New laptop?

I am running an old laptop I guess about 8 years old it is getting verry slow now. It is an Acer E 15. So is it worse reformatting or just buy a new one which are pretty cheap here where I live, I am not in Thailand. What would you recommend? Not talking about brand but about ggb and ram. What do I need to run a laptop just for websites and mail (no gaming) Since I am in the west now no need to send me prices, I am just interested in the size of a decent laptop, my old one has 4 gb and 500 gb hdd. Any suggestion?

If you can upgrade to 8GB of RAM memory (or more) and an SSD drive (size of your choice) then reinstall Windows 10, you'll get a new computer experience for sure. Should cost from just 80 USD (depends on RAM and SSD capacity) and a bit of time to do so. This is what I do to extend life of laptops I seem to acquire.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

If you can upgrade to 8GB of RAM memory (or more) and an SSD drive (size of your choice) then reinstall Windows 10, you'll get a new computer experience for sure. Should cost from just 80 USD (depends on RAM and SSD capacity) and a bit of time to do so. This is what I do to extend life of laptops I seem to acquire.

Thanks Eddie but I am computer illiterate I am 76 years old 

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

I am running an old laptop I guess about 8 years old it is getting verry slow now. It is an Acer E 15. So is it worse reformatting or just buy a new one which are pretty cheap here where I live, I am not in Thailand. What would you recommend? Not talking about brand but about ggb and ram. What do I need to run a laptop just for websites and mail (no gaming) Since I am in the west now no need to send me prices, I am just interested in the size of a decent laptop, my old one has 4 gb and 500 gb hdd. Any suggestion?

Just add 4gb more ram for total of 8gb and replace hdd with an ssd 256gb or 500gb. Quite cheap now

Can install win 10.

• Confused 1

Or just format your current laptop and install Linux Mint, which will run much faster than Windows, if you just want to browse websites and send emails that will work out fine. You can download Mint for free, it comes with all the necessary apps preinstalled. Many people have got extra years from older low-spec laptops by switching to a Linux distro.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I would also recommend installing Linux Mint. I have a similar laptop and it works perfectly. If you aren't confident (or really don't want to be bothered) and/or have files on the laptop you don't want to risk losing, your friendly local mobile 'phone shop should be able to install it for you.  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, petermik said:

If he`s here in Thailand I would NOT recommend going to his local phone shop....more likely to brick it for him....Youtube is his friend.

On second thoughts perhaps you're right! We are fortunate that our guy is a family friend and, in addition to his core business also obtains secondhand computers to order.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are some laptop sizes. Need to choose.

Ultrabook/Chromebook: 9-13.5" x 8-11" x <1" @ 2 to 3 lbs.

Ultraportable: 9-13" x 8-9" x .2-1.3" @ 2-5 lbs.

Thin and Light: 11-15" x <11" x .5-1.5" @ 3-6 lbs.

Desktop Replacement: >15" x >11" x 1-2" @ >4 lbs.

Luggables: >18" x >13" x >1" @ >8 lbs.

14 or 15 inches seem to be the popular sizes.

Any laptop with i5 Apu, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd will suffice.

Brand Acer, Dell, HP, Asus, MSI etc...

Just look whats available and what you can afford.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with your exist notebook, just add more ram and an ssd and it will speed up.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I too am 76 years old and have just installed Windows 11 onto an Acer laptop which is not up to spec for it. 

Good on you! It really is not too difficult. You do need a little initial confidence and must ensure that you can't lose important data before you begin by backing-up to a cloud service or an external hard drive etc. I found Windows 10/11 to be too heavy for my mid-range 2012 laptop with 4GB RAM. Any Linux distro works just fine though.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I find there is a world of difference in portability between 15.6 and 14 inch. 14 inch seem so much easier to transport.

Yes 14'' has always been my go to size for a notebook as well.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1

That laptop should be fine for what you are doing. Maybe get another 4GB RAM installed, but I would also suggest it needs a 'clean out' and 'reset'. Do you know anyone with computer experience who can delete all the useless apps and memory wasters that you probably have in the setup, and then reset the OS (and install some additional RAM) ? 

Do you do any banking or financial transactions on the computer? If so then dont give it to a Thai shop to 'fix it' !!

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I found Windows 10/11 to be too heavy for my mid-range 2012 laptop with 4GB RAM.

A further 4GB RAM would have sorted that out then.

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Just add 4gb more ram for total of 8gb and replace hdd with an ssd 256gb or 500gb. Quite cheap now

Can install win 10.

Or Windows 11 !!!!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, still kicking said:

Thanks Eddie but I am computer illiterate I am 76 years old 

Maybe ask around for help among friends, neighbors, and relatives. Suggest you also get an estimate from your local computer shop. 

14 minutes ago, proton said:

Lucky an Acer laptop is still going after 8 years, I have found them along with HP to be the worst, Dell are better builds

Depends on how you physically treat them, and what you use them for. I had an i5 Lenovo worked perfectly through W8 and W10 for music production , until I dropped it !!!!

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, proton said:

Lucky an Acer laptop is still going after 8 years, I have found them along with HP to be the worst, Dell are better builds

Come on Acer..defamation.  555

How many Acers, HPs or Dells have you owned?

Edited by KannikaP

Just bought a Macbook Air M1, real bargain as they are getting phased out. Replaces the Intel Macbook predecessor. Cheaper, better, faster and just as sexy. M1/8/256. Runs Microsoft Office easily. Some people do video editing on it, but I haven't tried. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Come on Acer..defamation.  555

How many Acers, HPs or Dells have you owned?

2 of each Acer's was top of the range, all lasted 3 years after repairs

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Just bought a Macbook Air M1, real bargain as they are getting phased out. Replaces the Intel Macbook predecessor. Cheaper, better, faster and just as sexy. M1/8/256. Runs Microsoft Office easily. Some people do video editing on it, but I haven't tried. 

Got one, the sound on them is incredible, battery lasts 18 hours! still looking for a free driver to print to Canon ink jet

Edited by proton
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, proton said:

Got one, the sound on them is incredible, battery lasts 18 hours! still looking for a free driver to print to Canon ink jet

Yes, but I forgot to mention the most amazing feature: it stays cool, absolutely.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, proton said:

Wow! I have two Acer's. One from 2009 and the other from 2011. New keyboard fitted into the 2011. That's all.      

29 minutes ago, proton said:

You are doing something wrong then. SIX laptops going tits up needing repairs and then lasting only 3 years.

• Thumbs Up 1