Thailand starts checking foreigners' passports on domestic flights

webfact

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Maybe after check in  and landing. foreigners will be herded to an immigration checkpoint just like for international flights, otherwise I don't see much difference, ID has always been required  and boarding pass has to be shown prior to boarding

The middle name could be an issue,  last time I booked a domestic flight  with air asia there was no opportunity to enter my middle name on the website,  has that been addressed ?    I just looked, and it has not !:unsure:

Have never been pulled on middle name not being included on boarding passes, and as you say with AA there is no field for it. Also therefore the booking doesn't match credit card it was booked on. Could try inputting given and middle names in first field, but probably won't accept the space. Airlines should really get their S together as it could potentially catch a lot of people out if immigration start getting all silly and anal about middle names.

But isn't it just grand everything getting tighter and tighter? Makes one feel glad all over that the powers that be are looking out for us... :coffee1:

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I can't remember the last time I SHOWED my passport. I use my pink ID card. Sometimes this has been a problem only because some of the staff don't know what it is. This misunderstanding (on their part) is quickly sorted out.

You need to be on a Thabien Baan somewhere to get one of those though and most foreigners aren't.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

What is it about these pink ID cards that make people bang on about them. It seems odd to depend on something that may or may not be recognized?

I use mine all the time never had a problem flights hotels police station hospital, I  even pay the thai price at the dentist not foreigner price cost me 200 baht and it’s for life as I’m over 60 even used it when I went to the Toyota showroom to purchase my SUV

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

This is certainly a step in the right direction!

However, only 1% of overstayers are travelling by air.

But at the same time, 99% of overstayers have a bank account in Thailand.

I suggest that the Government should issue a new order under which all banks in Thailand will be obliged to check if their foreign clients, individuals who have a bank account in Thailand, are staying in Thailand on a valid visa.

In case of any doubt, they should report immediately to RTP and Immigration.

It’s bad enough waiting to withdraw money from the bank getting them to check on visa status would be doing all those IOs out of a job the simplest method would be to have a proper update on a computer attached at the local IO

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

They always check your boarding pass against your ID before customs and at the gate. 

There is no customs on domestic flights. I guess you mean at the security check before you enter airside - almost always checked there on all flights I've taken, domestic or international and, as you say, again at the gate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

The so-called "Pink ID Card" was originally introduced in Thailand for people without any citizenship who don't have a national passport.

Now this "Pink ID Card" is widely abused by foreign criminals and fugitives who have found a safe heaven in Thailand.

It's high time to cancel this dubious practice.

Please explain your reasoning I’m not a fugitive criminal have lived in the Kingdom for nearly 20 years and have invested in property during that time period to get a pink card is not simple you have to have certain documents maybe you know all these so called fugitives and criminals to come up with such accusations 

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Nope.  Thai DL always accepted for me and, on the odd occasion I have forgotten it (mine lives in my car so if a passenger...) the photo of same on my phone has done the job.

PH

The law for foreigners is that you need to check in with a passport, if the law is not followed then that's another thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

The pink card should not work.

If you translate the first point on the back of the card, it clearly states that it is "Not an ID card".

You seem very sure about this. Did you actually see this ........

Screenshot (1217).png

1 hour ago, damo1967 said:

Well.. you have NO excuse now if your boarding pass does not have your middle name.  Match your exact name from your D/L or PP on your flight ticket from 'now'.   Your post does not make a lot of sense sorry??? 

Tickets already booked with first and last name only. No middle names on the tickets. Make sense now? 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A foreign passenger must hold the original passport with the name matching that on the boarding pass in order to board a domestic flight, the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand said.

This has been in forced on all my flights for the past 10 years.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

There is no customs on domestic flights. I guess you mean at the security check before you enter airside - almost always checked there on all flights I've taken, domestic or international and, as you say, again at the gate.

Indeed my error. It's the TSA (Transport Security Administration).

17 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

The so-called "Pink ID Card" was originally introduced in Thailand for people without any citizenship who don't have a national passport.

Now this "Pink ID Card" is widely abused by foreign criminals and fugitives who have found a safe heaven in Thailand.

Rubbish. You can get it by being married to a Thai.

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So, what is the change. They have always asked for some kind of identification for boarding domestic flights. Now it´s still valid id such as passport, pink id or driver license that works. Same same!

From the leading article, "The tighter rules are intended to prevent unlawful overstays by foreign nationals." Who knows what sort of paperwork, including fakery from KSR, is being carried around and proffered as legit.

So it is aimed at tourist, illegal overstays and the like and not for us resident squatters with a wedge in the bank and all our other home-grown entitlements like a local DL and a pink ID card.

At ease.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:
20 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Rubbish. You can get it by being married to a Thai.

But not exclusively. I got mine all by myself, with no need to even mention her existence.

Right proud of myself, I was. Like being allowed to go to the sweet shop by yourself when you're a kid.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You are wrong, as much as you don't want to be - but you are, so let's keep banging on about the very simple fact that it is NOT an official ID card.

If you translate the first point on the back of the card, it clearly states that it is "Not an ID card".

You are wrong. This clearly states it's an ID card for Non-Thais. Of course you need to qualify for one. Those of us with these ID Cards know this to be the case.

image.png.93e458cc29f216b8f0754e9536e10b2d.png

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Does your son have an ID card, as a Thai national it is usually given at about age 7 (according to SWMBO), but in any event rules for children are rather more strict and specific than for adults, comments here are generally talking about adults personally going on domestic flights.

Yes, the desk jockey was adamant that my son's Thai ID card would not suffice. I remember pretty clearly as my missus threw a wobbler with her, before we had to go back home and get his passport. :biggrin: Luckily, our house is only 20 minutes away, otherwise we'd have missed the flight..

Thinking back, I think this was still when U-Tapao was still under military control and not classified as an "International" airport, so this probably had a bearing.

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You are wrong. This clearly states it's an ID card for Non-Thais. Of course you need to qualify for one. Those of us with these ID Cards know this to be the case.

image.png.93e458cc29f216b8f0754e9536e10b2d.png

Good grief! A reprise of the great AN Thai pink ID card translation debate of 1997, 2003, 2010, 2015, 2019, 2020, (no debate due to Covid in 2020), 2021, 2022, 2023...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have never had to show my passport for a domestic flight.  My Thai drivers license has always been sufficient.

Your drivers licence won't show you're on overstay...  I don't understand why it will  still be allowed???

Surely no passport no flight?

6 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

This is more of a worry for those of us that have middle names. I can't remember ever using middle names on a flight ticket booking. Yet, of course my passport and Thai DL/ID have my middle names. If ticket is only first & last name, will they start denying boarding as with middle names missing it will considered a "mismatch"?

It is considered a  mismatch by the airlines.

I have just paid this morning 2852 baht to deal with exactly that issue.

• Sad 2