Thai food vendor sparks debate after giving free food to foreign backpacker

1 hour ago, Modern Coding said:

Until now, from what I have seen, people have not pointed at the vendor's kindness, have they??

Comments were rather targeted towards the girl.

Totally correct.. People should watch the movie The Way with Charlie Sheen

9 minutes ago, off road pat said:

There is a French proverb that says « le ridicule ne tue pas » "The ridicule doesn't kill" which means, don't let the fear of ridicule stop you from doing what you want, or what you think is good !!

Sticks and stones may break my bones,

but names will never hurt you...

Is the British version, don't think that it made it to the "proverbs" list... 

Just now, off road pat said:

Hm,...I know a lot of Thais that travel the world !!! some are wealthy others are not, but they get invited by people they helped on there travels....Generosity is good !! 

Sure!

But this kind of people don't get angry on social media for the generous gesture of this vendor.

• Agree 1

I sometimes wonder what’s made these grumpy old men so nasty, or have they always been like this?

When I was a teenage backpacker I met some incredibly nice and kind people all over the world. They were kind, interesting and interested and went out of their way for us. Probably the best thing I learned was to be like that myself.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, proton said:

It's like feeding soi dogs, it only encourages more of them. In fact it's worse than feeding soi dogs,and they are vermin. Western penniless low life's should not be scratching around street food vendors for scraps, disgraceful, this woman has no self respect or for Thais.

What makes you think smelly penniless backpackers have seen more than me? the thought of them having sex is rather unpleasant! Do you think they get free condoms as well?

For a brief moment I thought you were serious. Of course I realised that nobody is that twisted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

So in your view, every single one of the hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions) of backpackers that come to Thailand every year are just 'smelly' and/or 'penniless'? I backpacked though Thailand in the late 90's and met literally thousands of fellow backpackers and I can usure you your 'insights' couldn't be further from the truth. Granted a few I met were on tight budgets but I never met a single person who was penniless and none of them were smelly. Even this young lady looked well groomed and how do you know she was penniless? As the article says, she thought the food was just leftovers so asked if she could have it, possibly thinking it was just going to go to waste.

You views are myopic, uncharitable and by comparing people to soi dogs, wildly inappropriate.

Perhaps you should take a few months out, exploring this fantastic country with just a back-pack and a sense of adventure. You'll see you are very wrong and it may even have the added benefit of mellowing you out a bit.     

The ones begging for scraps from honest Thais are obviously penniless or just lying. The post is about these types of visitors not the annoying ones you see on tik tok with enough money for toasted sandwiches from 7/11 and revolting Pad Thai they never stop going on about, or acting like lunatics at that ghastly full moon party. As a whole back packers are pests when on transport and in shops, they never seem to realise those stupidly large rucksacks actually inconvenience other people, why cant they use suitcases like the rest of us? 

Edited by proton
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, proton said:

The ones begging for scraps from honest Thais are obviously penniless or just lying. The post is about these types of visitors not the annoying ones you see on tik tok with enough money for toasted sandwiches from 7/11 and revolting Pad Thai they never stop going on about, or acting like lunatics at that ghastly full moon party. As a whole back packers are pests when on transport and in shops, they never seem to realise those stupidly large rucksacks actually inconvenience other people, why cant they use suitcases like the rest of us? 

You're just a bundle of joy now aren't you? I take it you were never young and just went straight from birth to being a miseble old s0d? Time to up the meds me thinks before your head explodes with all the 'inconvenience'.

Oh, and by the way, ever tried lugging a suitcase up a mountain or through a jungle? A lot easier with a rucksack.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A question ......

how will she pay her rent ?

doesn't she have other backpacker friends that can help her financially ?

how will she pay for her meals tomorrow and the next day ?

it just doesn't add up ....

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, johnnybangkok said:

You're just a bundle of joy now aren't you? I take it you were never young and just went straight from birth to being a miseble old s0d? Time to up the meds me thinks before your head explodes with all the 'inconvenience'.

Oh, and by the way, ever tried lugging a suitcase up a mountain or through a jungle? A lot easier with a rucksack.

Thread is not about me, it's about some foreign female beggar, enough of them here already without importing more.

• Sad 1