Swedes in Thailand: Holiday Nightmare

webfact

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

The old, bigger and IMO safer Tigerline ferries serving these transfers were retired and now it seems all the transfers are done with speedboats. These are fairly small, I would say most are fibreglass made, with a couple of powerful engines and a lot of passengers packed in...looks like a sea bus. With high speed and high waves the boat will thrash into the water with high force, so this one probably either had a building defect, was overloaded, or was going too fast in high waves in order to break.

We were early this year in the area with expedition sea kayak, we lost 5 rivet joints from constant thrashing in high waves.

Hopefully they got the passengers' possessions in dry bags, otherwise all the passports and phones would be gone.

Full story, is .........................................................................................................................................................

"Eventually, the captain called for help, and the roof of the boat was cut open with a knife for passengers to jump out."

Idiot. He should have been cutting holes in  floorboards to let the water out. Everybody knows this!

• Haha 1

'Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results'.  Health and Safety will never catch on here.  In nearly 20 years here I get 

déja vu several times a year; drought or flood; road repairs repeated; corruption scandals discovered (and sometimes prosecuted) and in this case ships sinking with unerring regularity.  Do Thais never learn from their recent history?

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Probably passengers got a gift hamper when they were safe.🥴

no silly ....  do you realize how much gift hampers cost ..... 

they each get a fruit basket and wai's all around.    TIT ...     they're not going to spend too much on dirty farangs. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

The old, bigger and IMO safer Tigerline ferries serving these transfers were retired and now it seems all the transfers are done with speedboats. These are fairly small, I would say most are fibreglass made, with a couple of powerful engines and a lot of passengers packed in...looks like a sea bus. With high speed and high waves the boat will thrash into the water with high force, so this one probably either had a building defect, was overloaded, or was going too fast in high waves in order to break.

We were early this year in the area with expedition sea kayak, we lost 5 rivet joints from constant thrashing in high waves.

Hopefully they got the passengers' possessions in dry bags, otherwise all the passports and phones would be gone.

Exactly as you describe.  We visited Koh Lipe some months ago.  Fast speedboat ride to and from the island.  Packed with passengers both trips.  Seas were calm going to the island and it was a pleasant trip but coming back we had rain and rough, choppy waves.  Constant, violent bumping up and down the entire trip as we smacked at high speed into wave after wave--with me looking at the floor and hoping the whole time that the old boat held together, which, luckily, it did.  

• Like 1

Look at the picture;  Do you see and 'large waves' that caused the trouble?  No. it looks as calma s a hotel sweimming pool.

All pintss to the bot not being sea-worthy. " Loked safe"  A new coat of paint, whihc did not make good structural dmage?.

Note that marine engines shoud normally operate when ewet, or underwater.

{asseners might havebehaved correctly.  "In an emergency, obey the Captain's orders"  But what if he has not been trained as to hwo o rect?

How many of these ferry "captains" hve ha any training in safety or any qualification to be incharge of a passenger boat?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The boat actually had life jackets?!! Or was it Bring Your Own :smile::unsure:

well the picture showed them floating with jackets on...couldn't understand why they waited to the point that they had to cut open the fabric boat

cover to get off the chairs and jump into the sea.  Scary to say the least...One boat was mentioned by the tourists as "hit by a wave and broke the

boat into two pieces" 

I wonder if it's a requirement for getting a captain's license to pilot a boat which (carries members of the public), to take courses in life-saving techniques and emergency management? It sounds like that's not the case and if not, why not?

Why the negligence? The great thing about Thailand is that egg on the face sometimes leads to an improvement in standards, unfortunately that seems to be the only time it happens, is when there's sufficient loss of face and humiliation in the international press. 

So kudos to the press for shaming the Thais, you just know that this is being printed and posted all over the world and it's just another black eye for Thailand. For me, I don't really care if tourism drops, but I'm sure it's going to negatively affect a lot of people who make a living in the business. 

Perhaps just another example of failed leadership on the part of Sretta and the ridiculous Thai army? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, stoner said:

wait.

people just sat there while the boat was sinking ? then stood up on chairs hoping for what ? 

They had been reading the thread on here, entitled: – "do you believe in God" and were hoping that they would be lifted up into the skies by the great redeemer – – yeah right!

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

They had been reading the thread on here, entitled: – "do you believe in God" and were hoping that they would be lifted up into the skies by the great redeemer – – yeah right!

ahhaha

when i die and they lay me to rest im gonna go to the place that's the best. 

14 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

20-year-old Linnea Pakermo has been traveling around Thailand for two months with her friend. For Christmas, they would spent the holiday with her friend's family, who came to Thailand to visit.

But on 24 December, water started taking over the boat that was supposed to transport them to the island Koh Lanta.

The boat looked brand new and felt safe, Linnea told Dagbladet Express. There were big waves which hit the boat, and an hour later, passengers heard a strong sound. Water was entering the boat, causing panic on board.

A nightmare coming to life

Passengers were asked to wear life jackets as the boat was declared broken. Captain of the ship tried to return the boat to Koh Lipe, but the engine ended up underwater too.

The captain didn't speak English too well, leaving passengers in uncertainty while they were covered in water to their hips. Even while standing on chairs. Eventually, the captain called for help, and the roof of the boat was cut open with a knife for passengers to jump out.

by Sofie Rønnelund

Photo: Private

Full story:  ScandAsia  2023-12-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here. 

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click  HERE  to subscribe

I like the part about the Captain not speaking English the best!

14 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

20-year-old Linnea Pakermo has been traveling around Thailand for two months with her friend. For Christmas, they would spent the holiday with her friend’s family, who came to Thailand to visit.

But on 24 December, water started taking over the boat that was supposed to transport them to the island Koh Lanta.

The boat looked brand new and felt safe, Linnea told Dagbladet Express. There were big waves which hit the boat, and an hour later, passengers heard a strong sound. Water was entering the boat, causing panic on board.

A nightmare coming to life

Passengers were asked to wear life jackets as the boat was declared broken. Captain of the ship tried to return the boat to Koh Lipe, but the engine ended up underwater too.

The captain didn’t speak English too well, leaving passengers in uncertainty while they were covered in water to their hips. Even while standing on chairs. Eventually, the captain called for help, and the roof of the boat was cut open with a knife for passengers to jump out.

by Sofie Rønnelund

Photo: Private

Full story: ScandAsia 2023-12-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

All I could say is,  Kap Koun kaw

6 hours ago, Robin said:

Note that marine engines shoud normally operate when ewet, or underwater

Sober up and post again. Engines don't run under water because air is required for combustion.  Water in the fuel will stall the motor. Electrical shorts will stall the motor. 

No investigation has taken place yet, so how can all of the Columbos here already know that this is a case of negligence or incompetence ? 

The speedboats in Pattaya are made of marine plywood/epoxy with paint over the wood.  It's a perfectly acceptable way to construct a boat.  We don't know what caused the vessel to sink. Did he hit a deadhead?  A rock?  Did the hull break apart in heavy seas?  Swamped due to overloading?  We have no idea.  Hell, there isn't even a mention of how big the boat was. 

As someone who spent much of my life working on a boat, I'll confess to being very cautious about passage on the boats here.  You wouldn't catch me dead below decks on one of the narrow beamed ferries, thats for sure, and many of the speedboat operators drive like they stole it. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1