Health Insurance is now required ?

The Thai Embassy in Canberra Australia advises that Health Insurance is now required for non imm ‘O’ retirement 90 Visas. This is also on the website information for a company called Thaivisa in Bangkok. The Health insurance is required. 400,000 baht inpatient and 40,000 outpatient. Does anybody know if these changes are correct.? 

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Youngagain said:

The Thai Embassy in Canberra Australia advises that Health Insurance is now required for non imm ‘O’ retirement 90 Visas. This is also on the website information for a company called Thaivisa in Bangkok. The Health insurance is required. 400,000 baht inpatient and 40,000 outpatient. Does anybody know if these changes are correct.? 

Always pay and pay. Unfortunately Thailand is only about money. Farang=ATM

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Youngagain said:

The Thai Embassy in Canberra Australia advises that Health Insurance is now required for non imm ‘O’ retirement 90 Visas

OP, assume you are planning on obtaining a 12 month extension to your non O retirement.

You are aware that you can apply for this visa in Thailand and the option that @Pattaya57 outlined above is very sensible option.

Can even be done from a visa exempt entry. 

Many threads on that.

Do you have a Thai bank account in your name only. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

Don't you think that having a health insurance is a sensible requirement? 

As long as the policy is implemented sensibly and doesn't force people into having redundant covers, as it is the case with OA and OX.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

So you think a 90 day forced insurance for a non-imm O is a good thing? (that's what this thread is about)

The requirement for insurance on a Non O visa was lifted on 1st July 2022. The fact that offices in Australia do not want to follow the revised requirements does not make it "forced insurance" per se.

I have had 2 Non O e-visas since 1st July 2022, the second just a couple of months ago and no insurance required for either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Youngagain said:

Why you are against a Health Insurance? Are you Super Man and invincible?😵‍💫

• Confused 3
  • Sad 5

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The requirement for insurance on a Non O visa was lifted on 1st July 2022. The fact that offices in Australia do not want to follow the revised requirements does not make it "forced insurance" per se.

I have had 2 Non O e-visas since 1st July 2022, the second just a couple of months ago and no insurance required for either.

And your experience is irrelevant to the OP as he is applying in Australia where they do insist insurance is required for the non O

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Why you are against a Health Insurance? Are you Super Man and invincible?😵‍💫

Unfortunately when it comes to meeting specifics of Health Insurance for Thailand, they have criteria in place that means some excellent health insurance from non-Thai branch of health insurance companies can be rejected.  So one can have health insurance SUPERIOR to Thai requirements which won't be accepted. 

Hence a POINT is that there are cases of those with EXCELLENT health insurance, whose  health insurance was not accepted.

And further as Dr.Jack54 noted, one can enter Thailand visa-exempt, and immediately apply for a 90-day Type-O visa, if one already has a Thai bank account.  If one doesn't have a Thai bank account, one can still try but it has a risk as one must somehow immediately obtain a bank account after arrival (and this is very difficult when Visa exempt).  Given opening a bank account as a foreigner to Thailand is bank policy (and not a legal restriction)  as to whom the Bank interpretation allows for bank accounts, this is an area where I believe obtaining help from an Agent (to open a bank account when on a Visa exempt permission to stay) could be very useful.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Unfortunately when it comes to meeting specifics of Health Insurance for Thailand, they have criteria in place that means some excellent health insurance from non-Thai branch of health insurance companies can be rejected.  So one can have health insurance SUPERIOR to Thai requirements which won't be accepted. 

Hence a POINT is that there are cases of those with EXCELLENT health insurance, whose  health insurance was not accepted.

And further as Dr.Jack54 noted, one can enter Thailand visa-exempt, and immediately apply for a 90-day Type-O visa, if one already has a Thai bank account.  If one doesn't have a Thai bank account, one can still try but it has a risk as one must somehow immediately obtain a bank account after arrival (and this is very difficult when Visa exempt).  Given opening a bank account as a foreigner to Thailand is bank policy (and not a legal restriction)  as to whom the Bank interpretation allows for bank accounts, this is an area where I believe obtaining help from an Agent (to open a bank account when on a Visa exempt permission to stay) could be very useful.

I understand. But honestly, if I would like to travel to another country and don't like/refuse the requirements....then I have 2 options. Follow the rules or stay home.🙏 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

If one doesn't have a Thai bank account, one can still try but it has a risk as one must somehow immediately obtain a bank account after arrival (and this is very difficult when Visa exempt).  Given opening a bank account as a foreigner to Thailand is bank policy (and not a legal restriction)  as to whom the Bank interpretation allows for bank accounts, this is an area where I believe obtaining help from an Agent (to open a bank account when on a Visa exempt permission to stay) could be very useful.

Yeah flick a wedge to an agent then toddle off to a bar for a frothie.

Bank account will take the agent an hour or two to open.

No brainer.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

And your experience is irrelevant to the OP as he is applying in Australia where they do insist insurance is required for the non O

Of course it is relevant, the thread title is nothing short of scaremongering,

The OP also implied it is a recent change whereas the issue in Australia has been ongoing since covid.

Australian problems are not everyone's problems and should be in their own forum.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/24/2024 at 10:00 AM, Ben Zioner said:

Don't you think that having a health insurance is a sensible requirement? 

As long as the policy is implemented sensibly and doesn't force people into having redundant covers, as it is the case with OA and OX.

Regarding the insurance, Yes if you can get it.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's not when the person is not insurable without bankrupting themselves.

Try getting health insurance for someone over 75, with pre-existing conditions, and you will see what I mean.

As a 76 year old with a list as long as your arm i understand.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/23/2024 at 3:57 PM, Jack1988 said:

Sure, why not? People who cannot survive in their own lands and have to travel 10,000 miles for a better life, possibly a woman or a family, to live like refugees in foreign land need to pay up. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

I understand. But honestly, if I would like to travel to another country and don't like/refuse the requirements....then I have 2 options. Follow the rules or stay home.🙏 

Well ... I think more logic applies.  Many of us want to follow local requirements, and our foreign health insurance does just that in terms of coverage. 

For example, in my case, my European Health Insurance greatly EXCEEDS the Thai requirements.  But Thailand won't accept such (for a type-OA visa) but rather require one to purchase Health Insurance from the Thai branch of an Insurance company.  Further, my European Health Insurance, as part of my pension, is significantly subsidized by my former employer ..  and the subsidized cost of my European Health Insurance does NOT increase every year, despite my advancing years.   Health insurance from a Thai branch of a Health Insurance company would likely increase every year (due to my age).

To go for less coverage, from the Thai branch of a Health Insurance company, and to pay more for such Thai branch insurance, simply makes no sense.  Hence I followed the process (leave Thailand & reenter) to change my visa from a Type-OA to a Type-O.  Why discard superior (and less expensive) health insurance and be forced to buy less coverage (and more expensive) health insurance from a Thai Health Insurance branch? 

The original intent of the Thai health insurance requirement was to ensure foreigners were not a burden on the Thai Health care system, but in part it evolved into a profit motive to funnel funds to Thai Health insurance companies.  

I say 'in part' because I also believe Thai immigration find it easier to check compliance with Thai branch of health insurance companies, than to check compliance with foreign branches of Health Insurance companies.  So from a compliance checking point of view, it is easier for Thai immigration if one is restricted to (more expensive/less coverage) with insurance from a Thai health insurance branch.

In the OP's case, if I read correctly, they are considering a Type-O visa, which will not force them (where a type-OA visa may force them) to obtain insurance from a Thai health insurance company, but instead they can use their own possibly superior and cheaper health insurance.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Well ... I think more logic applies.  Many of us want to follow local requirements, and our foreign health insurance does just that in terms of coverage. 

For example, in my case, my European Health Insurance greatly EXCEEDS the Thai requirements.  But Thailand won't accept such (for a type-OA visa) but rather require one to purchase Health Insurance from the Thai branch of an Insurance company.  Further, my European Health Insurance, as part of my pension, is significantly subsidized by my former employer ..  and the subsidized cost of my European Health Insurance does NOT increase every year, despite my advancing years.   Health insurance from a Thai branch of a Health Insurance company would likely increase every year (due to my age).

To go for less coverage, from the Thai branch of a Health Insurance company, and to pay more for such Thai branch insurance, simply makes no sense.  Hence I followed the process (leave Thailand & reenter) to change my visa from a Type-OA to a Type-O.  Why discard superior (and less expensive) health insurance and be forced to buy less coverage (and more expensive) health insurance from a Thai Health Insurance branch? 

The original intent of the Thai health insurance requirement was to ensure foreigners were not a burden on the Thai Health care system, but in part it evolved into a profit motive to funnel funds to Thai Health insurance companies.  

I say 'in part' because I also believe Thai immigration find it easier to check compliance with Thai branch of health insurance companies, than to check compliance with foreign branches of Health Insurance companies.  So from a compliance checking point of view, it is easier for Thai immigration if one is restricted to (more expensive/less coverage) with insurance from a Thai health insurance branch.

In the OP's case, if I read correctly, they are considering a Type-O visa, which will not force them (where a type-OA visa may force them) to obtain insurance from a Thai health insurance company, but instead they can use their own possibly superior and cheaper health insurance.

Sorry, but some things you stressed out are not ok. 

The health insurance will NOT increase every year but only in case of an issue/hospital. 

Also it makes definitely no sense to clinge on a useless health insurance/ref. your European or any other. 

And also it makes no sense to do all those border runs if you intend to stay. 

In addition a Thai Health Assurance acknowledged by Immigration is not expensive, even you choose a coverage of more than 5 Mill. Baht.

And you forgot, that all insurers run a business. Not charity. Not welfare.

But there are always people who like it complicated.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Unfortunately it is forced for non-imm O in Australia. They link to the same approved insurance companies as O-A and O-X and state the following:

"A certificate of health insurance issued by Thai insurance companies covering the entire period of stay in Thailand "

I emailed the Sydney Consulate twice in August last year explaining the nominated companies don't offer 90 day policies but no response. I emailed again yesterday asking how do I do the insurance but don't expect an answer

2 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Sorry, but some things you stressed out are not ok. 

The health insurance will NOT increase every year but only in case of an issue/hospital. 

Also it makes definitely no sense to clinge on a useless health insurance/ref. your European or any other. 

And also it makes no sense to do all those border runs if you intend to stay. 

In addition a Thai Health Assurance acknowledged by Immigration is not expensive, even you choose a coverage of more than 5 Mill. Baht.

And you forgot, that all insurers run a business. Not charity. Not welfare.

But there are always people who like it complicated.

Thai health insurance is operated under very different rules to those you are used to in the West, they are managed under Thai rules, not Internationally accepted rules. Thai policies can be cancelled without cause and premiums can be increased based on the extent to which the individual claimed against the policy, by up to 25% per year. In addition, it is not uncommon for new exclusions to be added to individual policies, once the insured has made a claim that involved a certain aspect of health. These differences have been well documented over the years on this forum, moderator Sheryl is more familiar with all the details and differences.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Thai health insurance is operated under very different rules to those you are used to in the West, they are managed under Thai rules, not Internationally accepted rules. Thai policies can be cancelled without cause and premiums can be increased based on the extent to which the individual claimed against the policy, by up to 25% per year. In addition, it is not uncommon for new exclusions to be added to individual policies, once the insured has made a claim that involved a certain aspect of health. These differences have been well documented over the years on this forum, moderator Sheryl is more familiar with all the details and differences.

I see the health insurance issue being a major blocker for future options / time in Thailand.

That the mandatory health insurance that is unlikely to provide actual cover is more than disappointing. Noting the Waiting period for a 90 day policy mentioned above is perhaps 120days and a 12 month policy perhaps is perhaps 180day / 6 months . I tried to get a Thai policy back in 2018 as a supplement to a quality 92 Day per trip, unlimited trips Travel insurance. The broker of a major provider said he could not Honestly sell me the policy under consideration that I would maybe slightly below or above the 180 day of 12 months, required to be in Thailand to have actual cover (that's when I was using a non-O ME).  New to Thailand O-A Visa holders may think they are covered by the insurance and get a nasty shock if attempting to claim .

Thailand seems to continually become incrementally less attractive via detail changes since the end of 2017. But if the customers keep wanting the product....

I had a quick skim over Qatar mandatory flat insurance, that gives a basic cover, that can be supplemented by private insurance provision, a nicer concept I think/ 

Sounds like another visa option to score of the list, if this covid-era requirement  gets reintroduced at other locations, as I would be only using it for the 90 days not extending, (due to unavailability of  non-O ME again)

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

Sorry, many things you stated are wrong. However, everybody got different requirements. So no need to continue this discussion.🙏

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, newbee2022 said:

Sorry, many things you stated are wrong. However, everybody got different requirements. So no need to continue this discussion.🙏

I think it's important for the entire membership that everyone understand the facts of this matter, which is why I'm going to ask @Sheryl , time permitting, to pass comment.

• Like 1