Thai Restaurant Operators Ask Government to Unlock Alcohol Sale Hours

snoop1130

This 'No sale of booze from 2 pm to 5 pm' thing is both annoying and weird. It is a certainty that supermarkets, Seven elevens and similar places always stick to this rule and never sell booze those times, but for pubs and bars, it is a bit weird. I mean, for example most (maybe all?) touristy venues in lower Sukumvit DO sell booze those hours. But, I have come across a pub, which is actually a part of a 5 star hotel (near Central World), that doesn't sell booze those times. 2 weird things about this are that, one, the same place used to sell booze those times before the pandemic. And, two, one would expect a hotel to have more chance of being exempt from this rule. 

I have no idea how the situation is at most hotel bars/pubs in Bangkok. Any idea, folks? Usually, I don't drink at hotel venues. That place was an exception for me. From outside, actually, it doesn't even look like it is part of the hotel behind it. I only knew this when a waitress there told me :) 

Anyway, let us see if this rule will be scrapped sometime soon. Sadly, I give this only 30-40 percent chance. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, JemJem said:

This 'No sale of booze from 2 pm to 5 pm' thing is both annoying and weird. It is a certainty that supermarkets, Seven elevens and similar places always stick to this rule and never sell booze those times, but for pubs and bars, it is a bit weird. I mean, for example most (maybe all?) touristy venues in lower Sukumvit DO sell booze those hours. But, I have come across a pub, which is actually a part of a 5 star hotel (near Central World), that doesn't sell booze those times. 2 weird things about this are that, one, the same place used to sell booze those times before the pandemic. And, two, one would expect a hotel to have more chance of being exempt from this rule. 

I have no idea how the situation is at most hotel bars/pubs in Bangkok. Any idea, folks? Usually, I don't drink at hotel venues. That place was an exception for me. From outside, actually, it doesn't even look like it is part of the hotel behind it. I only knew this when a waitress there told me :) 

Anyway, let us see if this rule will be scrapped sometime soon. Sadly, I give this only 30-40 percent chance. 

Perhaps I misunderstand this but I've frequently gone into bars of varying sorts in Pattaya in the afternoons and never been refused service of a beer or liquor drink. There's no attempt to hide the service - some of the bars are open air or right on the beach road.

Some of them also sell food so could be defined as restaurants.

I've equally frequently seen the fridges in 7/11 etc locked  closed in the afternoons. 

So is it just restaurants who are supposed not to sell alcohol between 2 and 5pm?

Not all these places can be openly flouting the law even in Pattaya...can they?

Also, the article says it's a 50-year old law, but I'm tolerably certain that I recall it being introduced in the eighties.

Confused....me..... YES! :ermm:

46 minutes ago, gmmarvin said:

This ban on the sell of alcohol was first put into place back in 1970 to stop the business men from extending their lunch breaks.  The latest reason is to protect school children from buying alcohol during school hours.  A farce 50 years ago as it is now

And asking for ID that every Thai carries has clearly never occurred to anyone. Or clearly shows that reason was only given as a cover for suppression.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And asking for ID that every Thai carries has clearly never occurred to anyone. Or clearly shows that reason was only given as a cover for suppression.

Asking regular people to do what is perceived as the job of the police is not likely to fly here, particularly as it impacts their own profits. 

• Agree 1

I used to arrive regularly from Saudi on December 5th. The Late King's Birthday. Alcohol ban in place. No bars open near Nana. however, walk around the corner to the Tops Supermarket, and buy as much as I wanted. Back to the hotel room and watch a few movies. :blush:

• Confused 2

It's a weird law. Pretty much every pub that I frequent in Bangkok serves all afternoon. I've only experienced the 2pm-5pm ban in certain restaurants in the shopping malls (although never in Wine Connection).  It's totally inconsistent.

I "kind of" get it in 7-11 (if the population are really that irresponsible as to require booze locked away from them at that period) but in decent restaurants in tourist areas it's absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 1

The rule is typical of a dinosaur government not wanting anything to change.

Fear of change syndrome. (it is also the reason why education here will never change.)

Thailand wants and needs tourists.

Tourists on holiday tend to drink at different times.

Being told that they can only buy alcohol between 11.00 and 14.00 and then 17.00 and 24.00 is in opposition to encouraging tourists.

Yes, we all know that we can get a beer no matter the time, but tourists do not.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Totally agree.

IMO it is an example of the culture here. It's one of many hangovers of Sakdina, whereby the Munnai control the Phrai. Those in power still think they have a duty to control the unruly 'peasants' so they come up with these sanctimonious 'pointless' rules as a show of power and to make themselves feel righteous. They consider themselves the adults who have a duty to control the children. The attitude was particularly noticeable in Prayut (he didn't have the self awareness to hide it) but essentially all the 'leaders' think this way.   

So it may appear pointless, but it does have the effect of being another nail to reinforce this hierarchical relationship between the 'good people' and the 'stupid' proles. 

Nicely put.

I mentioned a similar view but yours is much better said. :thumbsup:

Thank you

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

4834dc5790dee5fbd5070291a30961c4.jpg

Thai Restaurant operators are asking the Thai government to unlock alcohol sale hours and end periods of sales being restricted, especially from 2PM to 5PM in the afternoons.

The President of the Restaurant Operators Association of Thailand Mr. Sorathep Rojpojjanaras (Steep) told Thai Media, “Entertainment venues legal closing hours have been extended to 4:00 A.M. Restaurant operators want the government to consider legal alcohol sale hours too, especially in the afternoons.”

“We have sent a letter to the Prime Minister formally requesting to unlock alcohol sale hours during 2:00P.M. to 5:00P.M. in order to boost food and beverage businesses. We need this as a New Year gift from the Thai government,” Mr. Sorathep explained.

“To relieve sales obstacles from restaurant businesses, the alcohol sale ban hours from 2:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M. should be canceled. This ban has continued for more than 50 years. The ban hours have caused problems with foreign tourists and many of them do not understand why there is a ban and then argue with business owners,” Sorathep added.

“Thailand is a tourism driven country. This alcohol sale hours ban is not international law. Thailand’s economy and tourism business have not completely been restored when compared with before the Covid-19 pandemic,”Mr. Sorathep noted.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: The Pattaya News 2024-01-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

So, restaurant owners ask permission to serve alcohol between 2pm and 5pm.
Isn't that a bit ridiculous, after all, my lunch is always between 12:00 and 14:00, so it seems more logical to me to be allowed to serve alcohol from noon onwards, after all, a glass of Chablis with lunch is not to be sneezed at...

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Isn't that a bit ridiculous, after all, my lunch is always between 12:00 and 14:00, so it seems more logical to me to be allowed to serve alcohol from noon onwards

Isn't it a bit ridiculous to suggest they ask to be allowed selling alcohol during hours they are permitted already?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

The rule is typical of a dinosaur government not wanting anything to change.

Fear of change syndrome. (it is also the reason why education here will never change.)

Thailand wants and needs tourists.

Tourists on holiday tend to drink at different times.

Being told that they can only buy alcohol between 11.00 and 14.00 and then 17.00 and 24.00 is in opposition to encouraging tourists.

Yes, we all know that we can get a beer no matter the time, but tourists do not.

If the current government was in any way 'progressive' this is the first law they would abandon.

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

I don't mind the afternoon restriction because I'm napping then. It's the morning one that gets me. We always like to shop early morning to avoid the crowds, but if I need to stock up on my booze, I have to make another trip to the local grog  shop after 11am.

It's not about you...........................:biggrin:

• Thumbs Up 1

The alcohol sale ban here had me reflecting on alcohol sale ban in Western Kentucky. No alcohol sale on Sunday because ... god. Before that no stores allowed to open before noon on Sunday because ... god - you are supposed to be in church heathen! Hypocrisy? Of course, some counties bannd all alcohol sales (dry counties). Cross over the county line and you could buy (wet counties). Ah the foolishness of the human spirit. as to the Thai ban from 2-5? I would favor all sit down restaurants being exempt from the 2-5 ban.

• Thumbs Up 1

The most ridiculous thing about it all is you can walk from the 7-11 to the Mom-and-Pop store next door and buy booze all day. That includes Buddhist days and Royal birthdays.

Similarly, you can buy cigarettes in singles or three sticks at these stores, something else that was outlawed, and reappeared as fast as it was forbidden.

It's all completely daft.

Various excuses have been used for this 2pm–5pm alcohol ban on selling, the last government stated they were going to repeal the act/law as it no longer served any useful purpose, not that it ever did.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I was caught out by this in a recent post I made. It is a 50 year old law but, like all laws in Thailand, it was ignored. Until Thaksin's government decided it must be enforced in a bid to pi** off confuse tourists for no reason at all. And then, in fine Thai tradition, it was ignored again except by high-profile stores and most - seemingly not all - places where it is legal to drink at 1.59 but not at 2.01.

The UK had exactly the same law introduced during WW2 to prevent munitions workers from getting drunk, but it was later repealed (although not for a long time after the war). As usual, Thailand lags behind. The justification was to prevent kids who were in school slipping out to buy booze, and was the idea of a government minister who also wanted to close pubs at 10 and nightclubs at midnight. That lunacy, at least, got shouted down.

you need to lose that chip off your shoulder. Thaksin didn't piss off tourists and anyone who told you he did is mistaken. The economy was booming under Thaksin. If not being able to get a drink in the afternoon is such a problem for you I suggest you seek help..........or a bar that does sell alcohol in the afternoons. It not that there is a shortage of them. 

You seem confused also whether you're a tourist or a resident. 

Edited by Jackbenimble
additional comment

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

Isn't that a bit ridiculous, after all, my lunch is always between 12:00 and 14:00, so it seems more logical to me to be allowed to serve alcohol from noon onwards, after all, a glass of Chablis with lunch is not to be sneezed at...

You could try snuff for that.

54 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

Ever considered that one day in the not too distant future and with a few twists alcohol sales might eventually be banned in the UK and Europe under Sharia law?   

Perfectly possible if a left wing government get into power. We can't have those nasty natives upsetting the immigrants. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1