British man quits England for Thailand’s tropical tranquility

22 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

"Riyan mentioned that his parents were “supportive” of his decision to move...."

In other words, they gave him an ultimatum.

Like Get Out to Thailand & Rent a Bar & Become a Millionair ???

Edited by 747man
More Added
  • Agree 1

The only aspect of this story that is unique, is his youth. Other than that, just another sensible guy giving up on his completely broken home nation. How he is going to survive here, without significant savings, nor a good income, will be the only worthy part of this story.

22 hours ago, Will B Good said:

?.....Can that be a problem....?

Many problems, how was he allowed in?

"Securing a Visa on Arrival upon entering Thailand", updated October 11, 2023 https://www.thaiembassy.com

(some of the requirements, have they all been waived since last year?):

• Be able to list a valid accommodation address in Thailand that can be verified. This address can be a hotel or an apartment.
  • Must have a confirmed return ticket exiting Thailand within 15 days. Open tickets do not qualify. 
  • Provide proof of funds of at least 10,000 THB for single travelers
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

Rubbish story. Hundred have done that. I did forty years ago still here. No big deal

What I find remarkable is the large number of success stories out there??

All you really hear about is the train crashes and wrecks, when I lived Pattaya listened to guys who had a brainwave that only they ever had and how easy it were going to be, they were smart, they knew....

Joined Merchant Navy in 1977 aged 22, first time Thailand (Bangkok) 1983 aged 28 left the ship and the agent agreed to have my UK flight ticket as open, had a great time even though a bit blurry.

2004 working for Stena Drilling asked if interested in a position out of Matak Island, Indonesia, said 'Yes' and using the UK 90 day tax rule, spent half my leave Asia 90 days, the other 90 in UK

2008 October, legally separated from Medusas sister who kept the house, shares everything in the UK while lots of my gear went missing. Started again aged 53 with only suitcases

2012 while working for Seadrill in China/Korea bought land via a Thai company and built a house.

2014 December 28th, decided to retire when stepping out a chopper in Dammam KSA

2015 June started taking my private pension.

2017 November 11th married my long term girlfriend of 2 years.

2021 August started receiving my frozen and reduced UK, OAP

2024 aged 69 have 11 dogs (6 GSD's), fruit trees, koi pond and more bikes than my wife agrees with and I am very happy with how my life is so different from the UK

Could I have had this future starting aged 22..............................................  No F#@&$% way.

You want to have success in a foreign field you need to put the time and effort in beforehand. 

Honestly, I wish him well he has a 'dream', but, what will he do when he cannot work anymore or becomes ill, then his dream will become a nightmare.

Hoping for the best is not a good plan.

Apologies for the rambling and inane rant

Edited by tmd5855
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Out of this world and out of your mind
Just like it don't matter what you're leaving behind
Trying to change your life you change your point of view
But no matter what you do it's the same old you
Wherever you go there you are
You can run from yourself but you won't get far

And another thing, you need to be located (positioned) where you have the best opportunity for success! In other words, live close to the spigot (Central Bank printing press). Easier in the western nations to catch and store coin.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Before departing for Thailand, Riyan worked 30 hours a week as a receptionist at Powerleague, earning £11 per hour (500 baht).

With that kind of educational and/or professional background, one wonders what kind of career he can reasonably expect in Thailand, as a foreigner. If any.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He could not afford to live independently in England when he had a job but he can afford to live in Thailand, apparently without any means of support, just three years out of his minimum-wage teenage years!?  Suspect the OP hasn't reported the full story.

How do you know what his finances are about and why do you care? Seems some people are just too cynical and nosey for their own good. So what. Nobody owes YOU an explanation. It's his business, not yours. The authors are not your personal private investigators. Obviously he is resourceful and has the necessary resources, and if lacking in immediate resources and plans  he has the confidence that he can make things work. Same as I did ten years ago, not knowing how I would make my finances work but figuring everything out along the way. Tell me, are all you scousers as miserable and judgmental? I guess the Beatles and Gerry Marsden were the exception. Thank God for that. 

He wants to live in THA as a 22 year with no work experience (other than as a receptionist)... what kind of long-stay Visa does he think he will get? Back-to-back-to-back EDs (not as easy as it use to be), Non-B (assuming he can even find a job he wants or can keep), or have daddy buy him an Elite Visa, seem like his only options. I think when this guy finally wakes up to the realities of THA immigration law, and job prospects for unskilled labor, he'll be heading home soon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He could not afford to live independently in England when he had a job but he can afford to live in Thailand, apparently without any means of support, just three years out of his minimum-wage teenage years!?  Suspect the OP hasn't reported the full story.

How do you know what his finances are about and why do you care?

I know what he made available to be published in he media and that is what I based my comment on...if he was lying, then he's a liar, fine.  I didn't say that I cared about his finances, I don't, I simply made an observation on his own words.

23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Presumably he entered either visa exempt or on TV. And indeed he needs to find a job. 

That'll be interesting. I wonder how he can circumvent Thai law of farangs doing jobs a Thai can do, and I'm pretty sure Thais can be receptionists. Anyway, doesn't one need to apply for a work permit outside Thailand and have a company that has agreed to employ one before getting one.

I wonder how his Thai language skills are.

I think I can see the end of his little adventure  in the not too distant future, as he creates a Go fund me site to pay for his return ticket.

If it were that easy to stay in LOS, I'd still be there.

54 minutes ago, tmd5855 said:

2004 working for Stena Drilling

You made a good decision. After leaving the military I had 3 choices, Australian mines, Oil drilling industry or nursing + woman. Of course I picked the worst possible option, and suffer for it still.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:20 PM, Crossy said:

Go for it Riyan.

If it all goes pear-shaped you are still young enough to re-boot somewhere else, even back home.

But, how do you plan to support yourself and later your parents?

If this is the same guy who posted on TikTok, he said he’s going to be supporting himself in the now fashionable way, doing vlogs and YouTube content.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Shmo said:

He hasn’t got a plan. And don’t tell him about Isaan, we don’t want to let the greatest secret out to everyone!

I ❤️ Isaan! 

So did I when I lived in Thailand. Having lived 14 years in Lanna, I moved across to Isaan (rural Khon Kaen Province) for a further 6 years of happiness. Many happy memories and a great bunch of multi-national ex-pats! Several of us were volunteers with the Tourist Police attending local festivals.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Falcon said:

If this is the same guy who posted on TikTok, he said he’s going to be supporting himself in the now fashionable way, doing vlogs and YouTube content.

Yeah, I think that came out in later posts. 

The market for Thailand vlogs must be approaching saturation by now (I've never watched even one).

Unless he has an unusual angle, he's going to join the also-rans!

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Just Googled Tourist Visa for arriving in Thailand

When you arrive in Thailand, you will need to provide the following documents at Passport Control:

• Passport with approved visa attached (if you applied at an Embassy)
  • Confirmation letter of visa approval (if you applied online)
  • Confirmed exit flight from the country
  • Confirmed accommodation (at least for the first night in the country)
  • Financial statement or bank statement showing funds available (10,000 or 20,000 Thai Baht equivalent)

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Interesting, I have entered twice on tourist visa with no outbound ticket.

Somebody should tell thai airways it is a requirement... but then immigration at swampy did not care either !

Only UK nationals under retirement age need to do this. UK nationals on state pension can enter the country without having to prove their financial status. I also entered the country on a one way ticket it is not a requirement for retirees. The requirement to show financial status is to stop young yobs coming here and causing mayhem, which is apparently what happened before it wss introduced

Edited by RobU
More info

44 minutes ago, Caldera said:

With that kind of educational and/or professional background, one wonders what kind of career he can reasonably expect in Thailand, as a foreigner. If any.

He is making money on TikTok.

His real problem will be visa.  Won't set in immediately but once he has had multiple border bounces it will. 

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Does a Tourist Visa not require evidence of an outbound ticket, air, land, sea. 

No it does not.

That requirement is for visa exempt entry not for entry on a TV. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By the looks of him, my vote is Indian

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sitting there all smug.  Drinking champagne, nice clothes, gold chain, fresh haircut, at a rooftop bar. 

I see a YouTube channel in his future.

Daddy will buy him an Elite Visa. Fund his lifestyle. We should all be so lucky.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You made a good decision. After leaving the military I had 3 choices, Australian mines, Oil drilling industry or nursing + woman. Of course I picked the worst possible option, and suffer for it still.

Working in the Oil industry and spending your leave between women's limbs create a bubble and bust routine.

The Merchant Navy had me visiting bars all around the World were I would fall deeply and seriously in love, shore leave ending and ship sailing got my head straight until the next port.

By the time I came to be a tax exile in Thailand (50yrs) the magic extremely attractive women could conjure up no longer worked on me as it would a newbie........ That is not to say I did not have my head turned, I did and twice they left with Honda Clicks.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Many problems, how was he allowed in?

"Securing a Visa on Arrival upon entering Thailand", updated October 11, 2023 https://www.thaiembassy.com

(some of the requirements, have they all been waived since last year?):

• Be able to list a valid accommodation address in Thailand that can be verified. This address can be a hotel or an apartment.
  • Must have a confirmed return ticket exiting Thailand within 15 days. Open tickets do not qualify. 
  • Provide proof of funds of at least 10,000 THB for single travelers

People from Britland get a Visa on Arrival ?

I thought they could enter on visa exempt.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

30000 Baht a month goes along way with a family.

He would need a degree to be a teacher. he is only used to a job with near UK minimum wages. Again you cannot put a guy with such an ugly face in front of school children, all that facial hair?? He would give the children nightmares.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:06 PM, webfact said:

Riyan Ruparelia

By the looks of him, I'll say Indian descent. Ruparelia is a Hindu surname, specifically associated with the Lohana community. He certainly does not look broke. Someone is bankrolling him.

On 3/6/2024 at 12:06 PM, webfact said:

IMG_9386-1.jpg

On 3/6/2024 at 6:06 PM, webfact said:

riyan.jpg

A disgruntled British man declared he has quit England for Thailand pledging never to return to his homeland.

Riyan Ruparelia left Blighty for the Land of Smiles in January vowing he’d had enough of truth-twisting ruling Conservative Party, Sir Keir Starmer’s Tory-lite opposition Labour Party, and the economic destruction of the United Kingdom and its soaring crime rate.

The 22 year old London-born receptionist booked a one-way ticket to Bangkok, Thailand, at the beginning of the year, revealing plans to tour Thailand for a few months before finding somewhere to settle down.

Before departing for Thailand, Riyan worked 30 hours a week as a receptionist at Powerleague, earning £11 per hour (500 baht).

While still living with his parents in Brent, London, Riyan realised he couldn’t afford to rent a place of his own in the UK, prompting him to explore other options. Having visited Thailand thrice before, Riyan developed a deep affection for the country and bought a one-way ticket from Heathrow for £500 (22,750 baht).

Having spent two months in Thailand, Riyan is determined never to return to the UK and aspires to bring his family to Thailand once he has settled down. He also expressed feeling safer walking alone at night in Thailand compared to the UK, where he felt too apprehensive to do so.

IMG_9385-1.jpg
Picture courtesy of Riyan Ruparelia’s Facebook account

“I don’t plan to live in the UK ever again. I will come back and see my family but I don’t feel like the UK is the sort of place I can see myself living now. As a country, it is not heading in the right direction.”

During his time in the UK, Riyan held a receptionist position, earning just above the minimum wage. Working full-time at £11 per hour, he acknowledges that he would have struggled to afford to move out of his parents’ home and rent his own property.

“On my wage, I was just not able to move out of my family home. I know for a fact I would not have been able to afford rent.

“With rent prices through the roof and unaffordable housing, how are people affording to live in the UK? Here in Thailand, the cost-of-living is a tenth of the price compared to the UK.”

Another factor contributing to Riyan’s departure from the UK was the increase in crime, as he expressed feeling constantly unsafe

“If you know London, there is so much knife crime and robbery. You don’t feel safe walking the streets and it is not getting any better. Here in Thailand, people will leave their keys and bags on their bikes. You don’t have to look behind you when you’re walking home at night and women will walk at night alone.”

Riyan mentioned that his parents were “supportive” of his decision to move, expressing his aspiration to bring them to Thailand and assist them in retiring.

“They were incredibly supportive of my decision, encouraging me to seize the opportunity. I would love to have my family here with me. My ultimate goal is to provide for my parents and help them retire. Achieving retirement in the UK is incredibly challenging.”

Having been in Thailand for two months, Riyan plans to explore the country before determining where to settle down.

“Thailand is vast, offering megacities, mountains, and stunning beaches. Currently, I’m travelling around to decide on my preferred location for settling down. I have a large group tour planned for April, so I’ll make my decision after that.”

IMG_9386-1.jpg
Picture courtesy of Riyan Ruparelia’s Facebook account

by Bob Scott

TOP Picture courtesy of Riyan Ruparelia’s Facebook account

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

Wow...how is this news. Obviously this guy has been in Thailand for less than 10 mins and never been anywhere else!

Plus its not like his name is Tom Smith so good on him.

21 hours ago, Screaming said:

It appears that his parents might have been immigrants to the UK. Now this dude is bad mouthing his hosting country. I bet that gold chain around his neck will not last to long if he keeps flashing it around.

His hairy face will frighten the ladyboys off. He would even make a fat bellied, big titted guy look like Elvis. 😄

Lol - soon to be seen begging at a train/bus station near you.

Can't afford to live in England on a minimum wage salary. 22 years old and been to Thailand 3 times already. Uh huh.

Now  has decided he's "had it" with the current gov't in the UK and is leaving the country permanently ? 

I say "<deleted>". 

You just kinda hope that a couple weeks from now, when his parents have to bail him out and pay to fly him home, that we'll see another story about how, in his grand wisdom, he's decided to give the jolly old UK "another chance" to prove him wrong (and please, please, please let him use the NHS urgently because he can't afford the hospital bills in Thailand and owes too many people too much money already).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

How do you know what his finances are about and why do you care? Seems some people are just too cynical and nosey for their own good. So what. Nobody owes YOU an explanation. It's his business, not yours. The authors are not your personal private investigators. Obviously he is resourceful and has the necessary resources, and if lacking in immediate resources and plans  he has the confidence that he can make things work. Same as I did ten years ago, not knowing how I would make my finances work but figuring everything out along the way. Tell me, are all you scousers as miserable and judgmental? I guess the Beatles and Gerry Marsden were the exception. Thank God for that. 

Its really the business of Thai immigration, income and job prospects are the least of his problems. It looks like he was 'influenced' by all those tossers on tik tok claiming you can give up your job, get a one way ticket and move to Thailand in your 20's. Not impossible, but very unlikely for a bloke like him, he will be gone in a few months