Experts flag doubts over road-safety masterplan as Thailand braces for ‘Seven Dangerous Days’

snoop1130

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Every year the same story on New Year and Songkran, but nothing is being done by the Government during the rest of the year.. severe punishments, real checking of alcohol and drugs at checkpoints, speeding and lane changing. hold the drivers and show them a 4 hour video obliged to watch so they will belayed more as they should drive normally..and drunk/ drugs in the blood, forbid them to drive on.. confiscate the vehicle until they are totally sober again. Just a few things 

Where I live you don't have checkpoints, you have booze busses who also check for drugs, any alcohol or drugs in your system you will be walking home depending on the amount you will lose your licence on the spot or get a court summons and your car impounded. And booze busses can turn up in any street.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Road traffic fatalities currently stand at 25 for every 100,000 people – more than double the 12 per 100,000 targeted within the next four years. Also worth noting is that these figures do not reflect the thousands of accident victims left disabled for life.

Thailand has an appalling road accident record, for many reasons that could if the will from above was stronger it could change.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

motorbike owners to postpone the installation of anti-lock braking systems

I’ve not heard about this… is it going to be a requirement? Cost? How do they test if you has ABD will crash test dummies?

6 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Christmas day my Son's friend died in an accident in Hua Hin, 9 in the morning. A 50 year old woman pulled straight out in front of him, he hit her, fell off the bike, and a speeding pick up ran over him. His Father is a Brit, Mother Thai. Already the police have stated that if the Father (being Farang) pursues a case to prosecute He is wasting His time. There is simply no hope for these people.

I am going to the market this morning, then the truck stays in the drive until at least the 4th.

Please, please everyone out there stay safe, do not become a statistic.

Sorry to hear that about your son’’s friend, pretty horrendous. As a father, doesn’t bear thinking about. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

We have a 4 way stop near our townhouse here in Muang Thong Thani, and multiple 2 way Stop signs, nobody stops for the Stop Signs, NOBODY! They could write a thousand tickets an hour here, but they don't, that's with a huge police facility here right across from Impact Arena. No patrols, and whenever I do see the police, you guessed it, they blow right through the stop signs and crosswalks too. The Thai brain is wired for law-breaking, they just don't care about safety, even their own. I have lost count at how many times drivers have tried to run my daughter and I over in crosswalks near her school. I hate this country and it's people with a passion, mainly because of the "Culture" that everyone else can't wait to come see and enjoy. 

Now now, mother. Settle down and take your medicine:wink:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1