t have enough.

18 minutes ago, Purdey said:

To be frank, even the cheaper rice types would be appreciated when they don’t have enough.

I don't know if they have enough, and don't intend to go ask them, but I guess most of their rice is purchased with the funds they have.

I think there are over 100 kids there

Their foundation is foreign funded

Edited by BenStark

27 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I don't know if they have enough, and don't intend to go ask them, but I guess most of their rice is purchased with the funds they have.

I think there are over 100 kids there

Their foundation is foreign funded

Perhaps go there with several kilos first. You may be able to judge how they react. Taking a Thai along (no matter the fluency of your Thai) is a way of gauging their reaction.

4 hours ago, BenStark said:
15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

despite your generous New Year's "presence".

Well, not everyone on this forum is native English, so we sometimes make spelling or grammar mistakes against the English language.

That was not the point of my comment from which you selected that, my point was whether you seriously think children would appreciate rice as a donation to the home and whether they'd care (or know) whether it was Jasmine of fragrant.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:
12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That was not the point of my comment from which you selected that, my point was whether you seriously think children would appreciate rice as a donation to the home and whether they'd care (or know) whether it was Jasmine of fragrant.

If it was not your point, then why did you feel the urge to included it in your post in Italic script?

It was not italicised!  

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BenStark said:

Are you really so strapped you couldn't afford the same, higher amount of the better rice?

I ask because I sometimes get hung up on the small fry differences with cash, especially with tips but not only. When in the end being slightly more generous or chilled is the solution that pleases everyone, and penny pinching can spoil lovely experiences.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Are you really so strapped you couldn't afford the same, higher amount of the better rice?

Are you really so ignorant that you can't read, or is it the chip on your shoulder that is itching for an argument?

Where did I mention the amount I want to spend?

I said that for the same amount I can get a larger quantity of the lower grade rice.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I think it is possible that the children's home has plenty of rice already, but may be in need of other supplies. I would speak to the management and ask what they need.

Nothing beats KFC with Thai kids...

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Def agree. It's a lovely thing to do. To answer your question, I'd buy the nicer rice, BUT:

I always give money. It's the universal gift certificate, good in any store.

A charity is always short of cash. It may be less satisfying to give cash to their general fund instead of imagining those winsome urchins enjoying your gift -but it will be much more appreciated than any specific thing you might give them.

As aforementioned, gifts can be re-directed. Cash is not the best idea unless you are directly involved in the spending and distribution. It seems we are discussing a 1000 baht donation. How does he know what will happen to it? 
Personally I would give things that didn’t invite misappropriation. 

4 minutes ago, NextG said:

As aforementioned, gifts can be re-directed. Cash is not the best idea unless you are directly involved in the spending and distribution. It seems we are discussing a 1000 baht donation. How does he know what will happen to it? 
Personally I would give things that didn’t invite misappropriation. 

Again, I didn't mention any amount of the donation, but yes it will not be tens of thousands, only that for the same money I can get more quantity of the standard grade of rice.

But those that want to slag me off, feel free to post here how much you donated

3 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Are you really so ignorant that you can't read, or is it the chip on your shoulder that is itching for an argument?

Where did I mention the amount I want to spend?

I said that for the same amount I can get a larger quantity of the lower grade rice.

So answer my question (or not, I don't care). I notice you ignored the self critical second part of my post. Nor did you respond to my first post. I was just trying to be helpful. It appears to have gone right over your head.

Don't spoil a good thought by coming out with those kind of insults. The question arises as to whose chip you are referring to. It ain't mine, nor was I looking for an argument.

Oh, and as a learning aid in basic calculation, I don't need to know how much you want to spend and I don't care about that either. The problem you set is very simple as is the (second) answer I gave.