What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

Private investigator John Sugar examines the mysterious disappearance of Olivia Siegel, the granddaughter of a legendary Hollywood producer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

Private investigator John Sugar examines the mysterious disappearance of Olivia Siegel, the granddaughter of a legendary Hollywood producer.

Thanks @Will27 for the heads up. I'm a big fan of Colin Farrell, so I'll have to have a look at this.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/5/2024 at 9:53 AM, Will27 said:

I like Farrell as an actor but just couldn't get into this. Gave it away after 15 minutes.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:55 AM, jaywalker2 said:

Didn't like it all. The brilliant scientists selected to save the world happen to be one black, one Mexican, one Asian, and a white guy who gave up science to make potato chips. Lots of melodrama, not much action. Dumbed down version of the book (although I couldn't make it through that either)

I've watched the entirety of 3 Body. Thought the scenes of the Cultural Revolution quite good. Unfortunately, there is the rest of the series. Yes, they're casting for diversity. And somehow they've managed to find almost an entire cast that can't act, including Rosalind Chao. Terribly dull. Seems written to appeal to teenagers, with angst ridden "deep thoughts" being passed out in bars and bedroom conversations. This is what a 15 year old thinks is serious and important. Usually dark and gloomy photography that passes for "art" these days. And the conversations consist of growls, mumbling, and grunts. Can't hear vast passages. Need subtitles for the English.

On 4/5/2024 at 9:53 AM, Will27 said:

I watched the first two episodes and must say I am intrigued. It feels like more than just a neo-noir take on the PI story.

The opening scene in black and white in Japan is inspired by Kurosawa's "High and Low" (which Spike Lee and Denzel Washington are rumored to be doing a remake). This makes sense as the protagonist is a film buff.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I've watched the entirety of 3 Body. Thought the scenes of the Cultural Revolution quite good. Unfortunately, there is the rest of the series. Yes, they're casting for diversity. And somehow they've managed to find almost an entire cast that can't act, including Rosalind Chao. Terribly dull. Seems written to appeal to teenagers, with angst ridden "deep thoughts" being passed out in bars and bedroom conversations. This is what a 15 year old thinks is serious and important. Usually dark and gloomy photography that passes for "art" these days. And the conversations consist of growls, mumbling, and grunts. Can't hear vast passages. Need subtitles for the English.

Thx for your opinion. I am not p

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Thx for your opinion. No plans to watch it. Have seen the orignal Chinese 30 eps version and I like it very much. Not want my memory distorted by this HollyRock crap ...

On 4/5/2024 at 11:52 AM, Seppius said:

2 episodes in and good so far, DailyMail plugging it in the UK. Full series has dropped

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13272967/netflix-fans-new-series-talented-lead-actor.html

But why shoot it in Black & White?  I am terrified neighbours will call round and think I don't have a colour TV.  Only one episode in and find it very slow after 'Renegade Nell'.

I just started 'A Gentleman in Moscow'.  Ewan McGregor stars despite sporting the most ludicrous false moustache I've seen on TV!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

But why shoot it in Black & White?  I am terrified neighbours will call round and think I don't have a colour TV.  Only one episode in and find it very slow after 'Renegade Nell'.

I just started 'A Gentleman in Moscow'.  Ewan McGregor stars despite sporting the most ludicrous false moustache I've seen on TV!

B & W gives an illusion of the era in which it's set. I don't mind it to be honest.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

B & W gives an illusion of the era in which it's set. I don't mind it to be honest.

Ripley's 'victim' is a painter; they view a Caravaggio; their view is of stunning Italian coastline; it's difficult to tell if the Picasso on the wall is from his 'blue' period.  There's a discussion about how hideous the colours of a dressing gown is.

For all that it's riveting.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

Ripley's 'victim' is a painter; they view a Caravaggio; their view is of stunning Italian coastline; it's difficult to tell if the Picasso on the wall is from his 'blue' period.  There's a discussion about how hideous the colours of a dressing gown is.

Started out giving a picture of the characters and quickly turned into a thriller. 

Dune 2 available.  Although I gave up after an hour, as less interesting to me than the first one, which I did manage to finish.   I even smoked a doobie, but it didn't help.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

White Lies

When investigative journalist Edie Hansen's estranged brother is murdered in his home, she's drawn into the dark underbelly of Cape Town. With her brother's children as prime suspects, she clashes with veteran detective Forty Bell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

I agree, it's entertaining, but it doesn't vary much from the movie, so no surprises.

Manhunt

Apple TV+

limited series - seven eps in total I think. I've watched five released as of today.

9.5/10

A thrilling (essentially a) police procedural covering the ~ ten days after Lincoln's assassination and the search for John Wilkes Booth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFT-b8eKdSo

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Curb Your Enthusiasm finale happened 

As you would expect they did some extra special finale type stuff such as including Jerry Seinfeld and referencing back to the widely disliked Seinfeld finale.

Whether you love or hate the finale or the entire final season who gives a crap.

Both Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm have been highlights for me and so many others 

That's all over now.

I feel sad.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/curb-your-enthusiasm-finale-review

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 4/8/2024 at 6:42 AM, giddyup said:

I agree, it's entertaining, but it doesn't vary much from the movie, so no surprises.

Here is one programme Im sure you will thrill too.   Got everything, could be related to events today   Brilliant

• Like 1

Saw Lahn-Mah yesterday: เรื่องย่อ หลานม่า (LAHN MAH) ภาพยนตร์ไทยแนวแฟมิลี่ดราม่า GDH (sanook.com)

Very nice Thai tear-jerker which I, the wife, the kid, and the kid's friends enjoyed. 8/10

Saw "The First Oman" today: The First Omen (2024) - IMDb

Seems to have gotten good reviews, but I thought it was pretty weak. 4/10

Also saw "Mothers' Instinct" today: Mothers' Instinct (2024) - IMDb 

I thought this was really great for the three quarters of the movie and just got a bit stupid like the writers ran out of ideas. Not bad, but it was only 90 minutes and really could have used another half hour to end it. Great acting and decent dialog I thought. 7/10

• Like 1

The Boy's Word: Blood on the Asphalt

Enjoying this one at the minute.

The late 1980s. While parents fight for survival in a changing world, children fight for the territory. Two 14-year-old boys, Andrey and Marat, are seeking protection and support amid violence and poverty - and find it on the streets.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tiber said:

Here is one programme Im sure you will thrill too.   Got everything, could be related to events today   Brilliant

Some things stand the test of time and some don't.

• Like 1