Thailand moves to ban recreational cannabis use, 18 months after historic decriminalization

webfact

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

It would be interesting to see their books, and whether their booze sales and profits suffered more (or less) than their weed sales grew.

for them does it matter though ? isn't it like a 3 card monte in the end ? 

17 minutes ago, 2baht said:

They'd also take some F35 Raptors if anyone was stupid enough to sell it to them!

You must be taking the stuff if you think an F35 is a Raptor!

F35 is a Lightning II and an F22 is a Raptor!

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

... Followed the money - he makes up for it by buying a boatload of pizzas.

Excellent point.  But I don't think the pizza flippers have the same political clout as the beer brewers.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Impossible when you vape, no open fire. No real combustion as it just heat the stuff. So no total burn. Still not healthy but better then smoking it for real. Plus why would one set the bed on fire when you vape at a desk and then go to bed. 

Canabis never caused as much trouble as alcohol. 

So, is the thc oil for vaping easy to find? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Too bad havent slept so good since smoking cannabis. Improved my sleep a lot. Its stupid they ban this. Dinosaurs. 

Nothing wrong with cannabis just apply the same rules as alcohol and dont sell it to minors and near schools.

But too bad its done can't stop it. I hope i can still get a supply as i dont go out much i would risk it. Or try to get a medical card or something. Wonder what compromises will be made.

Needing the devils lettuce for the reason of insomnia would surely fall under medicinal usage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, stoner said:

BP updated on this yesterday. the headline in the BP says....draft bill on cannabis not finished says cholnan. what was forwarded was the health ministries views on the subject. 

then he goes on to state it is his firm belief that cannabis should be used strictly as medical. HIS VIEWS is the key phrase here. 

a khao san road business rep went on to say that it possibly generates 20 to 30 mb alone for khao san road per month. multiply that throughout the countries tourist areas and you have a large sum of money.

VERY large. 

I did walk though my own towns little tourist enclave last night and there are numerous marijuana shops . 

There were about 6 felangs just sitting there are staring at people walking by  .

I wondered what was going on, why were 6 people just staring at me , then I realised they were all stoned and out of it , well weird 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, stoner said:

couple weeks ago i walked down soi bukhao and saw dozens of foreigners just sitting there staring at me. then i realized they were all drunk and out of it. well weird. 

The drinkers in the bars  in the area where I went yesterday were all drinking with each and playing pool and talking with each other, as they usually do , the guys with spliffs were just sitting around staring and people walking by 

Edited by Nick Carter icp
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

this one time at band camp....

No, it was always like that .

I used to go there frequently and that was before the weed shops opened , since the weed shops openned, that is when the sitting  around starers began to appear

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The drinkers in the bars  in the area where I went yesterday were all drinking with each and playing pool and talking with each other, as they usually do , the guys with spliffs were just sitting around staring and people walking by 

I've played some of my best pool after a puff......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm afraid that genie is well and truly out of the bottle now.

No U turns possible.

Agreed, it will be hard now and they should rightfully see a lot of pushback
i expect what this is for is to bring in "medical cards" like they have in the US
first you go to the doctor next door and pay 500 baht for a card then you can buy
later they can then easily implement limits for card holders etc.
i could see them taking it a step further here, like the card is only valid for certain outlets or areas depending where you got the card

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, patman30 said:

i expect what this is for is to bring in "medical cards" like they have in the US
first you go to the doctor next door and pay 500 baht for a card then you can buy
later

I've seen no indication that the U.S. State model of medical cards is being considered here. I've never seen it mentioned by any Thai officials.

I think everyone understands that any medical card solution, unless following medical testing, and diagnosis, would simply be a tacit approval for recreational use. Could it be implemented to rebuff opposition? Sure.

And foreigners would be excluded from such a program, unless part of the social security programs.

I've scanned the draft bill via Google Translate and saw nothing in it prohibiting the possession or personal use of cannabis flower (over 0.2 %). There are limitations on the sale of cannabis flower. I could have missed something, it's quite a convoluted mess, more like an advanced degree thesis written by ThaiChatGPT. And is very similar to the draft bill first read last year.

Section 42: No person is allowed to sell marijuana, hemp, or extracts for consumption. Whether it's for the benefit in trade or given with compensation or other benefits or not By means or in a certain manner in any of the following ways: (1) Sell marijuana, hemp, or extracts for recreational purposes.

The punishment for this violation is a 60,000 baht fine (up to), but no jail time. Other violations related to production and distribution include fines and jail time. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Sad old dinosaurs can baulk all they want; weed made legal was a boon for Thailand, a real move forward. This illegal gov reneging on that puts it firmly back into old tyrant dinosaur territory. 

Sale for recreational use id illegal almost everywhere in the world. in the world. Accordsing ro Google, Commercial sale of recreational cannabis is legalized nationwide in three countries (Canada, Thailand, and Uruguay) and in all subnational U.S. jurisdictions that have legalized possession except Virginia and Washington, D.C. A policy of limited enforcement has also been adopted in many countries.

There are a lot of ifs and buts though that appear to expand that number.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1