Air purifier which to buy?

mrmicbkktxl

2 minutes ago, Tom100 said:

I got the Hatari air purifier model AP12R1, room size 32 sq m

Under 3000 on Lazada

hatari.JPG

Have had several Hatari over the years but had issues getting filters when they changed models and they are not cheap.  But units worked well.

18 minutes ago, Tom100 said:

I got the Hatari air purifier model AP12R1, room size 32 sq m

Under 3000 on Lazada

hatari.JPG

Those are a Thai made model with a generally good reputation among users here. They used to sell their own HEPA filters directly online from their website, but not sure they still do.

FWIW, I've read some info in the past that Hatari's HEPA filters may not be of the higher quality so-called True HEPA variety. They say their HEPA filters "Filters fine dust particles, allergens and other foreign particles as small as 0.3 micron" -- but they don't specify to what efficiency rate 99%, 99.5%, 99.97%, the latter being what's called True HEPA.

"Filters meeting the HEPA standard must satisfy certain levels of efficiency. Common standards require that a HEPA air filter must remove—from the air that passes through—at least 99.95% (ISO, European Standard)[4][5] or 99.97% (ASME, U.S. DOE)[6][7] of particles whose diameter is equal to 0.3 μm, with the filtration efficiency increasing for particle diameters both less than and greater than 0.3 μm.[8

"Products that are marketed to be "HEPA-type," "HEPA-like," "HEPA-style" or "99% HEPA" do not satisfy the HEPA standard and may not have been tested in independent laboratories. Although such filters may come reasonably close to HEPA standards, others fall significantly short.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA

Model AP12R1:

https://www.hatari.co.th/en/product/UHJvZHVjdDo3NQ%3D%3D

https://www.hatari.co.th/en/category/air-filters

One other downside to Hatari is that they're primarily a fan manufacturer, not an air purifier manufacturer.... I think they've only ever had a single air purifier model offered at any given time.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

have you ever stood in front of an aircon outside.  An aircon is a heat exchanger and it does not just circulate internal air without an outside vent.  Its why portable aircons are a waste of money and never really work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVLhrLTF878

No -I think he was right.  The vent you mentioned is not taking air from inside the home.  It is expelling heat that is caused by cooling the recirculated air.  That is what I always thought but maybe I'm missing something.

2 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

When you go to clean the filter, all the dust just comes out. 

That's kind of the whole point of an air purifier - suck in all the bad stuff and trap it in the filters, and release clean air to the room. It's best to replace filters rather than clean them IMO.

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

A 'normal' air-con, be it inverter or old style, DO NOT vent any air out of the room. They merely circulate the air whether cooling it, or de-humidifying it. The only thing which goes outside is the water which it extracts.

Agreed they're not venting anything out but they can be cleaning the air passing through them.  Not sure how effective but the option on my one is described thus in the manual:

image.png.62ebdc8bb1553974e6c466229ca8339e.png

I've seen a few shows in the UK dubious of the claims they make. It's just natural dust from the suction they attract. The actual computer mechanism making claims - dubious it's actually measuring true dust. 

Furthermore, most people when they remove the filter, or attempt to clean it are just releasing alot of the dust straight back out. 

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Sad 1

Air purifiers are nothing more than a fan with fancy electronics.

It is the HEPA & charcoal filter that does all the work.

The 2 things you need to consider is:

1. The total area you want to purify, and buy a purifier rated for greater than this; and

2. Availability and cost of replacement filters.  It's the HEPA filters that will cost more than the purifier over the lifetime of operation.

Tip.  You can vacuum the outer charcoal filter to remove accumulated junk and extend its life, but when the HEPA is full, you need to replace it.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

I would like to buy an air purifier but have no idea which one to buy.At lazada the most sold brand is XPX,but it is very cheap makes me wonder if it really helping.

Also saw Xiaomi and Electrolux.Does anyone has experience with purifiers?What is the difference between a 20k and 700thb purifier?

I use the latest Philips model. Was tested No 1 in some EU countries. Works perfectly 

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never heard of this name/brand at all when it comes to air purifiers.  There's probably a reason it's "very cheap."

I have an XPX bought on Shopee and cost 750 Baht. I will be buying a second one. Same model. Same supplier but price has dropped to 650 Baht.

I live in a farming area where dust is an issue so my air purifier is making a noticeable difference. 

I see them advertised on TV for thousands of Baht. That is really profiteering on a grand scale.

55 minutes ago, Thaddee said:

There is a Chiang Mai company that, in cooperation with Chiang Mai university and some German engineers, has created a simple et effective air purifier. No frills, no extra electronic sensors and gadgets but effective and quite silent. Last year they ran out of replacement filters but they might have prepared more for this season. Check out their website https://airdeveloppa.co/ Their air purifier works great at a fraction of the cost of a Xiaomi.

This is a great tip. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thaddee said:

There is a Chiang Mai company that, in cooperation with Chiang Mai university and some German engineers, has created a simple et effective air purifier. No frills, no extra electronic sensors and gadgets but effective and quite silent. Last year they ran out of replacement filters but they might have prepared more for this season. Check out their website https://airdeveloppa.co/ Their air purifier works great at a fraction of the cost of a Xiaomi.

This air purifier is essentially a fan unit that clips on top of a Xiaomi 4 Lite filter. The filters are identical to Xiaomi's and the same price. Obviously its going to be cheaper because there is no housing and minimal electronics.

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Buy a separate meter, same goes for all purifiers

Actually many have a built in monitor of some type.  But portable meters are available and useful to get an idea of levels outside of purified area.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Portable aircons are, as you say, useless because the heat extracted from the room just stays in the room.

You were absolutely right in the first part of your reply, but wrong about this. 

Portable aircons always have a big round flexible pipe that you are supposed to vent to outside, to remove the warm air.

Unlike air coolers, which is a totally different animal.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually many have a built in monitor of some type.  But portable meters are available and useful to get an idea of levels outside of purified area.

Yeah of course most have monitors, but I'm talking about testing other areas

21 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Air purifiers don't need to run 24/7. If you get Xiaomi (I have these so I'm confident, but I would bet some others have the same), they are Wifi connected and controlled from mobile phone. On the phone, you can select schedule, and if you take whole home automation set, with air quality sensors, you can make even a lot more detailed automation of when to run, like when you're on the way home, turn it on 30 minutes before you arrive, etc.

I have one air purifier in each room. Set the bedroom ones to work overnight, and living/working room ones to work over the daytime but turn off at night. That can be easily overridden if pollution outside is really bad and a single air purifier can't handle it by simply turning others on by app or touch button on the box.

I prefer Xiaomi not only because they are cheap, but because they have air quality sensors and display with current information, can be controlled from phone, and have easily obtainable filter cartridges which cost about 800-900 baht each and last (in my case) about 9 months with schedule enabled, or about 6 months if running 24/7.

One word of caution with XIaomi - they have global and China versions. They use different cloud locations. So if you have China version, all is in Chinese and App has to be set to mainland China. I have all items Global versions, so I can control them all from same app. You'd need 2 phones if you had a mix. Chinese versions are usually a little cheaper than Global version.

The only wifi problem i have found with my Xiaomi it does not work with 5g systems wifi, but can use ok without wifi so ok

I've had the Hatari AR 12 for about 5 years and I am questioning its capability.

I've replaced the filter a few times but it can't get the 2.5 number down under 19-20

even with the machine on high speed for a number of hours.  I have a Smart Mi hand

held 2.5 meter that is quite accurate.  Apparantly, they discontinued this handy. little device but mine still works like a champ.  Powered by an old phone charger.  I compare the number

to what the nearest AQI reporting station has on Air Visual and it is always close.

Here in BKK, the air has been horrible lately and the Hatari has been on a lot.  When the AQI number goes into the 150-170 range, the machine struggles to get the number down.  Forget single digit 2.5 reading, I'd be happy to get it into the low teens.

BTW, I went out shopping a few days ago and left some windows open for "fresh" air.  When I came back about 4pm, I turned on the meter and it read 71!!!!  Gives you an idea how bad the air is in BKK.  Turned the Hatari on high and it got the number down to 25 in about an hour.  It couldn't do much better than 20 after a few hours.  The fan is fine and the filter is new.

I was positively surprised how fast I could measure the level going down on my device in one end of the apartment, and the purifier in the other. The apartment is 30 m2 and I use the Xiami 4 lite.

1 minute ago, john donson said:

if the aircon is on, pretty useless to put your air filter

Can to explain why?  The HEPA filter in the air filter is not effected by your aircon and still removes tiny ppm2/5 dirt from the air.  Most aircon remove only larger partials.

22 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

yeah,I have Sndway pm25 detector already.I have a few Xiaomi devices(phone,watch,scale) already and they work ok

Don’t buy the any of the Xiaomi home cctv cameras though, after a couple of months they force you to pay a subscription to view the recordings as I have now found out

We have a Philips 1215 air purifier and it works well.

Replacement filters from Philips Thailand run about 1,500 baht for the charcoal filter and 2,000 baht for the HEPA filter. Replacement filters on Lazada cost less than 350 baht for both. I suspect the Lazada HEPA filters aren't really up to standard, but will test one using an air quality monitor and see if it is ok.