Not sleeping well

sirineou

18 hours ago, sirineou said:

66 years old and for the past year I have not been sleeping well. I don't eat after six, I take multivitamins , B1 complex, melatonin and Magnesium.

I also often take Benadryl which gives me 7-8 hours of sleep.

If I don't take Benadryl 6 -7 hours  Usually interrupted by  1 hour half way through, which is why I always have a book on my nightstand.  . 

I am aware of the health benefits of  a good night's sleep , but also apprehensive about long term Benadryl use, 

I understand that as we age our sleep patterns change, and I am sure I am not the only one with this issue.

So I wonder how do you deal with such issue. I would appreciate and would consider any advice. 

I've been having my best sleep since I started drinking extra virgin olive oil. 2 tablespoons (30mls) every morning on an empty stomach and 2 tablespoons (30mls) 1 hour before bed every night. It also has numerous other health benefits too.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

I've been having my best sleep since I started drinking extra virgin olive oil. 2 tablespoons (30mls) every morning on an empty stomach and 2 tablespoons (30mls) 1 hour before bed every night. It also has numerous other health benefits too.

I love my olive oil in everything, but I never thought to take it as a supplement. I will give it a try. 

You are tight it a super food and has many benefites

12 hours ago, Globalres said:

1000mg of magnesium glycinate is far too much.  400mg is enough per day, you should not really exceed this. Too much magnesium has the opposite reaction, it keeps you awake rather than make you feel sleepy.  

there is a difference because a 1000 mg mag pill probably only have 100 mg ELEMENTAL

as man need 400 mg ELEMENTAL

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

5-6 hours is enough, stressing about it makes it worse. I go to sleep early, wake up early, get up 4am, if i wake up early 3am i get up, don't fight it

It may be enough for you but would definitely not be for most people.

Sleep requirements are very, very individual.

Number of hours needed per night do tend to decrease with age. I'm needing 1-2 hours less now than when I was young. But that still puts me at 7-8 hours.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Why would you worry about that? Dying peacefully in one's sleep is a much better alternative to being racked with pain, going out screaming.

Dying while fully conscious doesn't necessarily involve screaming in pain. I'd rather know what was happening than just not waking up.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 2:31 PM, sirineou said:

also often take Benadryl which gives me 7-8 hours of sleep.

You are lucky. I manage to get about 8 hours sleep but I wake up about 5 or 6 times in that period with a very dry throat. I normally manage to get back to sleep but I have not slept through now for years. I am 67 years old

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

5-6 hours is enough, stressing about it makes it worse. I go to sleep early, wake up early, get up 4am, if i wake up early 3am i get up, don't fight it

Exactly. It's quiet enough at that time of night at least in Pattaya. Watch TV, go for a drive, read. If you can't sleep, chances are you don't need to sleep.

I should add, I did 10 years of night shift. 5pm to 5am. Stopped work 9 years ago. Probably still recovering!

Edited by bradiston
  • Agree 1

6 to 8 large bottles of Leo knocks me out most nights.

I keep a large bottle of water next to the bed which I consume on my nightly p1ss breaks.

I don't eat after 5pm.

Bed at midnight and up at 9am.

I feel like cr@p for a few hours, usually by midday I am fine.

I only drink water (lots of it throughout the day) and 2 x coffees in the morning. Eat twice a day.

6pm I'm back on it.

Works for me!!

Edited by OnTheLash
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, sirineou said:
18 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I use to have sleeping problems and I tried exercising which helped a lot. But the one thing that helps me get a goods night sleep is smoking a joint before bedtime. Cannabis works great for sleeping. There are certain strains that are good for sleeping.

I have heard that,but  i cant handle pot . I am no angel i have smocked in my youth, but I had not smocked for decades and found my self in a car with a couple of friends who were smocking, and said what the heck let me have some. 

I am  not sure if the stuff you guys smoke now days is a lot stronger than back then, or I am a lightweight, but I did not enjoy the experience at all! and that was the last time i tried it about 10 years ago.

I winder if there is a superman in a pill or extract form that would help. That might be something to look into. 

I really don't like smoking pot...  I dislike the smell of it too....   I also like the way Thailand has shown its moderate side and legalised Marijuana so that we can all legally enjoy its benefits. 

One of those benefits for me is 'the Gummy'... laced with Marijuana... Half of one of these before bed time and I have a great nights sleep....  the only issue of course is that I don't want to make a habit of this, so I have to be careful. 

If I've had one great nights sleep, I'm not so bothered about it for the next few nights, so that kind of removes what I call 'sleep paranoia' whereby falling to sleep is more difficult because we are stressing about sleep.... i.e. if we know we have a fall back, or can have a great nights sleep tomorrow night, we can be more relaxed about the approaching evenings sleep (if its becoming an issue).

Just this week, as pain relief I 'dabbled' with Kratom, apparently its supposed to make you a little hyper, but it made me quite chilled...  I quite enjoyed the feeling (initial very mild euphoria, followed by chundering as I'd had too much, and then just taking a couple of small glasses in the evening) - I slept quite well without anything else... (ah..  a glass of 15 Year Macallan - but thats not enough to send me into a slumber).

So... OP...  if you're open minded - Marijuana Gummies - they seem to work quite nicely for me.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

One of those benefits for me is 'the Gummy'... laced with Marijuana... Half of one of these before bed time and I have a great nights sleep....  the only issue of course is that I don't want to make a habit of this, so I have to be careful. 

Yea I don't really  like the smell of it, and being that as I aged I became a bit of a control freak I did not like the way it made me feel , I don't know how to describe it. Sort of like insecure, like if something happened I would not be able to deal with it. 

I am glad it was legalised in Thailand, with all the things wrong in this world , putting people in jail and ruining lives for a bit of weed is IMO a crime. 

I am interested in those gummies  where, or how  can I get some, 

And no, I am not meeting some guy in the school yard :cheesy:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am interested in those gummies  where, or how  can I get some, 

And no, I am not meeting some guy in the school yard :cheesy:

I get em from Biff behind the bike sheds !!!

I got some from one of the weeds cafes on Sukhumvit- I think most of them sell the gummies. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I get em from Biff behind the bike sheds !!!

I got some from one of the weeds cafes on Sukhumvit- I think most of them sell the gummies. 

I made the joke because , in my youth (100 years ago) if one wanted to buy weed one would go to the school yard  by the handball courts. :laugh: To show you how long ago it was, that you could buy nikel and dime bags ($5and $10) and you actually got a bunch of joints out of a  nickel bag. 

Anyway. We are in Khon Kaen and have no idea where one would get some but I will ask around. 

Lap swimming or long walk early morning followed by 10mins meditation during the day, has been my usual routine.

Then if any problems sleeping which is rare, I listen to rainforest sounds or Tibetan flute white noise on my Google Home.

On even rarer occasions, I get up and embrace the opportunity of the free time, until I need to crash while still maintaining my usual bed and wake up times the next day.

I only have half a coffee and one cup of tea during the day and avoid alcohol and cigarettes.

Edited by LosLobo

On 2/28/2024 at 11:55 AM, TigerandDog said:

What nutrients does it have? I always thought olive oil was a scam food

3 hours ago, Nemises said:

Healthy food and plenty of exercise ensures a good night’s sleep. No need for drugs, alcohol or substance abuse. 

No it doesn't guarantee a good sleep. A lot of it is due to other factors like age, living arrangements.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 9:34 AM, sirineou said:

Hmm , unfortunately it is in capsule form and can't be cut in half . I have to look into this and if correct throw them out. 

1 capsule wont have 1000mg. With tablets absorption rates are often less than 40%.

18 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Then if any problems sleeping which is rare, I listen to rainforest sounds or Tibetan flute white noise on my Google Home.

On with Classic FM and a few Sudokus and I am off to the Land of Nod.

Tried Kratom tea this week for experimental purposes. Slept for 11 hours last night, no pee-pee, and the pain in my shoulder was gone. Hmmmmmm!

• Thumbs Up 1

I read a book (ebook on IPad) for about 30mins to an hour and off I go. 4-6 hours usually - sometimes an additional 2-3. The Thai wife nods off immediately and sleeps forever - I swear she could sleep on a rock in a storm - jealous I am. 

On 2/27/2024 at 8:25 PM, Barnet1900 said:

Last one. Your missus might hate me for this, but I sleep on the floor on a kind of 6 inch thick, soft floor mat. If I sleep next to someone one turn, knock, kick or snore can disrupt my sleep and set me off again.

i sleep in a separate room in a separate building in a separate province, havent got to the separate country.........yet

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

No it doesn't guarantee a good sleep. A lot of it is due to other factors like age, living arrangements.

I can tell you it does. I'm 73 and since I've started drinking EVOO around 6 months ago, I'm sleeping better than ever.

1 hour ago, Dolf said:

The guy is only in his ‘60s, hardly too old to be exercising. So exercise definitely would benefit his sleep. 

Edited by Nemises
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I can tell you it does. I'm 73 and since I've started drinking EVOO around 6 months ago, I'm sleeping better than ever.

What if you just ate olives?

16 minutes ago, Nemises said:

The guy is only in his ‘60s, hardly too old to be exercising. So exercise definitely would benefit his sleep. 

I actually get a fair amount of exercise. I ride my bicycle 3-4 times a week 5-10 km , probably less now that is starting to get hot, perhaps I will start going to the pool and doing laps again soon. 

We have a 1 rai play farm. garden , so I go there almost every day. there is always something to do.

We were at Do home  yesterday to buy some electrical components I needed, and I saw they had a Nautilus like excursive machine for sale , and we have a big airconditioned room downstairs ,  me the wife are thinking of buy in it, and setting up a gym there. I do need to increase my muscle mass that burns more calories.

Anyway we can all benefit from more exercise. I was always in very good shape, and I don't like what I see in the mirror.