Thai police foil luxury car fake plate scam in Bangkok

webfact

7 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Somebody educate me.  If these people legitimately own the car & are simply waiting for the legal plates to arrive, what is the incentive for them to spend money on forged red plates? 

Yeah, I find it really weird too. Fake plates were used in the past to avoid detection of stolen cars, not to brag about special '8888' lucky numbers which are obviously fake.

I think these people are more than a little dim

Dont toy get temporary tags when you buy a car?  And i thought you had red plates for a month or something, restricting your driving to 1 province.   Educate me please.   I never understood the red plate, time, driving area restrictions that i heard about. 

7 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Dont toy get temporary tags when you buy a car?  And i thought you had red plates for a month or something, restricting your driving to 1 province.   Educate me please.   I never understood the red plate, time, driving area restrictions that i heard about. 

Red plate restrictions are supposed to be:

1. Max 30 days

2. Can't drive after sunset

3. Can't leave province

The last two can be circumvented by having a log book where each travel is entered and the DLT signs off on it.

All the above is in theory. In practice people don't care and enforcement is severely lacking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh i forgot about the after sunset rule.  

Why are there the last 2 rules? 

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

1. Max 30 days

3. Can't leave province

The last two can be circumvented by having a log book where each travel is entered and the DLT signs off on it.

All the above is in theory. In practice people don't care and enforcement is severely lacking.

16 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

1. Max 30 days

3. Can't leave province

Yes, these are restrictions for legitimate red plates. 

Illegal red plates.... NO RESTRICTIONS 

Her RED plates were bought online, from a dodgy vendor. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, these are restrictions for legitimate red plates. 

Illegal red plates.... NO RESTRICTIONS 

Of course there are restrictions: you can't drive with them at all.

59 minutes ago, OneZero said:

Somebody educate me.  If these people legitimately own the car & are simply waiting for the legal plates to arrive, what is the incentive for them to spend money on forged red plates? 

Posing.

I've never understood these 'Face' numberplates.   Neighbour had a new Car with red plates and kept them on for two years until he was finally stopped and told to get his white plates on, no fine, no other penalty.   When i asked him why he did it he told me that he wanted people to think he was driving new cars all the time.    Something mentally wrong with these people !

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Of course there are restrictions: you can't drive with them at all.

Why are you commenting about legitimate, legal red plates, this posting is regarding illegal (FAKE) red plates.

Nothing to do with legal, DLT issued red plates. 

We all know the restrictions on DLT issued red plates. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why are you commenting about legitimate red plates, this posting is regarding illegal (FAKE) red plates.

Nothing to do with legal, DLT issued red plates. 

We all know the restrictions on DLT issued red plates. 

Because another poster wanted to know more about the retrictions on red plates.

29 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Oh i forgot about the after sunset rule.  

Why are there the last 2 rules? 

I can only guess but the red plates' purpose is to restrict normal usage of the car while not yet fully registered. They are supposed to enable the transfer of the car between dealerships, service centers or between whatever places but not to be used as normal vehicles. The system has existed for a lot of years and there's no real other way to limit their usage. It's a compromise. They should just get rid of the whole red plate system and ensure that registration takes a couple hours tops in this digital age.

prestige and keeping up with the Somchais, 

When Teslas Bangkok delivers new vehicle with normal white plates, some idiots would go and buy fake red plates to put them on, in case the neighbor might not notice that they bought a new car, or worse that they bought a second hand one

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Because another poster wanted to know more about the retrictions on red plates.

Its always a good idea to quote conversations when replying, it saves time and confusion for other members

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Its always a good idea to quote conversations when replying, it saves time and confusion for other members

I quoted everyone that I replied to.  Honestly, I'm confused by your posts. 🤔

Been here in Udon Thani three months haven't seen any cops. They are usually out harassing school kids for no helmets. The number of drivers turning right at traffic lights from the wrong lane and cutting in or going straight through from the left turning lane is starting to piss me off. I have even seen some old cars with no plates.The number of motor cycles with no tail light riding on a dark road is crazy people risking their life to save paying 10B for a light bulb. Time the cops got out and did their job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

Not if you haven’t paid the import taxes

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yeah, I find it really weird too. Fake plates were used in the past to avoid detection of stolen cars, not to brag about special '8888' lucky numbers which are obviously fake.

I think these people are more than a little dim

Dim enough to have a brand new Bentley to drive!

That she hadn't paid taxes yet was my original thought of why you would buy fake red plates but the article didn't mention that.   I also wondered why not buy fake white plates?  But i agree with some verification by posts here that some Thai  want everyone to know its a new car. 

In USA we get a paper plate ro tape in rear window.  Hardly visible through standard tinte on many vehicles.  Took like 6 weeks to get real plate in the mail.   

They also have dealer plates.   Seems loys of people working at car dealerships ger to use the cars or are doing test drive time on used ones.  I still dont understand the no night and only one province rule?  What if dealer is near a provincial line plus it gets dark so early there.  Oh yeah we bought a new car 3 weeks ago but cant drive it home to see mom.   Just starts the lawlessness and so everyone is a criminal so they have sympathy for real criminals.