Your opinion of eradication of dogs

5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Banning monks from feeding all the dogs that hang out at the temples would be a good place to start.

The government dictating to The Sangha? That doesn’t even work in Commie Laos.

6 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I personally witnessed a Thai man die when he tried to drive his motorbike around a soi dog sleeping in the road. He startled the dog, the dog jumped and collided with the bike, the guy fell to the road and broke his neck.

But hey - I guess he forgot to put on his amulet that day. Sum num na.

One of the reasons why I stopped cycling.

Those damn stray dogs.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

In Pratumnak the alpha males disappeared, dogs were calm and no problem, maybe the authorities got smart eventually and removed the alphas

I noticed that also in that area, far fewer dogs around the 7/11 and down at the beach soi 5, there were about 12 hanging around there at one point

Have you noticed also, how many farangs have small pet dogs they walk in that area? I have seen many different pedigree breeds

I'm all for getting rid of them.  We have about 6 or more stray dogs near where we live on the Darkside.  Thai spouse finally got the municipality on the horn and they agreed to come pick them up, give them shots, neuter them, etc.  However, then they said they would return them to our soi!   We said NO, we don't want them, nobody owns them, but here they all are back again.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, n00dle said:

I have a simple personality test for people too. Anyone who is not able to understand the nuances between a family pet or even a docile community-fed stray and a pack of half-feral strays should be abandoned late at night deep in their territory. It is a fine way to cull the simpletons.

loving dogs does not mean ignoring problems.    

Lame attempt at witticism and logical fallacy 

In over 60 years I have never had a problem anywhere in Thailand with dogs. I am totally opposed to any form of 'eradication'. The OP says he has PTSD because of dogs. He needs to see a doctor specializing in mental health issues.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

At the heart of this issue is the fact that dogs aren't regarded as pets........not in rural areas at least. They are not cared for, they just exist.....and are allowed to breed at will.

Dog licensing would sort it.....tell an Isaan farmer he has to pay a 1000 baht per year per dog and they'll all be gone in a month.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

I would not mind it , if the would start with you. 

I have a simple personality test for people. Anyone who does not  love dogs has something seriously wrong with them  and is to be avoided and kept an eye on. Removal from the gene pool is recommended but a lobotomy is not necessary IMO as one seems to have naturally happened to them during birth. 

Is there an uncontrolled dog problem Thailand? sure is, are there better  and more humane solutions other that what the Op is suggesting?

Absolutely! and many other countries have successfully adopt  them.  A nationally comprehensive spay and neuter  program would see immediate reduction, and total elimination of the problem with in a dog generation.

Not unlike the program I suggest for those who don't love dogs:smile:

And anyone who loves dogs is a really well balanced individual?;

image.png.2e2093ecd98b4b3c453f4f91928b4a3e.png

And just to emphasise what a lovely person he was:

image.png.04d91a869924ec640eb955c2e65b169c.png

What was it you said?......."It would start with you".

You mean the "Solution" to the "People not Loving Dogs Problem"

How about getting a conference together to plan it?.........I hear that "Haus Wannsee" is still taking bookings.

You people are a ******* curse.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

In over 60 years I have never had a problem anywhere in Thailand with dogs. I am totally opposed to any form of 'eradication'. The OP says he has PTSD because of dogs. He needs to see a doctor specializing in mental health issues.

You are obviously not a regular bicyclist in LOS. I've been cycling all over Thailand and every time I go out on my push-bike, I take a stick and an air pistol that uses plastic pellets. I have ALWAYS been chased by effing soi dogs. The pistol gives them a sting and is not lethal. With some, it takes more than one shot to get the message home, but they eventually learn to leave this guy alone. I have had Thai people cheering me for doing so.

They need to be spayed and brought under control.

8 minutes ago, Enoon said:

And anyone who loves dogs is a really well balanced individual?;

Logical fallacy , I will leave it up to you to figure out why. 

Sorry to do this to you after y spend all this time getting all these nice pictures that you probably thought supported your post 

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes I have used the word "eradication" but it means to finish cull kill the stray dogs in places like Isaan 

Obviously I suffer from PTSD from these dog attacks and this morning I'm at the bus stop (Australia) waiting to go to work when I start thinking of the mutts back in Thailand that tried to attack me on the street in Isaan 

The bus starts to arrive and I just start thinking of those dogs and I just shout out *Fxck them !!!

And people at the bus stop let me on the bus first and I tell them I am shouting at the nasty dogs not them ! 

Back in 2017 I went to a remote village with a Thai lady ,I decided to walk by myself to a temple to look at the memorial graves statues 

I could hear barking dogs in the distance but never took much notice

Soon a whole pack arrived barking mutts with spit hanging off their mouths 

Threatened me with words of threats 

Luckily a monk who what was going on .

Later I'm in the back of a motorcycle trailer in the side seat only to have another passing mutt try to attack me 

Your thoughts on culling of these dogs that are angry 

Cull the feral dogs and the original irresponsible owners who wanted them as puppies but not as grown dogs.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

555. What a joke.  Unless you happen to be Thai or have citizenship this has nothing to do with you. Bringing your HOA attitudes from wherever you came doesn't apply.  You are all temporary visitors. This is not your country.  These dogs have a right to exist in their own country. It's not up to you to decide whether they should be killed or not.  You choose to come here - so adapt.  Or leave. It's a simple as that.  Don't start slinging your western values around.  This isn't a western country.  Those values don't apply.  Only the Thai Government has the right to intercede.  And if they don't, well then that's it.

As has been said before - you can tell the quality of a person by the way they interact with animals.

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes I have used the word "eradication" but it means to finish cull kill the stray dogs in places like Isaan 

Obviously I suffer from PTSD from these dog attacks and this morning I'm at the bus stop (Australia) waiting to go to work when I start thinking of the mutts back in Thailand that tried to attack me on the street in Isaan 

The bus starts to arrive and I just start thinking of those dogs and I just shout out *Fxck them !!!

And people at the bus stop let me on the bus first and I tell them I am shouting at the nasty dogs not them ! 

Back in 2017 I went to a remote village with a Thai lady ,I decided to walk by myself to a temple to look at the memorial graves statues 

I could hear barking dogs in the distance but never took much notice

Soon a whole pack arrived barking mutts with spit hanging off their mouths 

Threatened me with words of threats 

Luckily a monk who what was going on .

Later I'm in the back of a motorcycle trailer in the side seat only to have another passing mutt try to attack me 

Your thoughts on culling of these dogs that are angry 

Some these creatures love more than others.

They can smell your "Angst" and see you as prey. Have always some treats with you and make friends with them. Also talk to them. Not as you did at the bus station😂

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Some these creatures love more than others.

They can smell your "Angst" and see you as prey. Have always some treats with you and make friends with them. Also talk to them. Not as you did at the bus station😂

Nope, eff them, I'm not paying a road tax to big stanky vermin. Gas and pellets are cheaper, and they soon learn to leave me alone and I leave them alone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Has Mr Reeves any more Words of Wisdom for us all please?

quote me, kannibaly:

A visitor who doesn't respect my dog, is no longer my friend !

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Dogs sense the fact that you viscerally hate dogs.  Funny how perceptive they can be.  So they act accordingly.  Aggressively.  Also dogs are territorial and will defend their territory against strangers.  So stop being a stranger.  There are ways to approach dogs.  Call it "Pack Etiquette."  Develop a 'child's-mind' and start someplace like here:  https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dont-lick-the-dog-wendy-wahman/1101904652

Me.  I walk though our village to the local park to exercise daily.  When I walk, local dogs come and follow me.  Calm, submissive, smiling, happy dogs.  There are a few frightened dogs who will run.  There are a couple of grumpy dogs that look threatening but are all bluff.

By the way.  Start killing dogs and you'll find yourself in legal trouble and possibly deported.  Which given your hatred of the stray dog populations that are part and parcel of Thai society, will possibly be your fate.  Do it in my village and I'd work with the police to catch and prosecute you.  Most Thais will feel the same. 

Change your attitude and learn more about dog behavior.  Then work with people in your village to neuter and spay strays.  I do it out of my own pocket.

Perhaps a different, non-Buddhist country would be a better fit for you if you hate dogs so much. But start killing strays?  Don't be stupid.  Actions like that here have serious consequences.  Best of luck. 

HappierTimes.thumb.jpg.ea5f1add54e4d51670fb8c5f976fa80c.jpg
Part of a my pack while a Buddhist monk.

• Strangely enough , Cambodia is a Buddhist country but does not have the same dog problems as Thailand . They eat the stray dogs as was once a common practice in Thailand . My neighbor ( Doctor ) has 10 dogs, ( many bitches so soon it will be 20 ) that roam the streets and bark and growl  at every vehicle or pedestrian .The dogs are full of fleas and worms and are hardly fed . One of the dogs that is only about 1 year old has a back legs problem , can barely walk and is in pain but the doctor ignores it . Not exactly a responsible owner . l have seen Thai folk pick up dead dogs off the road to eat . With rabies on the up in Thailand , the Thai government should be seen to protect the human population from stray dogs rather than turning a blind eye . Maybe introduce dog licences and state that all dogs to wear a collar with owners address / phone number. No I.D. the dogs to be put in a pound for 1 month and if not claimed by the original owner or a new owner to buy them , they should be humanely killed . If claimed by the original owner a fine to be levied for no dog I.D. and probably no licence too .

4 hours ago, connda said:

issue in Thailand has its roots in Buddhism ethics:  Not killing and having compassion for self-aware beings

I've come around to this way of thinking after having problems with pigeons on my balcony. At home it would be the airgun and a black garbage bag. 

That's not how things are done in Thailand, and I get it. Pigeons can't help being filthy and annoying and shouldn't be killed for being so. It required a bit of ingenuity, but I've succeeded in making my pigeon problem someone else's pigeon problem.  I've gone native! 

3 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

As a fellow PTSD sufferer, I urge the OP to spend some around dogs in an ultra chill vibe.

This post is the opposite of self care.

Spend some what? 'Time' maybe you meant, but forgot to type it.

13 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Nope, eff them, I'm not paying a road tax to big stanky vermin. Gas and pellets are cheaper, and they soon learn to leave me alone and I leave them alone.

Hahaha, we'll see who lives longer.. 😂

• Agree 1