Tragedy on Lufthansa Flight from Bangkok to Germany

NextG

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Math seems a bit strange - even if the 1.5 hours was just outbound flight time.  That he was allowed to fly also seems at odds with normal practice these days.  So wife got back on a replacement flight leaving body where?  UK news reporting seems almost as bad a local stuff.

A bit of a silly comment with regard to U.K. news reporting. It’s obviously just put together from other news reports. 

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

A bit of a silly comment with regard to U.K. news reporting. It’s obviously just put together from other news reports. 

The OP source is a UK report.  I am not saying all UK (or Thai) reporting is bad.  But we seem to get a bunch of it here on the internet.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The OP source is a UK report.  I am not saying all UK (or Thai) reporting is bad.  But we seem to get a bunch of it here on the internet.  

Like most news, I find it best to copy a few key words and do a Google (Or Bing) search to get the story from several sources.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Flight from hell: Husband, 63, dies beside his wife when 'litres of blood' shoot out of his nose and mouth all over the interior of the plane in front of screaming passengers flying from Bangkok to Germany

Passengers say they were offered 10 francs after returning to Bangkok airport

By JAMES REYNOLDS 

image.jpeg

Horrified air passengers screamed and were left 'traumatised' yesterday when a German husband started coughing up 'litres of blood' in front of his wife before collapsing and dying mid-flight. Passengers took pictures onboard as the drama unfolded

Horrified air passengers screamed and were left 'traumatised' yesterday when a German husband started coughing up 'litres of blood' in front of his wife before collapsing and dying mid-flight. 

The 63-year-old traveller, who has not been named, was said to have boarded the Lufthansa flight from Bangkok to Munich visibly ill before his condition rapidly deteriorated.

'It was absolute horror, everyone was screaming,' fellow passenger Martin Missfelder, 53, from Zurich, Switzerland, told Swiss outlet Blick.

image.jpeg

A medical vehicle is pictured at the airport after a man died on a flight from Bangkok yesterday

The man - who was travelling with his Filipina wife - had got on with 'cold sweats' and was 'breathing much too quickly' before passengers rushed to help him, offering chamomile tea and taking his pulse.

But as the plane took off, his health went quickly downhill. The man was said to have been spitting into a bag when a 'gush of blood' came out of his mouth and nose, splattering the walls of the Airbus A380 aircraft.

Full story: DAILY MAIL ONLINE 2024-02-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 7

34 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I know what the source is, since I posted it 🤦🏻‍♂️
I could have used the Blick report from which it quotes. But then you could complain about the Swiss report…

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, NextG said:

I know what the source is, since I posted it 🤦🏻‍♂️
I could have used the Blick report from which it quotes. But then you could complain about the Swiss report…

Sometimes, you just can't win.

I appreciate the OP link, though it's blocked here in China.  Still had enough info to do a Bing search and get the story from several sources.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Scary for everyone. Wondering if it was a virus/infection that killed him... and was he contagious or not. Maybe just lung cancer or simply heart failure. Cause of death, that's what everyone really wants to know. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

"Passengers took pictures onboard as the drama unfolded."  Why?  Were they going to update their status on Facebook, Instagram, or some other social media platform?  

I'd have had my camera out, if only for the lawsuit.  And I can think of a few dozen other ways that customer photos could help any investigation.

15 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Is it even possible to cough up litres of blood unless youve been stabbed ?

Yep, when the plumbing breaks it all comes out. 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Urgh... thats rather horrific...  What a horrible way to go, not just for him but all those around him too. 

I'd have been sh!#ing it on that flight...  fear level 9 unlocked as I start to suspect something like hemorrhagic ebola...

One question though: If he was so visibly unwell, how come the boarding crew (gate staff) didn't raise concern ? 

More likely a perforated stomach ulcer. No doubt 20 20 hindsight will reveal a number of errors

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Is it even possible to cough up litres of blood unless youve been stabbed ?

Something like a perforated stomach ulcer might do it. Ruptured aorta or pulmonary artery? Although I suspect "liters" was an exaggeration. Were they measuring it with water bottles?