Trump moves to dismiss his classified documents indictment, citing presidential immunity

Social Media

image.png

Trump Seeks Dismissal of Classified Documents Indictment, Citing Presidential Immunity

Former President Donald Trump is moving to dismiss his classified documents case in Florida, citing presidential immunity. In court filings, Trump's attorneys argue that his designation of records as personal under the Presidential Records Act (PRA) and their removal from the White House constitute official acts protected by immunity.

Key Points:
- Trump's lawyers contend that the charges against him, related to the handling of classified documents, should be dismissed due to presidential immunity.
- They argue that Trump is entitled to immunity for his official acts, including those related to the classification and removal of records.
- Trump's legal team filed three additional motions, addressing the vagueness of the statute he was charged with, the alleged unconstitutionality of special counsel appointments, and the Presidential Records Act.
- The former president's attorneys have previously indicated that they will argue the prosecution's probe into his handling of classified documents was politically motivated.
- Trump and his co-defendants, Walt Nauta and Carlos De Oliveira, have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- De Oliveira also filed a motion to dismiss his charges separately.
- A federal appeals court recently rejected a similar immunity argument from Trump in another case, but he has appealed that ruling to the Supreme Court.

Background:
- The charges against Trump stem from allegations of willfully retaining national defense information and ordering the deletion of security footage at his Florida estate.
- Trump's legal team maintains his innocence and argues that the prosecution's actions are politically biased.
- The outcome of this legal battle will have implications for Trump's future and his potential candidacy in the 2024 presidential election.

Source

image.png

2 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

So as long as they say the right things it's OK... no disagreeing.  So in your country there is not really free speech... more like acceptable speech... relying on the censors to determine what can and cannot be said.

Correct until the last bit. There is no censorship, just the law. Everyone knows the law it's published. Quite apart from censorship. Courts enforce it not censors.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

So the lawmakers are the censors with the courts enforcement of "proper" speech... not free speech.

My understanding of the law in my home country, the USA, is you are allowed free speech up to the point where you are inciting violence or illegal activities. In other words, if you're White, you can speak and write racist things about some other race, but you cannot advocate taking any illegal action against them, and that includes refusing them services.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

So the lawmakers are the censors with the courts enforcement of "proper" speech... not free speech.

Let me ask you this. Is there any free speech benefit to society in using the N word in public or marching down the street yelling "Jews will not replace us"?

Australians don't believe their free speech rights are impinged. It's a matter of civility. Some things have to give to keep the peace.

Coffee intermission. Going to the starbucks, pattaya beach. Back to fight debate  later LOL.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

My understanding of the law in my home country, the USA, is you are allowed free speech up to the point where you are inciting violence or illegal activities. In other words, if you're White, you can speak and write racist things about some other race, but you cannot advocate taking any illegal action against them, and that includes refusing them services.

That is true... "you cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater... however that is not the topic here... members here are advocating for others (mostly republicans who disagree with democrat policy)  to not be allowed to voice their disagreement in terms that might be offensive to the democrats... heaven forbid

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

That is true... "you cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater... however that is not the topic here... members here are advocating for others (mostly republicans who disagree with democrat policy)  to not be allowed to voice their disagreement in terms that might be offensive to the democrats... heaven forbid

Heaven does forbid as far as I can tell. It's not just offensive, both of the examples ai gave are self evidently incitement to violence.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Let me ask you this. Is there any free speech benefit to society in using the N word in public or marching down the street yelling "Jews will not replace us"?

Australians don't believe their free speech rights are impinged. It's a matter of civility. Some things have to give to keep the peace.

Coffee intermission. Going to the starbucks, pattaya beach. Back to fight debate  later LOL.

Whether or not there is a benefit to society in using the N word in public or marching down the street yelling "jews will not replace us" is not relevant... where would the good or bad qualifiers for speech come from and where would it stop?

Just because Australians don't believe their free speech rights are impinged... doesn't mean it isn't true... denial doesn't changed the definition.

If it's a matter of civility why does there have to be censorship... after all the public from both sides of the spectrum are totally civil... oh wait... neither side is and it is usually the side that perceives a threat to their agenda who calls for censorship.  Tolerance is usually not their forte.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Heaven does forbid as far as I can tell. It's not just offensive, both of the examples ai gave are self evidently incitement to violence.

Right... 555  democrats look at everything as an incitement to violence... except the real violence... ie BLM just to name one.  

Believe it or not there is much wisdom in the proverbial... "sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will never hurt you"  unless you want them to and let them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, metisdead said:

An off topic post trolling about the South Carolina primary election contravening our Community Standards and the replies have been removed.

I apologize for this post. I didn't intend it to be "trolling," nor directly about the South Carolina primaries. I intended it to show a profile of what I believe to describe most of the Trump supporters, including those who believe Trump is immune from prosecution because of his prior presidency. I accept @metisdead's removal and will try not to post "Off Topic" again. 

• Thumbs Up 1