Trump wins Iowa caucuses, cementing frontrunner status in 2024 race

webfact

Great, great result....Vivek has dropped out of the race apparently. I have been worried about warmonger Haley in the event that Trump doesn't get through his legal quagmire, but she got beaten by De Santis, thank god. 

It's all over now bar the shouting, apart of course from some 11th hour scandal involving Trump and a minor. 

Bring him back, please God, save us from the evil Genocide Joe Biden.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

I'm going to USA in a couple of months: anyone have suggestions as to where I might move all my money to that might weather the least damage if Trump becomes president.

I'm not yet eligible to start collecting MY social security, but as my friend was telling me, be careful with the GOP, they are already eyeing to cut social security, so I better consider collecting my money earlier than if the Dems are in power.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, retarius said:

If he sticks with the current VP and laughing hyena, Harris, he is doomed. 

I like that description. Seems eminently suitable.

Have any of the GOP candidates been pointing out that the VP is likely to be president at some stage in the 4 year term, and that she completely failed on the southern border. If she can't sort that, how can she be expected to sort the world?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I like that description. Seems eminently suitable.

Have any of the GOP candidates been pointing out that the VP is likely to be president at some stage in the 4 year term, and that she completely failed on the southern border. If she can't sort that, how can she be expected to sort the world?

I do think if he picks her, it will get plenty of publicity.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

Gallup Poll:

https://dailycaller.com/2024/01/12/democrats-party-id-record-low-2024-poll/

A record low percentage of Americans identified as Democrats in 2023 ahead of a contentious presidential election year, according to a Friday poll.

Only 27% of Americans self-identify as Democrats, reaching the smallest figure for the party in Gallup’s recorded history, according to the survey. 

And from USA Today:

Biden now claims the support of just 63% of Black voters, a precipitous decline from the 87% he carried in 2020, according to the Roper Center. He trails among Hispanic voters by 5 percentage points, 39%-34%; in 2020 he had swamped Trump among that demographic group 2 to 1, 65%-32%.

And among voters under 35, a generation largely at odds with the GOP on issues such as abortion access and climate change, Trump now leads 37%-33%. Younger voters overwhelmingly backed Biden in 2020.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/01/01/biden-trump-poll-odds-black-hispanic-young-voters/72072111007/

So you are going with polls this early in the election?

52 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Political parties occupying the White House typically don't have presidential primaries.

Your knowledge of this subject seems limited.

Actually, they do. Especially when the incumbent is unpopular. Recent examples- 1992, 1980, 1976...

The big problem for the dems is that they have a DEI hire in the VP spot, so it is hard to replace Biden without giving Harris a shot at the nomination. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

21 minutes ago, retarius said:

Great, great result....Vivek has dropped out of the race apparently. I have been worried about warmonger Haley in the event that Trump doesn't get through his legal quagmire, but she got beaten by De Santis, thank god. 

It's all over now bar the shouting, apart of course from some 11th hour scandal involving Trump and a minor. 

Bring him back, please God, save us from the evil Genocide Joe Biden.

Sooooooo, Haley got beaten :cheesy: ( X all the pundits forecasting her coming second ).

That's very good news. Hopefully she keeps losing.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Screenshot_16.jpg.ed06f02d7057028db4dfdf095571793b.jpg

Vivek Ramaswamy dropping out of presidential race following Iowa caucuses

Ohio businessman Vivek Ramaswamy is suspending his presidential campaign, ending his bid for the Republican nomination after coming in fourth in the Iowa caucuses

"As of this moment, we are going to suspend this presidential campaign," Ramaswamy told his supporters and reporters. 

Ramaswamy said he's offered former President Donald Trump his full endorsement, and said he would appear with Trump on Tuesday. CBS News projects Trump will win the Iowa caucuses. 

The news follows a lackluster performance in the Iowa caucuses and a failure to maintain the short-lived momentum he had garnered in the summer after the second Republican debate.

(more)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vivek-ramaswamy-drops-out-2024-presidential-race-iowa-caucuses/

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It really kills me to be the one to break this to you but [drumroll] - 51% is a majority. :laugh:

It would apppear that it is not I who has the problem with arithmetic. :whistling:

Voter turnout in Iowa this time around is estimated at 110,000. This is a VERY large drop from 2016 when it was 187,000. The weather certainly had something to do with it but not to the extent of being 40% down. So for those that held their nose and voted, half of them voted for Trump, that makes approx. 56,000. In 2016, Trump came second to Cruz with 24% of the vote - 24% of 187,000 is 45,000. 

In other words Trump only managed to convince another 11,000 people to vote for him in Iowa than did in 2016.

If 'Trump is so popular with Republican voters' as you previously stated, how come he can still only get 51% to vote for him and only increase his vote count by 20%? I would suggest that even in the GOP, Trump is not nearly as popular as you are trying to make out (obviously excluding all the MAGA brigade) and he will have to get an awful lot of them on-side come November (as well as the swing voters) if he is to carry the day. I predict that won't happen but not having a crystal ball like all of you Trump fans seem to have, I'll wait with patience to see what happens.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually, they do. Especially when the incumbent is unpopular. Recent examples- 1992, 1980, 1976...

The big problem for the dems is that they have a DEI hire in the VP spot, so it is hard to replace Biden without giving Harris a shot at the nomination. 

Their only real choice without setting off the DEI Gods is Michelle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stats said:

The news follows a lackluster performance in the Iowa caucuses and a failure to maintain the short-lived momentum he had garnered in the summer after the second Republican debate.

Such a short lived momentum that I never heard of him till today.

Perhaps he might be hoping for VP if he's supporting Trump now.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Their only real choice without setting off the DEI Gods is Michelle.

I had to look up DEI, but if that is what we have sunk to, that we have to have that useless person in contention for POTUS because of some PC rubbish, we are already on the path to doom, IMO.

When did picking the best candidate cease to be an option?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Such a short lived momentum that I never heard of him till today.

Perhaps he might be hoping for VP if he's supporting Trump now.

That's why what he did was actually pretty amazing.  Came from nowhere.  No name recognition.  No history.  And yet, scored a respectable number.  Not competitive, but respectable.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg
Donald Trump earned the widely-expected victory over former UN envoy Nikki Haley and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis [Andrew Harnik/AP]

Former United States President Donald Trump has won the Iowa caucuses, cementing his Republican frontrunner status as he bids to retake the White House in 2024.

Trump earned the widely-expected victory over former US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, taking him a step closer to securing a third consecutive nomination for the Republican Party, projections by multiple US media outlets showed on Monday.

Full story: AL JAZEERA 2024-01-16

Wow!! Iowa:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1