Court rules Move Forward attempted to topple constitutional monarchy

snoop1130

14 hours ago, keith101 said:

What's next on the agenda a pardon for Thaksin and bring him back as leader of the party to take over as PM

Coming this month to a place near you!

I find as a matter of general knowledge:

"A constitutional monarchy is a system of government in which the nation recognizes a monarch but also limits his/her power with a national constitution. In most constitutional monarchies, most power is held by a legislature, like the British Parliament or Japanese Diet. Executive power is also divided."

https://study.com/academy/lesson/constitutional-monarchy-definition-examples.html

Aside from Thailand there are about (27) constitutional monarchies of which (15) share the same person as their monarch ("Commonwealth Realms").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Oh good, I thought I was losing my touch 😉 

Ok, back to getting my decrepit 54 year old body to finish over 300 push-ups before bedtime .....Every bone and joint in my body aches, I hate getting old! 

Old? Us 90 year old peasants get out at 0530 to do our morning walk and constitutional. Not sure about the pushups. But I do hop out of bed and run to the toilet a couple of times a night. And I skip breakfast sometimes.😉

• Like 2

Recognizing that this in the hands of Thai citizens, not me as a guest, I am saddened to see such a ruling. Calling for amending the law was not anywhere near calling for an end of the Monarchy. Amending the law would actually enhance the status of the Kingdom of Thailand by being more consistent with the legal outlook of at least the overwhelming number of democracies. Yes, I both recognize the political background and attitude involved but ... not being in any way protected by "academic freedom" due to being retired and not under my own countries regulations ... I do not comment further.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, jippytum said:

Thasksin and his alliance with the millitary. The same ones that  forced him to self imposed exile are suceeding in removing the threat of MFP  and Thai peoples choice of government. 

The court verdicts and Thaskins special treatment to avade confinement in jail  demonstrate the power and influence the most politically devlsive family in Thailand have over the wlll of the people who voted for Pita and the MFP. 

Political expediency by courts in their verdict happened in all countries.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Old? Us 90 year old peasants get out at 0530 to do our morning walk and constitutional. Not sure about the pushups. But I do hop out of bed and run to the toilet a couple of times a night. And I skip breakfast sometimes.😉

You're probably in better shape than I am 😉 , I got two major car accidents and two major off-road motorcycle accidents under my belt, this body is broken and falling apart.

Far from protecting the monachy - this will weaken it further and is only kept to control opponents.why cant they make a distinction between the LJ law and the monachy itself?everything is regulated these days ..why not the monachy?what i find unconstitional is the disbanding of a party that won the popular vote.what we learnt last week was that much money is siphoned off using corruption in Royal Projects to dupe people.Although the 2 stories arent linked - it does go to show that by critiquing an idea or testing it...does actually help to improve it.Without removing this law - no improvements.MFP was , as the voters showed - merely trying to make improvements as requested by the electorate.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

You're probably in better shape than I am 😉 , I got two major car accidents and two major off-road motorcycle accidents under my belt, this body is broken and falling apart.

Maybe you need driving instruction or an oil change. Hang in there.😉

18 hours ago, keith101 said:

What's next on the agenda a pardon for Thaksin and bring him back as leader of the party to take over as PM

Maybe something el

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

That's the way it is. That's the way it'll stay. Forever. MFP did not have the talent maneuver politically. They put themselves in a trap. Election Commission will follow up and ban the party and Pita. 

Yes talent is the issue       

2 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Recognizing that this in the hands of Thai citizens, not me as a guest, I am saddened to see such a ruling. Calling for amending the law was not anywhere near calling for an end of the Monarchy. Amending the law would actually enhance the status of the Kingdom of Thailand by being more consistent with the legal outlook of at least the overwhelming number of democracies. Yes, I both recognize the political background and attitude involved but ... not being in any way protected by "academic freedom" due to being retired and not under my own countries regulations ... I do not comment further.

Absolutely agree    ,stopped my comments below in mid sentence .

18 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

What a disgusting post to describe Thais as "peasants"!

What you should IMO have posted was "Democracy in Thailand is nothing more than a myth, the sooner the majority of peasants Thais in general realize this the better. 

I read it as a reference to peasants and pitchforks   https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-09/-peasants-with-pitchforks-seen-if-profits-get-any-fatter

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Imagine good people got into power and opened the books and revealed what is inside done by the people with the guns. Imagine is all that you can do brain doesn't beat bullets particularly in one of the most effectively brainwashed citizenry I can imagine. Plus it would put prices up for us so there is that.

38 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

For gods sake he's almost been charged  with lese majeste technically its not far off treason , so its easily on a par with "several counts of dishonesty "Its irrelevant what he is charged with, what I am saying is he and his party are facing multiple and persistent.  onslaughts and attacks by his opposition who seek to remove him from the "game" at any cost.  rather than face him in an election where they know he will beat them

In the exact same way that the democrats have  waged an all out volley of  prolonged attack on trump, again  seeking to destroy him by any means rather than face him in an election  The possible results of which seem to terrify them

Can't you  see the similarities?

Again,  to avoid the inevitable, I am not a Trump supporter but neither am I a hater

No I can't and I'm surprised that you can. Pita is disliked by the hierarchy for his proposal to reform the Lese majeste law. By those of the unelected establishment put in place by the miliary junta in a coup. They are the ones attacking him and his party. With Trump, it would seem that he is being attacked for his wrong, and alleged wrong doings. How can you a install a corrupt person to the presidency? What terrifies me is that there are many Americans who are prepared to welcome, just for his charisma I suspect, an alleged  dishonest man into the Presidency. Both Thailand and the USA are not my countries. I'm just casting an opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I don’t get why MF went there in the first place as this scenario was always likely to happen. It just chucks the ball in the army’s court (excuse pun). The only way the dinosaur army/elitist political nonsense in this country will change is if Thais en masse get on the streets and boot out this illegal government!

I would also add every member of the military involved in every coup face justice and every penny they and their immediate families have confiscated. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty predictable and I am not in the least bit surprised. 

When Pita was earlier acquitted it was a sure sign that MF was about to killed off.  Sort of good cop bad cop routine that they have used so many times in the past to try and fool people that the judiciary are impartial and just upholding the law before a coup de gras is delivered.

However , it might be that they defer banning MF until nearer the next election  so that there is no time for it to rise phoenix like from the ashes.

All that remains to be seen is whether there will be a third reincarnation of MF.

Somehow I doubt it. Those that hold the real power will know that if they cannot nip in the bud a third attempt by FF / MF to get elected then it will be a landslide victory to put Thaksins in the shade.

This they cannot allow to happen and will use any underhand methods they can to prevent it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely disgraceful.  Sets a horrible precedent.  How are laws relating to the government ever going to be allowed to be amended if the lawmakers are prohibited from even bringing up some subjects for debate?   In my opinion, the worst part of Section 112 is the part that allows anyone to acuse anyone else of violating 112.   So ripe to be abused, with a prime example this very court case.  Don't like someone, accuse them of violating Section 112.   It should only be the Royal Bureau, or whatever it is called, to decide to invoke Section 112 and bring charges.  How is asking for that completely sensible change attempting to topple the monarchy?   Just ludicrous.  Thai spouse is probably even more digusted than I am.  

13 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

By using the demeaning term “peasants” you automatically put yourself in the Elite category. 

peasants is not a demeaning term unless you want it to be , you have successfully put yourself in to  the "permanently offended"   or "woke" category.   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Absolutely disgraceful.  Sets a horrible precedent.  How are laws relating to the government ever going to be allowed to be amended if the lawmakers are prohibited from even bringing up some subjects for debate?   In my opinion, the worst part of Section 112 is the part that allows anyone to acuse anyone else of violating 112.   So ripe to be abused, with a prime example this very court case.  Don't like someone, accuse them of violating Section 112.   It should only be the Royal Bureau, or whatever it is called, to decide to invoke Section 112 and bring charges.  How is asking for that completely sensible change attempting to topple the monarchy?   Just ludicrous.  Thai spouse is probably even more digusted than I am.  

Can't say I am particularly bothered, the Mrs . in laws , and the rest of the family seem pretty ambivalent about it all too,   I  Can't understand why a few on here  get so upset about these things,