U.S. begins retaliatory strikes against Iran-linked targets in Iraq and Syria.

Social Media

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Was it though? I would imagine they used some existing facility and installed the equipment. I don't know but I would think Iran would put a very high priority on it. I just think it's not a foregone conclusion that the factory was under construction during the agreement period. In fact, I recall the IAEA (?) reporting that Iran was in compliance through the agreement. I want a link.

The time to make such a factory is not for the building, it's the time to design, make, manufacture highly specialized tooling and equipment, including special control software, all of which is required to make the high prescription parts for advanced centrifuges. It is not trivial.

Anyway, it's a mute point. At least Iran claims it was not covered in the agreement. Whether they cheated or it was not covered is immaterial. Six of one, half dozen of the other. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

So you don't have a link supporting your claims, yet you are demanding links to support someone else's, that seems about right...errrr...I mean left. 

It was all over the news, just not the news you pay attention to. 

I didn't make a claim. I cast doubt on a claim. Can you spot the difference? If it was all over the news then you should have no trouble coughing up a credible link. I won't hold my breath.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, rabas said:

The time to make such a factory is not for the building, it's the time to design, make, manufacture highly specialized tooling and equipment, including special control software, all of which is required to make the high prescription parts for advanced centrifuges. It is not trivial.

Anyway, it's a mute point. At least Iran claims it was not covered in the agreement. Whether they cheated or it was not covered is immaterial. Six of one, half dozen of the other. 

Fair enough, it's certainly moot now. I wonder if Israel will decide to do another bombing run soon?

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, candide said:

According to the Reuters article  it has been build during negotiations, not during agreements.

Quote:

"Instead of building this factory in the next seven or eight years, we built it during the negotiations but have not started it," Salehi, said, according to state media."

What negotiations? You mean before the agreement? They lied and no one new? As for the agreement, same outcome.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, candide said:

Keeping to the thread's subject: my point is that there will be likely no major war between Iran and the U.S. as claimed by another poster. Neither country wants it. That,'s why Iran used only proxies and the U.S. hit targets only outside Iran

Thanks for that clarification and I agree with you on that specific point!

Edited by scottiejohn

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I didn't make a claim. I cast doubt on a claim. Can you spot the difference? If it was all over the news then you should have no trouble coughing up a credible link. I won't hold my breath.

You claimed:  "In fact, I recall the IAEA (?) reporting that Iran was in compliance through the agreement." 

So, you don't have a link supporting your claim, then when asked to support your claim, you (falsely) state you have made no claims and demand links from the person that has asked you to support your claim. 

Typical. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, rabas said:

What negotiations? You mean before the agreement? They lied and no one new? As for the agreement, same outcome.

As far as I understand, one is not bound to anything until the agreement is signed

Edited

From their point of view, history has shown they were right to maintain alternative option in case the deal would be nullified.

Edited by candide
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Fair enough, it's certainly moot now. I wonder if Israel will decide to do another bombing run soon?

OK, agree to agree.

Not sure about bombing  but there have been a couple of recent mysterious explosions in their centrifuge plants.  Search this source for "damage".

2020 July 2 - A mysterious explosion extensively damaged Iran’s main nuclear enrichment site at Natanz. The blast damaged a factory producing advanced IR-4 and IR-6 centrifuges that enrich uranium faster than the IR-1 models allowed under the 2015 nuclear deal. 

[note: this is a factory making IR-6 centrifuges, whoever it is is targeting centrifuge manufacture.]

2021 April 11 - An explosion at Natanz hit the power supply for centrifuges and caused damage that could take up to nine months to fully repair, The New York Times reported. It was the second major attack to sabotage operations at Natanz in less than a year.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

OK, agree to agree.

Not sure about bombing  but there have been a couple of recent mysterious explosions in their centrifuge plants.  Search this source for "damage".

2020 July 2 - A mysterious explosion extensively damaged Iran’s main nuclear enrichment site at Natanz. The blast damaged a factory producing advanced IR-4 and IR-6 centrifuges that enrich uranium faster than the IR-1 models allowed under the 2015 nuclear deal. 

[note: this is a factory making IR-6 centrifuges, whoever it is is targeting centrifuge manufacture.]

2021 April 11 - An explosion at Natanz hit the power supply for centrifuges and caused damage that could take up to nine months to fully repair, The New York Times reported. It was the second major attack to sabotage operations at Natanz in less than a year.

Which is why I was skeptical when I saw the claim about them building a centrifuge factory during the period of IAEA inspections. I knew they were the central issue. I don't doubt they were designing and planning at the very least to produce the equipment. I alluded to that when I said the US is constantly testing nuclear weapons on computers.

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You claimed:  "In fact, I recall the IAEA (?) reporting that Iran was in compliance through the agreement." 

So, you don't have a link supporting your claim, then when asked to support your claim, you (falsely) state you have made no claims and demand links from the person that has asked you to support your claim. 

Typical. 

Contradicting Trump, U.N. Monitor Says Iran Complies With Nuclear Deal

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/world/middleeast/un-nuclear-iran-trump.html

https://archive.is/wNdjg

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, candide said:

As far as I understand, one is not bound to anything until the agreement is signed

Edited

From their point of view, history has shown they were right to maintain alternative option in case the deal would be nullified.

If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong, but can be bothered to look it up as it not what the topic is about) there were conditions involved in starting the negotiations - basically because sides did not trust each other to use the time to their advantage. I think Iran had to put some projects on hold, and the other countries had to refrain from adding extra sanctions, or even lifting some.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

@ozimoron

Topic is about USA strikes vs. Iranian-backed militias, you go on about Israel.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Was it though? I would imagine they used some existing facility and installed the equipment. I don't know but I would think Iran would put a very high priority on it. I just think it's not a foregone conclusion that the factory was under construction during the agreement period. In fact, I recall the IAEA (?) reporting that Iran was in compliance through the agreement. I want a link.

@ozimoron

'I Imagine'

'I don't know but I would think'

'I just think'

'I want a link'

You want a link on the basis of what....?

5 minutes ago, candide said:

Contradicting Trump, U.N. Monitor Says Iran Complies With Nuclear Deal

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/world/middleeast/un-nuclear-iran-trump.html

https://archive.is/wNdjg

Oh, a NYT headline, that proves it.

In any event, my position (and I think most people that opposed the deal) is that the inspections required advance notice and inspectors were only allowed into approved areas, making them largely irrelevant. 

4 minutes ago, Galong said:

The US military is perfectly capable of bungling things on its own. They have a long history of it.  BTW, what has the president bungled? Facts only, please... and things that are entirely under his control. 

Heard him speak lately? 

Just now, Galong said:

I'm not a Biden fan at all. However, this does NOT address the issue of how well he's doing his job and what he has personally screwed up.  Also, I've heard the other side talk too. It's embarrassing, to put it mildly. I want new candidates. 

Reversing the stay in Mexico policy

Eased sanctions on Iran

Removing the Houthis from the Foreign Terrorist Organization and Specially Designated Global Terrorist lists.

That's three off the top of my head. 

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Oh, a NYT headline, that proves it.

In any event, my position (and I think most people that opposed the deal) is that the inspections required advance notice and inspectors were only allowed into approved areas, making them largely irrelevant. 

The NYT was reporting what inspectors stated. Of course, you prefer to believe Trump rather than inspectors.

I guess you also used to believe what Bush/Cheney claimed about WDM, rather than inspectors.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, candide said:

The NYT was reporting what inspectors stated. Of course, you prefer to believe Trump rather than inspectors.

7 minutes ago, candide said:

I guess you also used to believe what Bush/Cheney claimed about WDM, rather than inspectors.

You mean what all the US intelligence organizations agencies and most of the other intelligence organizations in the world claimed about WMD? The WMDs that were what, only one of the 27 (I think ) reasons listed in the Iran Resolution? Too funny. 

7 minutes ago, Morch said:

You're not sorry, and you're most definitely a troll.

My opinion is that you lame trolling attempt is lame.

In fact, for anyone to entertain the illusion that, if the US allows Israel to remain in its present location, there will be any chance for peace in the region...is just completely ludicrous.

I have been watching this situation during the past 60-plus years.

Nothing has changed.

And, nothing will change until the State of Israel is moved.

The only question is:  Where do we move it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

You mean what all the US intelligence organizations agencies and most of the other intelligence organizations in the world claimed about WMD? The WMDs that were what, only one of the 27 (I think ) reasons listed in the Iran Resolution? Too funny. 

Where is your link proving that most intelligence organisations claimed there were WMD in Iraq?

9 minutes ago, candide said:

Where is your link proving that most intelligence organisations claimed there were WMD in Iraq?

I know the Australian intel must have because John Howard, one of the most right wing nut cases we ever had running the country fed us the same BS as Cheney and Bush.

10 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Has any US bombing anywhere since WW2 done anything more than make things worse ? Serious question. It's increasingly looking in the new era a lot of US hyper power military posturing looks like some great big nothing burger.Besides which the Houthis are battle hardened Arab tribesmen prone to dispersal and hidden in the region and well able to resist the hammer looking for very small nuts. The British Empire finally ended in imperial humiliation in  Suez there's a great likelihood  the US will suffer the same. Joe probably thinks we've hit Hanoi and his generals have to keep correcting him, Houthis Mr President them Houthis. 

Has any US bombing anywhere since WW2 done anything more than make things worse ?

If bombing alone worked North Vietnam would have been defeated during Vietnam war, and Cambodia/ Laos would not have been taken over by the communists.

7 hours ago, Galong said:

The US military is perfectly capable of bungling things on its own. They have a long history of it.  BTW, what has the president bungled? Facts only, please... and things that are entirely under his control. 

Since you asked, supporting netanyahu unconditionally at the start, which is now problematic since he is trying to impose conditions re Gaza, which netanyahu is either saying he will not comply with or is ignoring.

There is also that little problem on the US southern border which is on him, since he is the one that cancelled the wall, on his first day if I remember correctly.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Topic Update: US says strikes on Iran-linked targets just 'the beginning'

image.png

US President Joe Biden has today released a statement giving some details about the strikes in Iraq and Syria. It's the paperwork he needs to do, under law, to notify Congress within 48 hours of launching military action.

In the letter, he says that the strikes targeted facilities used by Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps and affiliated militia groups used for "command and control, weapons storage, training, logistics support, and other purposes".

The IRGC is believed to have armed, funded and trained the militant organisation behind last weekend's drone attack that killed three US soldiers..

Biden added that the strikes aimed to deter these groups from further attacks, and were taken in a way "to limit the risk of escalation and avoid civilian casualties".

Biden also said that he would "direct additional measures, including against the IRGC and IRGC-affiliated personnel and facilities, as appropriate".

Source BBC Live UPDATES

• Agree 1