And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

On 2/9/2024 at 5:18 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am amazed how many people still go to Phuket, for holiday or to live there.

I was there the first time 30 years ago and at that time it was an obvious rip-off. Did it improve over the years? Obviously not.

I wonder if anybody who decided to live there do any research? 

I entirely agree. Having been all over Thailand since first arriving here in 1962 Phuket is the last place where I would ever choose to live.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:52 PM, Galong said:

Six of my very good friends have had enough of Phuket and all six are leaving because of traffic. Another friend and his family of four just bought a house a relocated here from the UK. After just a few months, they are already looking for ways to leave. 

How many of you have lost friends due to the 'progress' going on in Phuket?

None!!

On 10/12/2024 at 10:09 PM, grumpyoldman said:

Thats the program I'll be after. 4 months US, 4 months Khao Lak area maybe...., 4 months Philippines but not sure where. Going to check out Cebu and Northern Luzon early next year.

If you're going to the PI, do as I did first - I got certified in SCUBA diving - greatest in the world with so much sea life and super clear water - literally as clear as drinking water.  In the PI I also did an "Advance Open Water" certification - at 135 ft deep, nighttime, the full moon was clear as sitting on the boat and observing that ball in the sky.  Did well over 500 dives there - sunken warships, giant whale sharks, wateris not too cold so don't have to wear wetsuits, just pure pleasure dives available throughout the PI.  Great golf courses too.  Baguio in N. PI great when cooler weather needed.  Avoid the typhoon months though - they normally get 20 storms a year. Just a suggestion, depending on what you enjoy in life.

• Agree 1

Now you can throw the taxation dreams of the finance ministry into the equation and the exodus will increase drastically ....... Well, they know better so let them have it their way; the Lord knows everything and some Thais know even more 😉 

Phuket has been a "no go" zone for me for a decade! Who in their right mind would go there now. "Little Russia" and fraud "en masse" is the norm! I guess Chinese gangsters will blend in as well soon if not already....

On 2/9/2024 at 5:18 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am amazed how many people still go to Phuket, for holiday or to live there.

I was there the first time 30 years ago and at that time it was an obvious rip-off. Did it improve over the years? Obviously not.

I wonder if anybody who decided to live there do any research? 

Yeah. Not sure why would anyone retire in a high touristy area. 

I'm proactively looking at retirement now.  Currently swithering between Thailand and Philippines.  Phuket never made it onto my long list after holidaying there 12 years ago (loved it), then 9 years ago (didn't love it due to the Russian influx and their negative impact on the Thais).  Hua Hin is my favourite place so far, but more research to be done.  Philippines?  Not found anywhere I love yet (been to Cebu, Manila, Angeles, Kalibo, Taal and Palawan).  A Filipino I know has recommended the Subic area (less typhoon impact, less busy but still got some life about it).  Going to check that out next.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:52 PM, Galong said:

Six of my very good friends have had enough of Phuket and all six are leaving because of traffic. Another friend and his family of four just bought a house a relocated here from the UK. After just a few months, they are already looking for ways to leave. 

How many of you have lost friends due to the 'progress' going on in Phuket?

I have lost zero.

Phuket is great as long as you do not live in a typical tourist area.

It is a third the size of greater London, there are lots of nice areas to live in.

I would hate to live in a small village where nothing at all goes on especially in Isaan, too backward for me, why not go one step further and live in a cave like a primitive? 😁

Oh and the other fallacy is it is overrun by Russians, people believe anything that is said/written on ArseBook, etc, so dim. 

The roads in this estate are private and so I hear a car go past the house maybe once every few hours, it is so quiet,  yet the banks, chemists, convenience shops, etc are just a few minutes walk away. 

And it is reassuringly expensive to keep the riff-raff away.