Govt Wants People to Reduce Incense Burning for Chinese New Year to Stop Air Pollution

webfact

1 hour ago, Luuk Chaai said:

Remember Superman comics ?   What Is Bizarro World?

every day 

The Tangled Problem of Sugarcane Burning in Thailand | Think Global Health

as oppossed to Cigarettes or incense: healthwise there is hardly any difference - BJMO

A low hanging fruit of gov "action" to combat air pollution

Supposedly really not healthy to be exposed to joss-sticks all the time

The Adverse Impact of Incense Smoke on Human Health: From Mechanisms to Implications

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8548258/

10 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

If this approach to the burning problem wasn't so sad it would be funny... please address the real problem.

You’ve got that right. Quite cynical.

18 minutes ago, Dr Jon said:

How about stopping the illegal cigarette burning in bars and restaurants?

One of the main reasons I won't eat out, i.e. unless it's a smoke free environment.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikebell said:

Does the police have access to this app?  Is there a website I could guide them to? How would I check the area around me in Nong Prue?

What would you expect the police to do? Though it is against the law to burn crops how many instances can you site, where they actually upheld the law and prosecuted farmers who were burning their crops, destroying the environment, and poisoning their own people? 

What is really mind boggling is how a guy like Mr. Karom Phonphonklang, the Deputy government spokesperson, can take himself seriously on any level. We certainly don't, I doubt more than 1% of the population does, and yet this joker thinks he's actually doing productive work. 

I just can't find the words, to express,  just how stupid these government officials are, it use to be funny, but as time goes on I just can't understand the ineptitude of these people... how many readers remember the air purifiers they had around Bangkok and the flood prevention boats... talk about a mob of brainless clowns.

Edited by Aussie999
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

incense sticks actually do create lots of micro particles.  Its a good idea but should be implemented along with the military using those armored vehicles to crack down on crop burning.  

Negotiations with nearby countries is also needed.  Which will entail money.  

Lots of money needed to bring in modern farm equipment.  

Overnight they could have military inspectors at each cane collection point as well as the processing plants ,and all truck drivers hauling burnt cane should have trucks confiscated and go to jail.  Burnt cane market could be 90% stopped in 1 week.   Provide protective clothes and masks to encourage hand slashing the cane.   Allow seasonal workers to come in since many thais are now to lazy to cut cane by hand. 

Slowly implement a trash hauling policy across thailand with associated dumps.  It would need to be subsidized at first. 

Use the silly 10k digital money to begin with.  Clean air will help the thai people, and tourism more than 300usd. 

And cows in the US do emit a high amount of methane per calorie.   It would be better for the planet if we were all vegetarians or insect eaters.   I am not one of those fine persons.  

Edited by Elkski

4 hours ago, JGon said:

There's absolutely nothing that the government of Thailand or any ASEAN country could do about air pollution this time of the year. It's the dry season, farmers have ingrained in their minds that they must burn the remnants of their old crops and everyone drives their diesel pickups and trucks everywhere. Even if by some miracle Thailand could stop all the burning tomorrow... it wouldn't change a thing! Because all the surrounding countries do the same thing or worse. This time of the year the winds usually come from Laos and China... and guess what?... They won't stop burning or using diesel vehicles... so the only thing you can do is deal with it (I usually travel away until the winds change and the rains come back).

Pretty sure Malaysia (under PM Mahatir) stopped it or reduced burning of Palm Oil empty fruit bunches (EFB's).

I was involved with big companies like Sime Darby,Guthrie etc introducing chipping and mulching  (compost) which proved very effective as a fertilizer etc.

Mahatir was adamant that the wide scale burning stop and even had strong words with neighbor Indonesia who, like Thailand, just disregarded the no burning protocol.

So, the Indonesian smoke just blew over Malaysia in the "right" wind conditions.

But there, the Big ex British plantation companies adhered more to the government's demands.

Not here !