Thailand wants to see far more US and Canadian tourists as long-haul visitors spend twice as much

webfact

11 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

The problem with all of this is the travel time. Basically it's going to take 24 hours in the air. Even when there was a direct TG flight from LAX to BKK which I used to take it was 18 hours. So 2 days of your vacation from North America is spent in a damn airplane

At least TAT was able to identify long haul travelers as their target market from North America. Wonder how many decades it took to figure that out? In addition to flying time & short vacations for most, you have serious jet lag on arrival, followed by brutal jet lag on return. Only long haul travelers will put up with it.

18 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Extending Songkran, as if drought conditions aren't at their worst already at that time of year.  Let's waste some more water 

I assume, the idea of the promotion is to get tourists in during the low season. Why have a happy-hour from 22:00 to 23:00?

A I like Songkran. Light traffic, everything is cheap, people laughing and having fun everywhere. I guess the only big negative is all the attractive young girls in wet clothes trying to get you to play with them, huh?

I really miss having a pickup to drive around with a bed full of kids and a drum of water. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2023 at 7:10 AM, DJ54 said:

A plan to have 90 day visa free or visa for US and Canada on arrival could actually work for people wanting to visit 

different countries in SE Asia using Thailand as a base…. let’s wait and see what happens..

This won't work because all the westerner grifters are gun shy. So, roll out the carpet and then hassles at Immigration point. It will need to be an official re-welcome and some sort of clear rules which Thailand has never provided outside COVID 

• Confused 1

There really isn't much to motivate Yanks & Canucks to come to TH.  I can think of more negatives than positives.

Give them 90 day visa free + extension, and still don't see the numbers increasing.   Doubt if many would make a repeat visit.

Think on best years, only 1+M Yanks came here.  Paltry numbers for a country of 350M population.   UK about the same, just shy of 1M, but 1/5 the population.  Distance & cost matters.

Canada's #s apparently not even worth mentioning.

ASEAN & E. Asia made up 2/3 of 2019's tourist.

image.png.6496b5e97e8d6cfb9b85dbbdeb43d76c.png

image.png.0280c54984a0d233eeba191445514808.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Thailand wants more American and Canadian tourists they had better start getting out of the Chinese way of living and cheating foreigners and start practicing the norms of western society like enforcing the laws of the land and getting rid of corrupt Policemen and getting rid of dual pricing. That Policeman's daughter who caused a traffic accident in Bangkok killing more than ten people, several years ago, still hasn't gone to jail. Jail in Thailand is just for foreigners and poor Thai people.

Most recent Police killing of a Thai factory owner in Bangkok because the guy wouldn't loan/give money to the Policeman, and of course, 2 Highway Policemen were a short distance from the killing, at the same expressway toll gate, and didn't do anything.  Amazing Thailand!

Thailand has long way to go to attract lots of Canadians and American tourists. Sure TAT can make big advertising campaigns but the facts speak for themselves. Come to Thailand during a big holiday, like New Years or Songkran, and see or participate in the huge amount of traffic accidents and hundreds of people getting killed or injured. The only place outside, a tourist can walk safely, is on the beach, without stumbling on a foot path, or risking an accident with a motor vehicle.

Edited by Banana7
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

The only place outside, a tourist can walk safely, is on the beach, without stumbling on a foot path, or risking an accident with a motor vehicle.

Only to step on used syringe that had drifted in from fishing boat full of ironically illegal foreign workers

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If Thailand wants more American and Canadian tourists they had better start getting out of the Chinese way of living and cheating foreigners and start practicing the norms of western society like enforcing the laws of the land and getting rid of corrupt Policemen and getting rid of dual pricing. That Policeman's daughter who caused a traffic accident in Bangkok killing more than ten people, several years ago, still hasn't gone to jail. Jail in Thailand is just for foreigners and poor Thai people.

Most recent Police killing of a Thai factory owner in Bangkok because the guy wouldn't loan/give money to the Policeman, and of course, 2 Highway Policemen were a short distance from the killing, at the same expressway toll gate, and didn't do anything.  Amazing Thailand!

Thailand has long way to go to attract lots of Canadians and American tourists. Sure TAT can make big advertising campaigns but the facts speak for themselves. Come to Thailand during a big holiday, like New Years or Songkran, and see or participate in the huge amount of traffic accidents and hundreds of people getting killed or injured. The only place outside, a tourist can walk safely, is on the beach, without stumbling on a foot path, or risking an accident with a motor vehicle.

You're asking for a lot.  

Its a second world country run by third world kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:22 AM, KhunLA said:

There really isn't much to motivate Yanks & Canucks to come to TH.  I can think of more negatives than positives.

Give them 90 day visa free + extension, and still don't see the numbers increasing.   Doubt if many would make a repeat visit.

The 90 day visa free (exempt?) + extension would go a long way in increasing tourists and semi retired or retired Americans, Canadians, and other Europeans to spend more time in Thailand.  It would be a boost to the Thai economy as no matter what income level they are they still need to spend on the basics such as a place to stay and eating.  

• Like 1

I'm sure that the month long songkran will be a huge pull. Expect a massive increase on high spending long haul tourists staying for a long time and spending a fortune this coming April. I'm sure glad TAT thought of this cunning plan, I was worrying how they would make their forecast this year unless they used soft power. I wonder how many tourists will actually come? Top TAT have a forecast for this vital piece of data?

Now what I'd like to see is a real plan, one that shows who is going to do what by when to ensure that the soft power is invoked and that every single American and Canadian knows about songkran, and how they will be informed. Will it be a cunning internet plan, or an ad campaign on US and Canadian TV? I can't wait to see what the plan is. 

The other thing is what will we all do for money when this vast number of tourists leave at the end of April.....won't that be a kind of downer. How about closing the airports to stop them from leaving? TAT could blame a computer glitch and keep them here forever....plus of they keep them here for more than 180 days the authorities can tax all the money they bring over to feed and shelter themselves. Just a thought. Happy New Year TAT. I'm glad you all worked so hard bringing us fascinating statistics every day all through 2023......long may it continue in 2024.

On 12/28/2023 at 2:07 PM, Bday Prang said:

I wish they would make their minds up, who they want and who they don't, and how on earth do they know how much people spend on average per trip

Well they won't get anyone in April with a full month of water throwing 

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

The 90 day visa free (exempt?) + extension would go a long way in increasing tourists and semi retired or retired Americans, Canadians, and other Europeans to spend more time in Thailand.  It would be a boost to the Thai economy as no matter what income level they are they still need to spend on the basics such as a place to stay and eating.  

Not really used by tourist though, but by long stay folks, who can't meet the financial or age limitations of marriage or retirement visa.

Most long stayers don't spend the kind of money tourist do, staying in hotels & eating out most meals, along with taking tours.  Some, wouldn't even contribute much more than the immigrant workers from neighboring countries.

Or may spend most of their time at the happy hours in the bars of the adult entertainment sois.  If some of the posts here at taken to heart.

Not exactly what the folks in charge want.

On 12/31/2023 at 3:22 PM, KhunLA said:

UK about the same, just shy of 1M, but 1/5 the population.

I think  UK population is around 70 million   so its more like 1/70th isn't it ?

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

I think  UK population is around 70 million   so its more like 1/70th isn't it ?

think your calculator needs batteries ...

... USA ~350M

... UK ~70M  ... 1/5 (70 X 5 = 350)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

think your calculator needs batteries ...

... USA ~350M

... UK ~70M  ... 1/5 (70 X 5 = 350)

Nothing wrong with my calculator, just my brain , I get what you meant now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not really used by tourist though, but by long stay folks, who can't meet the financial or age limitations of marriage or retirement visa.

Most long stayers don't spend the kind of money tourist do, staying in hotels & eating out most meals, along with taking tours.  Some, wouldn't even contribute much more than the immigrant workers from neighboring countries.

Or may spend most of their time at the happy hours in the bars of the adult entertainment sois.  If some of the posts here at taken to heart.

Not exactly what the folks in charge want.

Thank you for your honesty.  It's nice to see the way that it is. 

There are some who dont do much of anything too - but the main beat which I completely agree with is people who spend long periods of time in Thailand dont spend like crazy.  But hey, beggars can't be choosers.  

On 12/30/2023 at 1:47 PM, blazes said:

If that's Economy, it seems a bit steep.  Economy "in years past" was under a thousand.

I've been flying each year for the last 8 years CNX to LAX mid-Jan returning end of April/begin May and have never seen economy under $1,000 USD.  Sure your not thinking of BKK to LAX? 

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And snowbirds, people wanting to spend a spell away from a harsh winter. Summertime workers too, May to October laying bricks, then November to April laying something else. Other way round for Australians. I am sure there is a market there if they keep the cost of living here relatively low. 

The real money is in the millions of short term tourists though of course,  few days to a month and in large numbers. 

• Agree 1

I thought we was all filthy falangs and low spending non quality tourists, that had to have 60 day visas made as difficult as possible with loads of paperwork. There well and truly stuffed on this.

Thailand is old news as most will have done it, the novelty with a 20 plus hour flight at triple prices and 30% more for every hotel with most being old.with zero maitance is just not going to fly. 

Lastly as I have already said the thais have made sure we know as westerners we are unwelcome guests that they tolerate. It's actually amusing that they have decided this we spend more when that that's always been the case 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

I've been flying each year for the last 8 years CNX to LAX mid-Jan returning end of April/begin May and have never seen economy under $1,000 USD.  Sure your not thinking of BKK to LAX? 

Sorry, yes, I was thinking it was LAX to BKK.  But I was for some reason also thinking YVR to BKK, which is (or was) definitely under $1000 CAD on Eva Air before Covid.

7 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Xiamen Airlines

4 hours ago, Poseidon said:

I thought we was all filthy falangs and low spending non quality tourists, that had to have 60 day visas made as difficult as possible with loads of paperwork. There well and truly stuffed on this.

Thailand is old news as most will have done it, the novelty with a 20 plus hour flight at triple prices and 30% more for every hotel with most being old.with zero maitance is just not going to fly. 

Lastly as I have already said the thais have made sure we know as westerners we are unwelcome guests that they tolerate. It's actually amusing that they have decided this we spend more when that that's always been the case 

Maybe we still are, "filthy falangs," that is. This news about wanting to see more Americans and Canadians can't match what was just reported for the Chinese. 

Thai PM  announces that Thailand and China will permanently waive each other's visa entry requirements starting March.

Yep. Just come right on in. This is an open door policy. The number of triads, illegal workers, scammers, and outright criminals will skyrocket. All while Americans wait around for weeks on end to get visas.  

Edited by John Drake
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Yep. Just come right on in. This is an open door policy. The number of triads, illegal workers, scammers, and outright criminals will skyrocket. All while Americans wait around for weeks on end to get visas.  

Chill. They will control them with new, stiffer requirements for retirement extensions.

26 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Chill. They will control them with new, stiffer requirements for retirement extensions.

They'll waive those for the Chinese, too. 800,000 in the bank? Waive it. 90 Days report? Waive it. Requirement not to work? Waive it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

They'll waive those for the Chinese, too. 800,000 in the bank? Waive it. 90 Days report? Waive it. Requirement not to work? Waive it.

I saw a very funny sight at L section 2 years ago. The numbers stopped being called out and a bus load of people who looked like Chinese entered the L section with just passport and an application form as far as I could see, and left within minutes with a receipt in their hands. TR section extension where that is just feasible is 'round the corner.Things subsequently tightened up with long standing agents having problems so perhaps things got a bit much.

It seems work regulations are being waived in the 'Lower Sukhumvit Free Trade Zone', although I suppose the 4 Thais per foreigner are back in a Lawyers office, but I am surprised waiters are paid the minimum Bt40,000 salary required which I thought was required with a few exceptions. Whether ASEAN is also an exception I don't know, but Bangladesh seems not to be listed as a member.

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I saw a very funny sight at L section 2 years ago. The numbers stopped being called out and a bus load of people who looked like Chinese entered the L section with just passport and an application form as far as I could see, and left within minutes with a receipt in their hands. TR section extension where that is just feasible is 'round the corner.Things subsequently tightened up with long standing agents having problems so perhaps things got a bit much.

It seems work regulations are being waived in the 'Lower Sukhumvit Free Trade Zone', although I suppose the 4 Thais per foreigner are back in a Lawyers office, but I am surprised waiters are paid the minimum Bt40,000 salary required which I thought was required with a few exceptions. Whether ASEAN is also an exception I don't know, but Bangladesh seems not to be listed as a member.

Just a matter of time before Americans and Europeans need approval from the PRC embassy to get their extensions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1