Does it make sense to be a condominium committee member?

In my condominium they are looking for new committee members. It seems few people are interested.

We have currently a few Thai people and a few farangs in the committee.

Does it make sense to become a member?

If I would do it, then for the reason to actually improve the building and regulations in the building.

I am not interested in "commissions", and I am not a control freak.

As an outsider, listening to the committee in meetings, it seems they are not efficient. Not the question is, do I criticize them from outside for all the things which they don't do or don't do good enough? Or do I become a member and be part of the problem?

Are you a committee member? What is your experience?

• Like 2

Absolutely not unless you’re a glutton for punishment.

Look at the difference of opinion here.  Now you have actually see them in person if you join the board.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Dad was on one in a Florida condo.  He later said it was one of the worst mistakes of his life. 

He died of ALS 6 years after and strongly believed that stress from being on the condo board contributed to his condition.

You end up being hated by everybody.  You can't walk to your car without some disgruntled owner chasing you down and haranguing on and on

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Absolutely not unless you’re a glutton for punishment.

Look at the difference of opinion here.  Now you have actually see them in person if you join the board.

Perhaps others have more ball's than you....🙄

If I lived in a condo I probably would get involved, just to see what's going on, plus you can put your ideas forward that maybe beneficial to myself......😋 

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In my condominium they are looking for new committee members. It seems few people are interested.

If I would do it, then for the reason to actually improve the building and regulations in the building.

As an outsider, listening to the committee in meetings, it seems they are not efficient. Not the question is, do I criticize them from outside for all the things which they don't do or don't do good enough? Or do I become a member and be part of the problem?

I am not a committee member so not best placed to comment.

Do you feel you could make a difference? Do you actually want to make a difference?

Are there major problems you want to or could fix?

If none of the above you could be opening yourself up to a whole world of pain.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, bob smith said:

so?

i can still go to committee meetings inebriated.

bob.

I absolutely love your pragmatism Bob. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps others have more ball's than you....🙄

If I lived in a condo I probably would get involved, just to see what's going on, plus you can put your ideas forward that maybe beneficial to myself......😋 

Not a matter of balls but sense.

”If” doesn’t count in fan room.

Am sure your opinion would be greatly looked forward to.

Edited by G_Money

1 minute ago, G_Money said:

Not a matter of balls but sense.

”If” doesn’t count in fan room.

Can I be quite clear, I don't take much notice of your input......Sorry...🤔

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I criticize them from outside for all the things which they don't do or don't do good enough? Or do I become a member and be part of the problem?

Other better options. 

Why do you only suggest two negative choices?

17 minutes ago, G_Money said:

Pity

Many years ago, probably 35, my mother started a residence association at a development of probably 72 flats because they were not getting much luck getting things done by the owners.

She achieved quite a lot with the committee and getting the borough council involved.

So, you get what you fight for, in her case, perseverance.....:clap2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Many years ago, probably 35, my mother started a residence association at a development of probably 72 flats because they were not getting much luck getting things done by the owners.

She achieved quite a lot with the committee and getting the borough council involved.

So, you get what you fight for, in her case, perseverance.....:clap2:

Sounds like she’s a good person.  Must have a great deal of patience.

At this point in my life I would not want to deal with any committee.  But then I try to choose where I live wisely.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes you should. My last career was a Director of Facilities at a resort condo in the USA. Some one needs to be the positive voice , eyes and ears for the owners that don't know whats going on and you get to help have some control over the condition of the build which affects your property

• Haha 1

Thanks for all your comments.

If I knew my membership would make things better, then I would probably join.

But it seems some things, maybe many things, just don't work the way I would hope they work.

I.e. we have problems with Airbnb. In the meeting of all owners, I and other people brought that up a couple of times. And we hear things like: "We should study the situation." And months later, basically the same "answer".

It seems to me some people in the committee are part of the problem and they don't want to solve this problem because they like the way it is and probably they profit from that. But they don't openly admit that. They just find stupid excuses like "we have to think about it" and then nothing happens. I am sure it would be frustrating to fight against that. And it would be even worse when those who block things are well connected people with lots of money... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Don't become a member if, as you say, you think you will become 'part of the problem'.  instead, become a member if you think you will become part of the solution.  Not an easy choice to run for a condo board.  It could be an easier choice if you know some other resident-owners with views similar to yours who might also be talked into serving--together as new blood you might be able to make some changes, especially if you can get the farang members already on the board to work with you, as well. 

Also helpful to have some resident-owners not on the board backing you up if you become a board member.  You might consider starting, if you don't already have one, a Line group of condo owner-residents as a good way to keep in communication and exchange information on condo issues.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all your comments.

If I knew my membership would make things better, then I would probably join.

But it seems some things, maybe many things, just don't work the way I would hope they work.

I.e. we have problems with Airbnb. In the meeting of all owners, I and other people brought that up a couple of times. And we hear things like: "We should study the situation." And months later, basically the same "answer".

It seems to me some people in the committee are part of the problem and they don't want to solve this problem because they like the way it is and probably they profit from that. But they don't openly admit that. They just find stupid excuses like "we have to think about it" and then nothing happens. I am sure it would be frustrating to fight against that. And it would be even worse when those who block things are well connected people with lots of money... 

It does make sense and it's important for farang to be on the committee, but you can't change things overnight, feel the water, slowly slowly catchy a monkey.

In my place if you disagree with the Juristic person / who has a controlling interest you will be kicked off at the next opportunity. It's the same as work, need to get people onboard 

• Agree 1

I was a committee member of a rather large condominium in Bkk, and a vocal one at that,

until i got a bullet in my mail-box, do i need to continue?...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wifes  condo has  full height curved windows  all round many rooms have this, the windows were filthy and whats the point having a  good  view thru dirty windows. She  suggested they were cleaned but most  owners  dont want to pay for it. Result they never get cleaned, in the end  we  paid for spiderman to clean ours.

Point being many Thais dont  care  about  what you  might.

Another thing was  no  rubbish bins, Thai reasoning , dont  look  good but  crap blowing everywhere, no problem.

llroom (5).jpg

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I was a committee member of a rather large condominium in Bkk, and a vocal one at that,

until i got a bullet in my mail-box, do i need to continue?...

yes, what didnt  they  like?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

In my place if you disagree with the Juristic person / who has a controlling interest you will be kicked off at the next opportunity. 

How pathetic  are they!!

7 hours ago, WhatMeWorry said:

I would encourage you to join your condo committee but be aware that the Thai members will not take you seriously. The Thais are so cheap, they do not want to maintain their buildings. All they are concerned about is keeping the maintenance fee down and collecting their rent money.

Correct, keeping the building looking  good is  irrelevant to them, the fact it  might make their properties  easier to sell and at a higher price  is  irrelevant, only "today"  matters  to them.

@OneMoreFarang This is a good question and I may possibly be asking myself the same in a year or two.

I'm on one other (non-property-management) committee now and have been on others previously (both property related & outside that scope) so this is something that I would encourage you to join if:

1. You have the time & patience.
  2. You feel that you have something to contribute.
  3. You're not about to join a fragment, polarised and/or dysfunctional group that focuses more on personalities than outcomes.

As for #3 I wholly endorse @newnative's comments. Sound out some of the existing board members and get on board with the ones that you can find common ground. They might be feeling drowned out right now and would welcome a supporting voice. Just be careful not to get too aligned with any single faction. A lot of committees can become very political and rational people cease to be that when given a small amount of power.

As for @ezzra, I do hope that at the very least the local police & committee members were immediately aware of the threat/s. 99.9% chance that nothing will happen, but if it does then they already have a hot lead. Also, if the mailbox area in the building doesn't already have 24/7 CCTV coverage I would make sure that happens. Even if I made that my final-ever motion on the committee.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

yes, what didnt  they  like?

Mostly Thai condominiums owners views foreigners owners as nothing more than guests ' in their country

and in their place of living in particular, and every attempt to ask 'too many questions' are met with resistant 

and disdain like 'who are you to ask those questions and complain about the methods of doing/running things

the Thai way'?...