Facebook-IG Outage Sends Online World into Chaos

webfact

FB is really an unpleasant, out of date platform, with censorship constantly looking over your shoulder. If an option, Twitter/X is much better. You can even talk to X's owner about problems, whereas you can't contact a human for customer service on FB at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You speak for yourself. I learn a huge amount via Facebook groups about subjects I'm interested in. Those who gain nothing from it don't know how to get the most out of it, and so trash the system. To me, they are the losers, not the users of such services.

Same with anything that is ultra successful and used by millions - Starbucks, McDonalds etc. Any company that provides customers with what they want. That to me is a pretty good business model, but along come the holier than thou's and condemn something they don't actually have to use if they don't want to.

And how many Thais do you this use FB the way you do? Not my missus that's for sure. apart from this my comment was about social media more generally phone addiction. I guess being without FB would sit somewhere within nomophobia.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You speak for yourself. I learn a huge amount via Facebook groups about subjects I'm interested in. Those who gain nothing from it don't know how to get the most out of it, and so trash the system. To me, they are the losers, not the users of such services.

Same with anything that is ultra successful and used by millions - Starbucks, McDonalds etc. Any company that provides customers with what they want. That to me is a pretty good business model, but along come the holier than thou's and condemn something they don't actually have to use if they don't want to.

I disagree. The lack of moderation and the admitted rise of hate speech and censorship kills the deal for me. I use it to contact unenlightened friends and family members and nothing else. I note that FB and X are currently embroiled in lawsuits over the rise in hate speech.  Hate speech isn't free speech. Sucks to be facebook.

Facebook actively fueled ethnic violence in Ethiopia's civil war by prioritizing hateful and dangerous content, then not moderating that content fast enough, or sometimes at all, says a new lawsuit filed against Meta, the social media giant's parent company.

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/17/1142873282/facebook-meta-lawsuit-ethiopia-kenya-abrham-amare

In what is known as the Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data scandal, Facebook users were targeted with political advertising without informed consent in an attempt to promote right-wing causes, including the presidential election of Donald Trump.[385] In addition to elections in the United States, Facebook has been implicated in electoral influence campaigns in places like Argentina, Kenya, Malaysia, the United Kingdom, and South Africa, as discussed in the 2019 documentary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Facebook

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

On March 5th, news outlets reported worldwide chaos online with hashtags #IGDown and #FacebookDown trending at number one. Around 10:30 PM, Facebook and Instagram suffered a major outage.

Luckily I don't use either service.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Undersea cables in the Red Sea have been cut causing “significant” damage to global telecommunications networks, according to Hong Kong telecoms company HGC Global Communications.

The firm reported damage to four undersea cables that had disrupted a quarter of the traffic between Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/red-sea-submarine-cables-cut-disrupting-global-internet-traffic

• Like 1

Meta shares down after services outage

meta-web.png

Meta-owned Facebook and Instagram were back up on Tuesday after a more than two-hour outage that was caused by a technical issue and impacted hundreds of thousands of users globally including Thailand.

The disruptions started at around 22:00 ICT (1500 GMT), with many users saying on rival social media platform X they had been booted out of Facebook and Instagram and were unable to log in.

The White House National Security Council was monitoring the incident and not aware of any specific malicious cyber activity at this time, a spokesperson said.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-03-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

The disruptions started at around 22:00 ICT (1500 GMT), with many users saying on rival social media platform X they had been booted out of Facebook and Instagram and were unable to log in.

Elon's X is dependable. Zuckerberg's FB is glitchy, plus they monitor your private messages in addition to your posts.

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Elon's X is dependable. Zuckerberg's FB is glitchy, plus they monitor your private messages in addition to your posts.

Why do you believe FB is monitoring your PM's? Spam filters, or are they spying on us?

I believe the 3 letter agencies,5 eyes countries,mossad,Bejing and the Cremlin all monitor,surveil,intercept and record whatever thay can sometimes in coperation with the "big tech" companies.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, george said:

Why do you believe FB is monitoring your PM's? Spam filters, or are they spying on us?

When I send a message via FB Messenger and FB refuses to send and has the link put in red. It's monitoring private messages. I've had things blocked like links to books on Goodreads, in addition to Z books. Why are they poking into my private messages. LINE doesn't do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So junk food is good?

12 hours ago, dinsdale said:

And how many Thais do you this use FB the way you do? Not my missus that's for sure. apart from this my comment was about social media more generally phone addiction. I guess being without FB would sit somewhere within nomophobia.

Most Thai women I know live on FB. That's where they show off the gold their boyfriend gave them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, John Drake said:

When I send a message via FB Messenger and FB refuses to send and has the link put in red. It's monitoring private messages. I've had things blocked like links to books on Goodreads, in addition to Z books. Why are they poking into my private messages. LINE doesn't do that.

So you say ,you don't know for sure if the whole internet traffic isn't Spying /Listening to everyone. and anything just go on anysite and look for something more then ones Next time you will see Adds for the stuff you've been looking for  so they All do it you just don't know it . Asean now knows every thing you do on their site .

Isn't that why it's being hacked 24/7 for one or an other reason or Company /country

No doubt the World was a much better place for a few hours without FB.  If it had gone on much longer, perhaps some sanity would have returned to mankind. That smug prick Zukerberganfowler, or whatever his name is,  should be treated as an international criminal. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dolf said:

So junk food is good?

Dunno wot junk food has to do with a FB topic but BOTH belong in a trash can -- of coarse, IMHO!!!!

Edited by bdenner
Typo
  • Like 2