Why do Phuket locals seem to really dislike Foreigners?

bob smith

A couple of things:

Phuket is an Island that attracts a massive number of tourists from all over the planet. About the same size as Singapore, it is always listed in the top 20 most visited places in the world. Pre-covid 9m visited in a year. This translates to overcrowding, clogged roads and an influx of all types of humanity, many of the worst kind. Criminals gather where the easy money is

The government's love affair, and open armed welcome, for citizens from various despotic countries means that many who come have different moral values than many Thais.  Local govt incompetency in planning and implementing solutions, add to the overcrowding. 

In 10 years living there I met very few born and bred Phukeians.

Most of the "locals" come from all over the country because of the available and lucrative work opportunities. Many Thais from any Province have a low tolerance for boorish behavior by visitors when the money stops flowing.

• Agree 1

Isn't Phuket run by the Muslim mafia, or is this just an urban myth? Maybe that has something to do with attitudes towards foreigners, or maybe not.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Thailand has always been ANTI-Foreigner.
I remember when I came first to Korat, on a day begin December, I was going to send the "Season Greetings" cards to my family and friends abroad.
At the Post Office, I took a queu number and lined up with the queu.
Suddenly a Thai woman came into the Post Office and skipped the queu right in front of me.
She stated to shout loudly that I was a filthy foreigner and I had to let Thai people go first.
You are here in MY country and you should respect Thai people.
The officers at the Post Office took the woman outside and warned her to not comeback to THEIR office.
But nonetheless, the message was clear.

Yes... the message was very clear... 

The message is that Thai's will not tolerate racism and bigotry from other Thai's...   

Its strange that your take away from this even was to cement the idea that Thailand has always been Foreigner, when you present an example of Thai's standing up against a single racist Thai.

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

When was that?  My parents had some richy-rich friends who bragged about going to Club Med all the way from US to Thailand that would have been very late 70’s or maybe 80-81. I been to Kata once my ol’ buddy there said you’re 20 years late. He said he used to play basketball at Club Med there even though he stayed in some bungalow up the hill. 

Club Meds 30 year lease expired a few years ago. So cant only be there since about the 90s. Unless that was the 2nd 30 year lease ??

19 hours ago, bob smith said:

it seems that Phuket people have a real dislike towards farangs.

I have spent quite a bit of time there in the past and the animosity from the locals was striking!

There is a specific facebook gorup based in Phuket that advocates discrimination and even violence against farang.

I wont mention the name, but if you are in the know then you know!

what is it with Phuket specifically? why do the locals seem to have a deep dislike for farangs?

BKK, Patts, CNX, even Samui doesnt seem to have this level of distaste for the holidaymaker.

considering Phuket is an island that is based on tourism and needs the tourist dollar to survive - you would think the locals would be happy about them being there,

especially after the pandemic when many phuket locals were out of work.

what's it all about?

bob.

"considering Phuket is an island that is based on tourism and needs the tourist dollar to survive - you would think the locals would be happy about them being there,"

You reveal your  "you'd think they'd be happy to have us" attitude, like they owe you a debt of gratitude just for your being there. That attitude is not welcome here. Maybe it's YOU. Did you consider that maybe they just don't like YOU or some other attitude you display? I don't experience anything of the sort when I go there, and I've been going once a year for 9 years. Covid changed the tone of things, but I don't take any of that personally. I HAVE experienced anti foreigner sentiment in some places, very rarely, but I don't take it as some big injustice. I can understand it on a human level, it happens in every country and has only gotten worse in the west. And your citing of facebook is really meaningless, there are forums for everything from the flat earth society to cannibalism. That said, I suspect your ability to interpret subtle intercultural social interactions is somewhat lacking. But by all means do try, I'll give you credit for that. Just don't presume you will ever really understand Thai culture. 

Edited by Jonathan Swift
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes... the message was very clear... 

The message is that Thai's will not tolerate racism and bigotry from other Thai's...   

Its strange that your take away from this even was to cement the idea that Thailand has always been Foreigner, when you present an example of Thai's standing up against a single racist Thai.

The main difference was that the woman was a simple citizen, maybe a farmer, with no school background.

The post office employee was a state official who had at least an university degree and took care of his customers.

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Thailand has always been ANTI-Foreigner.
I remember when I came first to Korat, on a day begin December, I was going to send the "Season Greetings" cards to my family and friends abroad.
At the Post Office, I took a queu number and lined up with the queu.
Suddenly a Thai woman came into the Post Office and skipped the queu right in front of me.
She stated to shout loudly that I was a filthy foreigner and I had to let Thai people go first.
You are here in MY country and you should respect Thai people.
The officers at the Post Office took the woman outside and warned her to not comeback to THEIR office.
But nonetheless, the message was clear.

+1 

I encountered a similar situation a few months ago. I had joined a lengthy queue to purchase some Khao Moo Krab,  I'd been in line for about 10 minutes when it dawned on me: I didn't have any cash. I needed to dash to the nearby ATM quickly. I politely asked a younger Thai guy I had been chatting with in line if they could save my spot. Upon returning from the ATM, I attempted to reclaim my original position. However, an older Thai gentleman began to protest loudly, insisting I couldn't bypass the queue in such a manner. I tried explaining that I had merely stepped away for a moment to withdraw cash, having already waited my turn. He remained unyielding, growing increasingly hostile while proclaiming I must adhere to Thai culture and that i'm not in my country anymore . Surprisingly, he escalated the situation by questioning my immigration status, demanding to see my work permit and passport. His outburst only served to undermine his position, as he came across as rather unreasonable to the onlookers.

20 hours ago, bob smith said:

it seems that Phuket people have a real dislike towards farangs.

I have spent quite a bit of time there in the past and the animosity from the locals was striking!

There is a specific facebook gorup based in Phuket that advocates discrimination and even violence against farang.

I wont mention the name, but if you are in the know then you know!

what is it with Phuket specifically? why do the locals seem to have a deep dislike for farangs?

BKK, Patts, CNX, even Samui doesnt seem to have this level of distaste for the holidaymaker.

considering Phuket is an island that is based on tourism and needs the tourist dollar to survive - you would think the locals would be happy about them being there,

especially after the pandemic when many phuket locals were out of work.

what's it all about?

bob.

The locals in Phuket seems to dislike "bag farang guys" – so to the locals here on Samui...:whistling:

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The locals in Phuket seems to dislike "bag farang guys" – so to the locals here on Samui...:whistling:

"Bag farang guys"?

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

I have spent 20 years here and have never noticed any animosity from the locals.

Maybe it's you.

No, you're just so special🤣🤣.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Marin , Please try to understand not, everyone likes everything you do .

I know you love Phuket and you mentioned about cookies etc but not every one does 

Everyone is different and we try to lead a healthy lifestyle away from smoking but if you wish to try up to you 

What the heck are you talking about? I mentioned nothing about what you are spouting. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, bob smith said:

I am looking for the reason why many people that reside in Phuket have a deep resentment towards the hand that feeds them..

bob.

And what will you do if you find that reason?

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

A couple of things:

Phuket is an Island that attracts a massive number of tourists from all over the planet. About the same size as Singapore, it is always listed in the top 20 most visited places in the world. Pre-covid 9m visited in a year. This translates to overcrowding, clogged roads and an influx of all types of humanity, many of the worst kind. Criminals gather where the easy money is

The government's love affair, and open armed welcome, for citizens from various despotic countries means that many who come have different moral values than many Thais.  Local govt incompetency in planning and implementing solutions, add to the overcrowding. 

Most of the "locals" come from all over the country because of the available and lucrative work opportunities. Many Thais from any Province have a low tolerance for boorish behavior by visitors when the money stops flowing.

come to Kamala or go to Thalang, 
90% of the thais living here were born and raised here going back generations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ms Tigger said:

Taking a look at the recent news, in which foreigners have absolutely not covered themselves in glory, might give you a tiny clue. Add to that the influx of Russians, who seem to have the social skills of a grumpy, ignorant rhino with haemorrhoids, constipation and a superiority complex, and you probably have your answer.

What a wonderful response.

Thank you for brightening my day and giving me a good laugh.

7 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

"considering Phuket is an island that is based on tourism and needs the tourist dollar to survive - you would think the locals would be happy about them being there,"

You reveal your  "you'd think they'd be happy to have us" attitude, like they owe you a debt of gratitude just for your being there. That attitude is not welcome here. Maybe it's YOU. Did you consider that maybe they just don't like YOU or some other attitude you display? I don't experience anything of the sort when I go there, and I've been going once a year for 9 years. Covid changed the tone of things, but I don't take any of that personally. I HAVE experienced anti foreigner sentiment in some places, very rarely, but I don't take it as some big injustice. I can understand it on a human level, it happens in every country and has only gotten worse in the west. And your citing of facebook is really meaningless, there are forums for everything from the flat earth society to cannibalism. That said, I suspect your ability to interpret subtle intercultural social interactions is somewhat lacking. But by all means do try, I'll give you credit for that. Just don't presume you will ever really understand Thai culture. 

Kind of like Hawaii? The most hostile "anti-foreigner" (Mainlander) place I have ever worked or visited.

Especially Maui. 40-50 years ago was a remote agricultural  island lifestyle.

You could write a thesis about the economic distortions caused by tourism and fly-in wealth but I don't think Phuket locals are leaving the island to move to Bangkok because they simply cannot afford to live there anymore.

15 hours ago, bob smith said:

hmm.. not sure malaysian's hit the bars, restaurants, pubs and clubs in the same way that farangs do?

bob.

Always have done. Hat Yai was a rollicking town in the early 80's with soapies everywhere. I had my first soapy experience there.

13 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Both good places to drive through when going elsewhere. I've spent little time in them, and I was recounting my experience.

But you have a point, some Muslim communities have local roots going back hundreds of years.

(When quoting please don't alter the tone of my post by highlighting one line to emphasize it beyond my major points)

• Confused 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:01 PM, zzzzz said:

ZZZZ, Let’s keep wonderful Kamala our little secret. 

Best to encourage outsiders to go elsewhere.

• Haha 1

The government wanted tens of thousands of tourists and many have chosen Pattaya or Phuket.They made there bed so they now have to except that it just may have all been a big mistake.Safety should always come first.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 7:41 PM, bob smith said:

I am looking for the reason why many people that reside in Phuket have a deep resentment towards the hand that feeds them..

bob.

Because people just want more and more. The more money you give them, the more unsatisfied they become, because the rush of being paid well wears off. The only way to keep them happy is to keep paying more and above what you are currently paying.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 11:55 AM, Old Croc said:

A couple of things:

Phuket is a province and phuket island is .... an island in the province

Edited by zzzzz

On 3/18/2024 at 6:47 PM, bob smith said:

Phuket is an island that is based on tourism and needs the tourist dollar to survive

Probably exactly this.  Possibly those affected feel some sort of inferiority or superiority complex that is triggered by having to rely on foreigners for their existence.

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Probably exactly this.  Possibly those affected feel some sort of inferiority or superiority complex that is triggered by having to rely on foreigners for their existence.

There is a simple solution to that problem - DON'T rely on them.

plenty farms around the country need mango/durian pickers.

bob.

I lived on Samui for nearly a decade and I felt like many of the locals did not like us much. I think one of the sad aspects of living in a tourist area is that the locals simply get jaded, they have to put up with a lot of numskulls and some of them tend to lump us all into one category.

It's one of the reasons why I'll never live in a tourist area again. 

On 3/19/2024 at 9:54 PM, Captain Monday said:

Kind of like Hawaii? The most hostile "anti-foreigner" (Mainlander) place I have ever worked or visited.

Especially Maui. 40-50 years ago was a remote agricultural  island lifestyle.

You could write a thesis about the economic distortions caused by tourism and fly-in wealth but I don't think Phuket locals are leaving the island to move to Bangkok because they simply cannot afford to live there anymore.

Hawaii is infinitely worse than Phuket, I totally agree with you. The people in Hawaii are not warm at all, they do not like the white man. There are just a lot of people on Phuket that are jaded and they have to deal with these foreigners all day, everyday, and unfortunately some of the people that they deal with are not the best example of what we have to offer. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Hawaii is infinitely worse than Phuket, I totally agree with you. The people in Hawaii are not warm at all, they do not like the white man. There are just a lot of people on Phuket that are jaded and they have to deal with these foreigners all day, everyday, and unfortunately some of the people that they deal with are not the best example of what we have to offer. 

They don't have to deal with them at all.

If they don't like working with tourists then go work on the farm or in a factory.

problem solved.

bob.

10 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Phuket is a province and phuket island is .... an island in the province

Argumentative and a pointless inane statement.

Phuket is a city, an Island and a Province that includes several smaller, surrounding islands.

Have you even noticed you repeated my description of Phuket Island while seemingly trying to invent an error in my words?

• Agree 1