Brit claims being abducted, Pattaya raid uncovers drugs, guns

webfact

I guess it didn't occur to them that the proper way to do it (these days) is to set up a GoFundMe first, then have a "friend" contact the Mirror (or Sun, you know which ones) to "sell" their story - and get their GoFundMe link published.

Then sit back and watch the money pour in. And because your family isn't (directly) involved, no Police, no Interpol alerts and no visits from the local authorities.

Then, after your goal has been reached, announce that the "victim" has escaped and that the "authorities" have arrested the kidnappers - but don't give any actual details like locations, dates and names. Those kind of things can be checked after all. The key is to keep everything generic enough that no one can track down where you actually were, when you actually were there and who was actually involved.

That's why so many of those scams are set up by "a friend" and not an identifiable family member. And the incident happened "in Pattaya" during a trip "last fall" when you stayed at "a hotel" "near the beach" and went "to a bar".

(It's funny too, probably 95% of the GoFundMe scams that center around people in Thailand all seem to happen in Phuket. And the stories almost always first appear in a UK gossip rag (like the Mirror or Sun) - after a GoFundMe has already been set up.)

Why can't these scams happen more often in Pattaya so I can check them out easier ?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, bbko said:

Another negative Pattaya story with Brits involved? Here's a question for you armchair experts, what's the breakdown by nationality (Brits, Aussie, German, Russian, etc) in Pattaya?

2024 for sure year of the Brits so far. 
pretty well behaved in 2023. Russians were 2023. 

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, stoner said:

might of been easier to just ask your family for money instead of extorting them. 

Maybe the family have given enough in the past and said "no more - get a job"!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The investigation disclosed that the group, grappling with financial difficulties during their prolonged stay in Thailand,

So, how did they manage to get an extension of stay?
Or were they staying in the country on a very low budget which dried-up quickly?
Happy 3-year extension in jail.

5 hours ago, DaveOhAust said:

10 pound Pom’s, what a bunch of complete fools. They will get some nice fish head soup now for a while and I can’t see mum & dad helping out too much. Probably part of the breakfast club

Shame we can't send them to an island full of similar criminal types and flies. 🤔

• Love It 1

My first trip to Thailand before speaking the language and started to work & settle in Thailand, I was offered to smuggle gold gold from Nepal to Thailand. But I was not stupid enough!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Matrosen said:

My first trip to Thailand before speaking the language and started to work & settle in Thailand, I was offered to smuggle gold gold from Nepal to Thailand. But I was not stupid enough!

Why? Can one buy gold cheaper in Nepal? I know gold smuggling from Dubai to India is a big one because gold is cheaper in Dubai than in India.  

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

1 hour ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Why? Can one buy gold cheaper in Nepal? I know gold smuggling from Dubai to India is a big one because gold is cheaper in Dubai than in India.  

Is it the tax that's involved?

Congratulations to Royal Thai Police Department for solving this case. The British should be banned from entering the Kingdom of Thailand for life by Thai authorities.
1. They were in possession of drugs.
2. They were in possession of weapons in a foreign country.
Thailand is not Europe and America's paradigm of lawlessness, and Thai citizens are not second-class citizens.

Congratulations to Royal Thai Police Department!

No no.gif

14 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

So the financial and economic situation is much worse in UK than in Germany?? (See the story from the morning)

We're really on a downturn or declining culture and civilization, aren't we?🥴🙏

Absolutely, and Governments bicker amongst themselves over trivia.......

• Agree 1