Powerhouse: Thaksin’s family mansion back at center of Thai politics

webfact

I’ve driven by it several times ,several properties in there , his own gated community for his family members nicely in off the road surrounded by large mature trees , buildings can be seen on approach from a distance on the left well before driving by the entrance road 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, barrybike said:

I’ve driven by it several times ,several properties in there , his own gated community for his family members nicely in off the road surrounded by large mature trees , buildings can be seen on approach from a distance on the left well before driving by the entrance road 

Google map sat view link?

9 hours ago, smedly said:

why was it not seized along with all his other ill gotten gains

shocking

Not that a whataboutism should be applied, but why not chase down the elitist crooks who have been getting away [and perfectly accepted] with such things for ages. 

Everything Shinawatra is conveniently being used as a subliminal scapegoat. 

Shouldn't surprised anyone that most remain numb and silent regarding what's really happening.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, geisha said:

I doubt he will re enter politics. He’s too old . Of course he will stay interested , and I’m sure he’s got advice for his friends, he’s a very clever businessman, he didn’t become a billionaire by making mistakes, and as erroneously implied by many posters, it wasn’t « stolen » from the Thai people . In my eyes his only mistake was the way the drug runners were handled by the army leading to their deaths. There is still too much drug business in Thailand which hasn’t been handled well , as was seen lately on the Burma border where all mules were killed. Drugs are a huge problem  here. 
Otherwise I believe he did a lot of good helping also the poorer population.

I saw him twice in action close up, once on Bangla rd Patong , during the avian flu crisis, where he spoke to the people , the number of very poor  country folk in the seedy surroundings of Bangla was very touching, all had bags of food and meat given to them and everyone, including foreigners and tourists were urged to eat the chicken which was cooked by all the restaurants and hotels in Patong. 
Second time was just after the Tsunami where he was visibly shocked as he walked around the beach talking to people. In 24 hours there was help and clearing and as organized as anyone could hope for. He was very popular back then and I’m sure he is today. 
My personal hope is that in 4 ( 3?) years Move Forward will be more cautious and become the new party to lead Thailand.

Yet, MV and their minions need to be allowed to exist before they can lead anything.....and at this time, the power structures are doing everything to see that MV, and other like entities, are restricted from any such participation. 

13 hours ago, smedly said:

why was it not seized along with all his other ill gotten gains

shocking

Was it purchased with those ill-gotten gains or from legitimate means, Inquiring minds want to know. Why do so many despise this family? Rhetorical question.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Was it purchased with those ill-gotten gains or from legitimate means, Inquiring minds want to know. Why do so many despise this family? Rhetorical question.

He was a former police officer, then became a politician, everything is "ill-gotten gains". 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 2:42 PM, worgeordie said:

In the beginning of he been PM ,Thaksin did a lot of good things for Thai people,

30 Baht health scheme ,at the time even Farangs were included ,he modernized

the civil service ,where things got done in a day , not a week ,with one visit ,those

things alone were major for Thailand  

Then as often happens with people in power ,the power went to his head , he 

realised one does not need to spend his  money to win elections  ,use populist

policies ,the Government's money , knowing if you won in Isan and the North

you always won the elections . good or bad .....he was both 

regards worgeordie

You forgot about all the dead and missing...