Govt questions ranking of Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang in ‘Worst Airport’ list by UK publisher

webfact

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Suvarnabhumi isn't that bad, but it was over-capacity when it opened and it is getting worse and worse.

They need to sort:

Immigration queues in and out (I use the priority lane as BOI company but it is the biggest concern imo).

Slow baggage delivery to the belts.

Poor maintenance of toilets and other facilities (including some lounges).

Buses to and from gates.

Traffic bottleneck outside the main terminal building.

Contrast that with KLIA and SIN who have just implemented auto-gates for foreigners now and Thailand is lagging behind in user experience. 

BKK and DMK are not that bad.  Used to fly out of Kabul, Baghdad and Kuwait City back in the 200’0’s and those earned worst airport ratings everyday.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Chai questioned the ranking by Business Financing on X and whether the UK publisher was universally recognized by the aviation industry in evaluating the airports’ quality.

Its a double edged sword I'm afraid. They can't go round quoting Farmers Weekly, or some other unknown magazine they pay to advertise in, ranking them the best either.

NOTE

Farmer Weekly does not rank airports. They probably rank Manure though, so I felt it appropriate to use that as a pretend source for ranking Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airports where, if their senior management were ranked as Manure, they would be in the top 3 at least..

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The UK KNOWS bad airports, we got several of them!

Maybe but not having to queue at immigration when leaving, is a far better way than Thailand.

Check in, get boarding card, pass security, go to gate, boarding card scanned, and board your plane. 

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Suvarnabhumi isn't that bad, but it was over-capacity when it opened and it is getting worse and worse.

They need to sort:

Immigration queues in and out (I use the priority lane as BOI company but it is the biggest concern imo).

Slow baggage delivery to the belts.

Poor maintenance of toilets and other facilities (including some lounges).

Buses to and from gates.

Traffic bottleneck outside the main terminal building.

Contrast that with KLIA and SIN who have just implemented auto-gates for foreigners now and Thailand is lagging behind in user experience. 

Immigration going out is completely unnecessary.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Enzian said:

Wouldn't he be smart to just ignore the whole thing, rather than getting people talking about it?

Both in top 10. That's not bad.

• Confused 1

A bit rich the Brits claiming that Thailand has the worst airports.

How about doing a survey in Thailand about who the Thais think are the worst tourists? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

we really don't like it when you tell us that we're not the center of the universe.

What do mean by that remark, oh yes we are, I should Sue you. :giggle:

• Haha 2

Can this report be labeled as slander?

And just who are these travel experts who go around imposing their personal judgement on everybody else. Best they didn't run this thread & we can all make-up our own minds.   

22 minutes ago, Goat said:

How about doing a survey in Thailand about who the Thais think are the worst tourists? 

Here we go again. You still bleating because your Mrs ran off with a Brit? You really need to get over it.

• Haha 2

Thats what happens if you take away the smoking lounges from smoking journalists lol, no wonder noi bai airport is best, you can have beers on top. Also its cheap.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

15 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Here we go again. You still bleating because your Mrs ran off with a Brit? You really need to get over it.

You sound a bit oversensitive mate.

As if you knew what the results of the survey would be? 

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

BKK and DMK are not that bad.  Used to fly out of Kabul, Baghdad and Kuwait City back in the 200’0’s and those earned worst airport ratings everyday.

Man, you were lucky to have made it out of those places alive. Never mind their airports. Lol. 

But seriously, I agree that the 2 Bangkok airports are not THAT bad. But, there are several things to improve of course, as many posters mentioned in this thread. 

1 hour ago, captnhoy said:

hereby invite Mr. Chai Watcharong to arrive at the very lowest level at Suvarnabhumi with a full bladder. Only to discover there are no toilet facilities on that entire floor. I wonder how he would rate the airport then.

I believe that if you go to the lowest level and walk through the tunnel leading to magic village street food you will pass male and female toilets, just descend around the middle of the airport and you will have to pass through the tunnel.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The UK KNOWS bad airports, we got several of them!

Really! Internal airports are not that bad in the uk until strikes occur, then they are Hell. However, you do get support and compensation unlike !!!

I’m at Suvanaphumi right now, waiting for a flight back to Australia. 5 minute wait at security, 4 minute wait at Immigration. Huge choice of food, Subway and Dairy Queen extra large Blizzard my favourites, and way cheaper than at an Australian airport. One of the world’s best airports in my opinion, only Singapore’s Changi is better thanks to its huge array of free attractions.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I’m at Suvanaphumi right now, waiting for a flight back to Australia. 5 minute wait at security, 4 minute wait at Immigration. Huge choice of food, Subway and Dairy Queen extra large Blizzard my favourites, and way cheaper than at an Australian airport. One of the world’s best airports in my opinion, only Singapore’s Changi is better thanks to its huge array of free attractions.

You must be there at an off peak time ? Very quick but how was the security check ? I to have no problem with the Bangkok airports too . Accept that they did away with the smoking room .

Just now, superal said:

You must be there at an off peak time ? Very quick but how was the security check ? I to have no problem with the Bangkok airports too . Accept that they did away with the smoking room .

Arrived just before 2pm for 6pm flight (I’m paranoid about arriving early at airports). Normal security check, less than 5 minutes in tiny queue. Don’t know about the smoking room, but the observation deck was disappointing, just indoors with poor view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Immigration going out is completely unnecessary.  

I suppose they are trying to catch the over stayers ? Immigration on arrival , yes but departures ? I don't recall other airports having departure immigration , do you ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

I agree . Have you ever arrived at Heathrow and faced massive queues at immigration . 3 years ago there was a report of 7 hours to get through Heathrow immigration .

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Arrived just before 2pm for 6pm flight (I’m paranoid about arriving early at airports). Normal security check, less than 5 minutes in tiny queue. Don’t know about the smoking room, but the observation deck was disappointing, just indoors with poor view.

Let's face it , sometimes arriving 3 hours early is hardly enough . I always arrive early and wait for the check in desk to open , clear security and have a snack and a beer . Suvarnabhumi also often  has the long queues at immigration to content with . Hope you have a good flight 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WHansen said:

The truth hurts

Of course it does, what on earth makes anyone think it is the truth.

I came out through Noi Bai 2 days ago and the queues were horrendous. They have security after passport control and the people coming through passport control couldn't get to the end of the queue for security. nearly 2 hours from arrival to departure lounge.

On saying that entry was quite smooth, maybe passengers leaving don't bother to complain.

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

However, you do get support and compensation unlike !!!

Only because the UK used to be in the UK, would never have happened otherwise.

Didn't the government promise to get rid of all EU laws, probably meant only the ones that doesn't suit them.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Perfect answer, this survey would have been forgotten in a week, but by the government questioning how valid it is, just brings in back into the spotlight and can only bring more bad PR.

I did some googling, can't find specific organization called 'Business Financing' in any country.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nothing wrong with Suvarnabhumi, in fact, I'd say it's up there among the least confusing, easiest and quickest to find your way around airports I've been to. Though, immigration queues can be a pain at times. 

• Like 1

all a bit rich from a country that has produced the likes of Heathrow Gatwick Luton Stanstead Manchester .... to name just a few ..... Heathrow quite possible the worst airport imaginable 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I did some googling, can't find specific organization called 'Business Financing' in any country.  

Believe this is the site.

BusinessFinancing.co.uk.