Two New Zealand Men Arrested in Phuket for Alleged Brutal Assault on Traffic Cop

webfact

2 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

that's why i think there might be more to this story... 

Drugs maybe. Standard traffic check to this. Just crazy.

2 hours ago, Dolf said:

Enlighten me

I listed them, and I have better things to do with my time than encourage an online troll with plenty of time on his hands.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah... I can see that happening too.... 

my Brother in law tried to run from the BiB at a check point (I think he'd seen the check point up ahead so he did a U-turn 100m before it, so they gave chase) when they caught up with him, he stopped and they gave him a bit of a kicking. 

So... As you mention, I too can see the scenario where the Policeman was angry and drew his weapon. 

Perhaps thats when there was a miss-fire (gun not secure, round in chamber no safety on). 

NZ scared for their lives needed to react and subdue the police who they thought was going to shoot them.

Plenty of possibilities in this story -  I wonder if we'll get to hear the side of the NZ guys. 

Hard to say without video of the start of the incident and the firing of the shot. The cop said he pulled his phone on them and started filming which peed them off and they grabbed his phone. Who knows if he pulled his gun on them immediately or they assaulted him first.  If they were angry and abusive, he may have pulled his gun, feeling threatened by two big farang blokes he knew could overpower him quite easily, as they did.

I couldn't make out what type of gun it was but it looks like a hammer fired pistol, not a striker fired pistol like a Glock which doesn't have a safety. A hammer fired pistol has a safety but a cop would definitely keep a round in chamber.  Most likely it was something like a Sig Sauer or similar double action/single action model.  You would carry this on half cock with a round in the chamber and safety on.  It requires a long pull on the first shot to make it a bit safer but the subsequent shots go off with a shot pull.  If he had a safety, the cop may have flicked it off as he drew it. It may also have been a striker fired Sig Sauer like the huge order the police bought a few years ago which has no safety but requires a long trigger pull on each shot.  Anyway it is quite easy to see how a shot was fired given that cops carry a round in the chamber, as they do in the US and most other countries.  The only country I know of where you are not allowed to carry a pistol with a round in the chamber is Israel.  Even their sky marshalls have to rack the slide before opening fire with their .22 pistols (to reduce risk of damage to the plane).

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I listed them, and I have better things to do with my time than encourage an online troll with plenty of time on his hands.

Off topic anyway.

2 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

that's why i think there might be more to this story... 

The only one explanation I can think of: they did not know he was a policeman. Just some weirdo guy in the Thai national costume and with a gun. Don’t think the judge will buy this, though.

• Haha 1

The only thing I believe is that are locked up for many years at lest.No comeback or saying sorry for what happened.Deported after a time in prison with a lifetime ban.These are the sort of things that you should never do in thailand

3 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

The only thing I believe is that are locked up for many years at lest.No comeback or saying sorry for what happened.Deported after a time in prison with a lifetime ban.These are the sort of things that you should never do in thailand

It wouldnt be a good idea to do it in any Country

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

is there really such a thing as a "fine weapon"  personally i find them all revolting

Well being a pussy when the time comes for revolting we will give you a pocket full of rocks.

Good luck.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Olmate said:

Ask Aussie cops how the kiwis behave in Oz. Sameway these two pigheaded 'bros' did. Never known a kiwi in Oz to respect anylaws and I know and have worked with plenty of them.My youngest son unfortunately partnered a kiwi 'thing', absolute nightmare, he,s lucky to be alive.

The average Kiwi respects the law and police officers. New Zealand also has the most honest police force in the world.

You cannot say this about the Australian corrupt police.

These two Kiwi's were so stupid to the point of almost being unbelievable.

They will pay a high penalty

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, renaissanc said:

Giving them 5 years in a Thai jail would be suitable I think.

Or more.  But let's keep in mind on the other side of the coin we have an ex PM, convicted for serious / proven offences and a Thai man jailed in australia for serious / proven drug offences. Both have miracouolusly ended up free.  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I'm not normally one of the grammar police, but shouldn't you have used the plural "pussies"  it fits the rest of the attempted insult much more appropriately  

interesting use of the word "we"     presumably referring to your fellow geriatric keyboard warriors,  (AKA pussies)  whose contribution to any uprising would be limited to posting a few sad faced emojis on a website like this,  in between bouts of incontinence, and before your afternoon nap of course,   Although in the case of a revolution I imagine the internet will be shut down , along with the day room so that will be a double whammy for you to contend with

No fella I stated "pussy" because I was referring to you specifically. 

I just vomited a little in my mouth whilst reading your pathetic retort.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, ryandb said:

Is there photos of them fleeing? evidence of the Road Traffic Offenses outside of the police statement of this right now? 

I've only seen video of them restraining the cop, I'm sure there will be some eye witness statements appear in time but right now there is no evidence of what the police stated happened before the video

I'm not that familiar with the culture in New Zealand, so it's normal to restrain the police when they stop you in New Zealand?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Please give the Kiwis some meaningful time in the Bangkok Hilton ....barbwire hotel... before 

throwing their sorry asses out of Thailand. Should the lads try such a stunt in the USA

they would most likely be shot dead on the spot by another cop or by a concerned citizen LEGALLY

carrying a firearm who came the officer's aid. How do I know this? That is information you don't really need

to know. Just take my word for it. 

In general, the police in Thailand are much more temperate in dealing with many situations than their counterparts in the USA would be. A few months back, the Chinese guy swinging his skateboard at officers

in the airport would have been hit with a tazzer in the first 5 minutes if not sooner.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, sherwood said:

No fella I stated "pussy" because I was referring to you specifically. 

I just vomited a little in my mouth whilst reading your pathetic retort.

Ah age related digestive issues, very common,  you should ask the day nurse to feed you only bland food.  "Khao  Tom" is ideal for your sort, but make sure to consume it with some bread and butter, and wash it down with some milky tea.  You could ask matron tonight when she is tucking you into your adult pampers  before lights out  or is it too late for that ? it is 8:30 pm after all. 

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Ah age related digestive issues, very common,  you should ask the day nurse to feed you only bland food.  "Khao  Tom" is ideal for your sort, but make sure to consume it with some bread and butter, and wash it down with some milky tea.  You could ask matron tonight when she is tucking you into your adult pampers  before lights out  or is it too late for that ? it is 8:30 pm after all. 

Goodnight Mister Ed.

Quickest mind in the known universe.

Love your work

5 minutes ago, sherwood said:

Goodnight Mister Ed.

Quickest mind in the known universe.

Love your work

not quite sure what you problem is , you attempted to insult me with no provocation and then got upset when I responded.  I'm guessing your adult diaper needs changing or you have run out of "werther's originals"  either way  you had better rest now  ,we  wouldn't want to over do things would we?

21 pages, but nobody know what really happened yet.
Most of the replies to the OP are from the "Hang 'em high" league, while EVERY FOREIGNER is seen as a "Bad Apple" now and every Thai looking for a way to discredit you now.
Yes, it can be your turn to make the Newspaper headers tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

21 pages, but nobody know what really happened yet.
Most of the replies to the OP are from the "Hang 'em high" league, while EVERY FOREIGNER is seen as a "Bad Apple" now and every Thai looking for a way to discredit you now.
Yes, it can be your turn to make the Newspaper headers tomorrow

Calm down. There are countless numbers of farangs who either live here permanently or visit for tourism,  family, etc.

The vast majority never have a problem with police or anyone else.

They've passed the exam Thailand 101 which requires students to know the basics about life in Thailand.

Unfortunately some foreigners fail the exam due to ignorance and illiteracy 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats what I'm also thinking...   

.... either the NZ guy is a complete lunatic and because he's insane attacked the policeman because he didn't like being chased and charged. 

OR... 

.... the Policeman drew the gun and NZ guy thought the Policeman was going to shoot him, perhaps a miss-fire had already occurred which made NZ guy even more concerned that the Policeman was going to shoot them so he decided to 'fight for his life' and subdue the Policeman and make the gun safe. 

I'n the video I don't see the NZ guy attacking the policeman.... I see him getting control of the gun and making it safe. 

How much of a reason would he have needed ??   Angry because the NZ guys wouldn't stop ?? is that enough of a reason to pull a gun ?

Never (first hand), but I've read of plenty of stories on here of Policemen shooting at people in car and bike chases etc..  

Never (first hand), but I've read of plenty of stories >>> just keep it at THAT! STORIES!

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats what I'm also thinking...   

.... either the NZ guy is a complete lunatic and because he's insane attacked the policeman because he didn't like being chased and charged. 

OR... 

.... the Policeman drew the gun and NZ guy thought the Policeman was going to shoot him, perhaps a miss-fire had already occurred which made NZ guy even more concerned that the Policeman was going to shoot them so he decided to 'fight for his life' and subdue the Policeman and make the gun safe. 

I'n the video I don't see the NZ guy attacking the policeman.... I see him getting control of the gun and making it safe. 

How much of a reason would he have needed ??   Angry because the NZ guys wouldn't stop ?? is that enough of a reason to pull a gun ?

Never (first hand), but I've read of plenty of stories on here of Policemen shooting at people in car and bike chases etc..  

How much of a reason would he have needed ??   Angry because the NZ guys wouldn't stop ?? is that enough of a reason to pull a gun ?

He did NOT shoot.

Well in the US what would have been the result IF a Thai guy did that to a US cop?

You expect the Thai cops to ignore the farang antics and say boys will be boys... lets wait for the next joker?

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are plenty of news reports of rogue police officers and military officers pulling guns on people... 

Here's one example from todays news....  Military officers pulls a gun during a road rage incident. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1322594-thai-military-officer’s-road-rage-prompts-armed-forces-investigation/

The reality is those in positions to carry weapons also carry the same degree of emotional maturity as many other Thai men we criticise on a daily basis on this forum - its not at all unrealistic to picture the Police Officer pulling the gun on the two NZ guys because he was so angry they didn't stop. 

IF you think the Police here are a measure of professional responsibility then the only comment left for you is.. when are you planning your first visit.  

rogue police officers ....

They are all over! Have you ever heard of a cop kneeling on the neck of an unarmed man and killing him? Thats ok by you?

'Saving face' game is inherent in the human genes - you agree with me?

Just now, ravip said:

How much of a reason would he have needed ??   Angry because the NZ guys wouldn't stop ?? is that enough of a reason to pull a gun ?

He did NOT shoot.

You don't know that... (some one shot - that was reported).

You only know what you have read in the media which has been fed information from one side of this only. 

Have you read anywhere of any statement made by the NZ men ?...   we have on side of the story.

Just now, ravip said:

Well in the US what would have been the result IF a Thai guy did that to a US cop?

Erm...   we're not in the US - pointless comment.

Just now, ravip said:

You expect the Thai cops to ignore the farang antics and say boys will be boys... lets wait for the next joker?

I expect nothing.. But I am cynical that the information provided to the media paints the Policeman as the victim...  maybe he was, or maybe we are not getting the full story and people like you are lapping up exactly what the media feeds you because you are naive and gullible. 

I doubt its going to happen, but I'd like to see a statement from the NZ guys - see what their input is to all this. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ravip said:

rogue police officers ....

They are all over! Have you ever heard of a cop kneeling on the neck of an unarmed man and killing him? Thats ok by you?

'Saving face' game is inherent in the human genes - you agree with me?

Yep.. I agree with you...  which is why I suspect we're not getting the true story... 

... The BiB have fed the media their line and the media are going with that story...   

Do I believe the story the media are giving us is accurate ? Nope.. I don't....   there is some saving face going on along with bias reporting IMO. 

I could be wrong of course and events are as reported - but there still seems too much oddity with scenario as it has currently been painted. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You don't know that... (some one shot - that was reported).

You only know what you have read in the media which has been fed information from one side of this only. 

Have you read anywhere of any statement made by the NZ men ?...   we have on side of the story.

I expect nothing.. But I am cynical that the information provided to the media paints the Policeman as the victim...  maybe he was, or maybe we are not getting the full story and people like you are lapping up exactly what the media feeds you because you are naive and gullible. 

I doubt its going to happen, but I'd like to see a statement from the NZ guys - see what their input is to all this. 

Do not segregate humans - US, Europe or Timbuktu - all are humans and behavior is common... more or less... just like fighting tooth and nail for  saving face.