Thailand starts checking foreigners' passports on domestic flights

webfact

43 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Wtf are they smoking?

I don't ever remember been allowed to check in without showing my passport 

What are you smoking? I have never shown my passport, flying domestically, pink card or DL only FWIW 2 flights last month, 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

What are you smoking? I have never shown my passport, flying domestically, pink card or DL only FWIW 2 flights last month, 

Yeah so that is now over, unless you have a police report showing your passport is stolen then.

• Agree 2

If they are really going after the overstayers roaming around the country - who are very likely to be amongst the more impecunious of travellers - then they should perhaps be concentrating on the bus terminals!

That should be fun over New Year and Songkran!

PS. I would pay close attention to the chap in the black and yellow striped shirt in the OP! Definitely trying to be inconspicuous and blend into the background that one!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

One nights work in the Lower Sukhumvit Free Trade Zone would net far more overstayers and illegal workers.

:cheesy: The Indian/Srilankan guys who sell peanuts don't fly around Thailand

Edited by VocalNeal

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have never had to show my passport for a domestic flight.  My Thai drivers license has always been sufficient.

Those who lost their passports can board with a temporary passport, or with a non-Thai ID card or a driver's license issued by the Thai government.

It should say 'those who do not have their Passport readily available''

3 hours ago, bdenner said:

Can't remember I time, over the past 22 years, where I boarded a domestic flight WITHOUT my passport!!!

I think we use the same airport--and I haven't had to use Passport, since I got Pink card--- but still had it on me as had to use it in most  Hotels, for them to check Visa  I guess.

What might happen is that the airport authorities will have to forward passengers’ passport details to immi who can cross check visa status and be ready and waiting for overstayers when they turn up for return flight

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

What might happen is that the airport authorities will have to forward passengers’ passport details to immi who can cross check visa status and be ready and waiting for overstayers when they turn up for return flight

.............because they have spare time on their hands and can do that......

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

I think we use the same airport--and I haven't had to use Passport, since I got Pink card--- but still had it on me as had to use it in most  Hotels, for them to check Visa  I guess.

The pink card should not work.

If you translate the first point on the back of the card, it clearly states that it is "Not an ID card".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe after check in  and landing. foreigners will be herded to an immigration checkpoint just like for international flights, otherwise I don't see much difference, ID has always been required  and boarding pass has to be shown prior to boarding

The middle name could be an issue,  last time I booked a domestic flight  with air asia there was no opportunity to enter my middle name on the website,  has that been addressed ?    I just looked, and it has not !:unsure:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Never ??     did you never fly domestically prior to having a pink ID or DL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

How’s this going to prevent overstays? Are the air carriers now expected to check visas? Another case of “lets do it and see what happens” rather than doing a simple feasibility study.  

Joined up data bases between airlines and immigration is the answer to that. An overstayer could be flagged up and the info passed to immigration. it's done in the UK and probably many other countries that have immigration issues.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Never ??     did you never fly domestically prior to having a pink ID or DL

No I didn’t, I have had a Thai DL for years before coming to live here permanently, so I never flew domestically during my tourist stays.

Foreigners in Thailand now required to show passports on domestic flights
By Online Reporter 

image.jpeg

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand has mandated that all foreign nationals must present a valid passport or equivalent identification when boarding domestic flights.

This new requirement, effective from January 16, marks a tighter control on travel within the country, particularly aimed at curbing visa overstays as the tourism sector experiences a rebound.

Under the new regulation, foreign passengers are required to produce their original passport, with the name matching that on their boarding pass, to be allowed onto a domestic flight.

The Civil Aviation Authority has provided some flexibility for those who have lost their passports, allowing them to board with a temporary passport or a non-Thai identification card, such as a driver’s license, issued by the Thai government.

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2024-01-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1 hour ago, sungod said:

You'd need your passport anyway if checking into a hotel.

No you don't - a photocopy will do. Hotels just need the information for the TM 30.

Some hotels accept Thai id or driving licence.

When I travel domestic, I never carry my passport. Too much aggro if lost or stolen.

I never go to check in - always online check in and just a backpack.

But I always have a copy of my passport including the arrival stamp and visa.

For everything else I use Thai driving licence.

Thai id is no real use for airports as the name does not match the boarding pass. The airline can refuse to accept it.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

If you translate the first point on the back of the card, it clearly states that it is "Not an ID card".

Yup-Your right Hands it does say that --which makes it confusing as Thai Law online ....says the same, then goes on to tell you how you can use it in Banks-Hospitals-Hotels , etc

Doesn't mention airports , & even though that has been what I have been using--I guess with the new rules its a moot point now.

https://thailawonline.com/thai-pink-id-for-foreigners/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, huangnon said:

Maybe it depends on which airport you're using.?

Flying from U-Tapao airport a few years ago, the woman checking us in on a Bangkok Airways counter insisted that we show the passport for our son who has dual Thai / UK nationality..:unsure:

Does your son have an ID card, as a Thai national it is usually given at about age 7 (according to SWMBO), but in any event rules for children are rather more strict and specific than for adults, comments here are generally talking about adults personally going on domestic flights.

1 minute ago, oxo1947 said:

I guess with the new rules its a moot point now.

They are not new rules.

They were first brought in when a bomb was found on the plane that Thaksin was about to  board. It was under his seat.

Before then, no checking of passenger's id for domestic flights.

AND you could carry guns as long as you discharged the weapon into a barrel of sand just before check in.

https://english.cambodiadaily.com/news/bombing-of-thai-pms-plane-bewilders-visiting-officials-20287/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB983784572920287408

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Thai id is no real use for airports as the name does not match the boarding pass. The airline can refuse to accept it.

It is likely that they can refuse, however personal experience shows that in my case they seldom do, I do however have both of my Thai DLs if required, I sometimes have my passport but it has never been asked for.

• Thumbs Up 2