Air Pollution Crisis Escalates with Hotspots Surge

snoop1130

426513860_770687418428724_2183383115044408229_n-696x509.jpg

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) reported detecting nearly 6,000 hotspots across neighboring countries on Sunday (Feb 11), with Cambodia accounting for the majority at over 4,000.

Satellite data from the Suomi NPP satellite identified a total of 5,823 hotspots, with Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam also contributing to the count.

Within Thailand, 601 hotspots were observed, particularly in Kanchanaburi province, which had the highest number at 110.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: The Pattaya News 2024-02-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) reported detecting nearly 6,000 hotspots across neighboring countries on Sunday (Feb 11), with Cambodia accounting for the majority at over 4,000.

Satellite data from the Suomi NPP satellite identified a total of 5,823 hotspots, with Myanmar, Laos, and Vietnam also contributing to the count.

Within Thailand, 601 hotspots were observed, particularly in Kanchanaburi province, which had the highest number at 110

It's an Asian thing... burning is their go-to method.

An image lacking any identification of or weblink to its source has been removed for contravening the forum's Community Standards.

"In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source."

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When you have a crisis that is not being addressed, by do nothing politicians like the current PM, this is what happens. Real problems need real solutions. I could come up with 10 of them but so far the people in charge have not come up with one, other than discouraging people from burning incense during Chinese New Year. 

The PM is busy trying to please his master by making great efforts to sell the unviable land bridge to foreigners (to get big consulting contracts) and get the digital wallet done, which will probably tie him up in legal knots and pave the way for the master's daughter to step in. 

• Like 2

It reminds me of the people who talk about living in the newly developed cities of Seoul, Beijing, Delhi etc... when the air quality in those cities is horrible.  But the solution is to not only build better public transport systems but also force people to use them. 

3 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Smart post. But a very simple question. If there was a law that you had to smoke 20 cigarette a day to stay in Thailand would you stay?

I fear the situation is actually worse than that.

My thought exactly. I prefer to live the last few years of my life breathing good air, exercising . Good quality of life matters to me. Everyone makes their own choices in life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Here in Muang Thong Thani the air is filled with eye burning smoke, I haven't seen it this bad before, just a quick walk with the dog and my eyes and throat are burning and irritated. Stay safe, and don't go out if you don't have to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Smart post. But a very simple question. If there was a law that you had to smoke 20 cigarette a day to stay in Thailand would you stay?

I fear the situation is actually worse than that.

Not at all here in the Pang Mapha Valley. Nearly dustfree, that usually will change in the middle of March (for ~+1 month).

1 hour ago, puck2 said:

Not at all here in the Pang Mapha Valley. Nearly dustfree, that usually will change in the middle of March (for ~+1 month).

https://aqicn.org/city/thailand/pang-ma-pha-hospital/

It's the 2.5 that's killing you. Doesn't look that good to me.

8 months of the year is ok. But 4 months of the year you're a 24/7 smoker.

Edited by sidjameson
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Pretty good here on Samui.

Blue skies with a bit of cloud.

What is the current air quality in Ko Samui?

Air pollution level Air quality index Main pollutant
Moderate 61 US AQItrend PM2.5 (17µg/m³)

Actually, air pollution isn't as bad this year- yet anyway.

Obviously some places are relatively free particularly in the south, but that hardly lessens the extent of the issue in other regions. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BKKKevin said:

I'm confused!?... Didn't the Prime Minister say last week that this problem was solved?... :coffee1:

Well, he went and talked to Cambodia about this issue last week, that obviously went nowhere. But the Pot calling the Kettle black probably fell on deaf ears anyways.