I have enjoyed my time in Thailand, but...

10 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I hear what you're saying and agree 100 percent. 

I left Thailand about 5 years ago because of quite a few factors.  I had a retirement visa although not getting a pension at that stage. 

Returning to NZ where rentals are fakn ridiculous and working an average of 60hrs a week did not leave much time to do anything else. 

My Thai partner also came with me to NZ.  She worked a standard 40hr week.  She did day shift and I was a Supervisor on night shift. 

You'd think we would be rolling in the money... Not with the cost of living in NZ.  I was on about NZ$1200 (US$800) after tax.  The missus was a lot less. 

We daren't ever think about going out to a pub for a few drinks.  Our big event was maybe travelling 45km to have a meal in a genuine Thai restaurant.  Nice food but at 4x the price compared to Thailand. 

After 5 years of the constant grind at work, I'd had enough. My Army pension kicked in... Which incidentally is a fakn lot less that Joe public gets.  But it was enough to decide to get the fak out of Dodge and return to Thailand. 

Only been back 4 months and although it's not the best, it's easier to survive here without busting your gut. 

I'm still looking at truck driving in Perth for some extra shekels. 

So the grass is not always greener.... 

The cream jobs in WA truck driving used to be in the mines, most of the vehicles are remotely controlled now.

How much were you paying per week to rent in NZ? In Australia, it is north of $500 a week for a VERY average house.

I have a much better standard of living in Thailand than I could hope for in Oz.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, marin said:

Its a pity you have chosen to live where you do, but that was your choice. My kids never once ran across anything like that.  Both live in the states now with great jobs. They are 25 and have been there since they started university at 17. 

Fred, sadly money changes everything here. 

One last thing I myself was born and educated abroad. Coming back at 12 in 1963 I wanted to live near my aunty in Texas. My father crossed that off the list all those years ago. The standard of public education in Texas has been poor for so many decades. I wish you luck. 

My experience is the same as yours, but with four kids instead of two. All got into good universities or colleges in the US. Two have now graduated and have good jobs in the US and two are still studying.

I was also born an expat.

I think my children benefited greatly from being born and raised here compared to most of their peers in the US.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I know quite a few expats aside from myself, who are looking at options elsewhere, if it just gets a little bit worse here, and we all speak Thai, are long time integrated, has nothing to do with it. Most thais who have the chance even want to go. All this due to the negative changes over more or less the past 6 years or so (half of the years I spent here while that being 1/3rd of my life and 1/2 of my adult life).

What negative changes? I have not seen any that affect me personally.

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

Some of us just want to better ourselves rather than live in a country that doesn't really want us.

bob.

When you do figure out where you are really wanted, besides by law enforcement, please do let us all know. Waiting...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Not even going to reply on this nonsense comment again from you. You know perfectly well what it is about, as it is mentioned in all shapes and colors, in the past 11 pages on this topic.

Let me guess: you are old, retired, on a yearly visa and mainly stay at your house. Yes obviously you didn't notice any change, you don't do anything...

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Just now, Lacessit said:

you know those things in front of your face, they are called eyes yeh..

open them! and thou shalt see.

bob.

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

bob.

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

bob.

Actually, they are in my face, just as you are. Anatomy evidently is not your strong point.

If you can't give negative specifics, you are wasting my time, and everyone else's.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The cream jobs in WA truck driving used to be in the mines, most of the vehicles are remotely controlled now.

How much were you paying per week to rent in NZ? In Australia, it is north of $500 a week for a VERY average house.

I have a much better standard of living in Thailand than I could hope for in Oz.

Yes the cream is still there.  MinRes are still recruiting for dump truck drivers. 

A 3/1 shift would suit me fine.  FIFO from Perth with direct flights back to BKK will work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, bob smith said:

bob.

Bob, I much prefer your old avatar. Brick Top was more your style I thought. This new one looks like a nonce. Well, maybe I'm wrong about you and Brick Top. So go with the new one there bob-the-pedo-knob. You are still an oxygen thief. So if the shoe fits...

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

THREE times?  The first time with me, she would be out the door so fast her head would spin.

Last November, I was in a Thai hospital overnight. My GF slept on the floor next to my bed to take care of me. That's what a real Thai GF does.

I know that would usually be the best choice but I had to live here, and do, at least until I get my daughter out of here. I couldn't leave back then with my daughter because she was too young to consider taking her. I know what she did with her two previous daughters and know it's only time before she gets to be a burden she won't want. She knows my daughter will go to the US, it's just about when, and that has to be in less than three years. I'm not afraid of someone with a knife. A gun , yes. I just told her to put it away the first time. Her sister got in between us the second and the same the third time as the first. It seems to happen alot here, them going for cutlery. You see it almost daily on the news, either knives, machetes or sticks. I didn't pick well this time but my daughters future is a priority so I'm here for now.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You are killing the planet, so many postings everyday. 

Your carbon footprint is huge.

You need to reduce. 

He's an oxygen thief and a carbon polluter, all wrapped into one. As quoted from the original Blade Runner film: "He's a goddamn one-man slaughterhouse, that's what he is." Lol. 😂 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Not even going to reply on this nonsense comment again from you. You know perfectly well what it is about, as it is mentioned in all shapes and colors, in the past 11 pages on this topic.

Let me guess: you are old, retired, on a yearly visa and mainly stay at your house. Yes obviously you didn't notice any change, you don't do anything...

Young, not retired, elite visa. 

In the condo a fair bit.

What are these changes you talk about?

I'm enjoying thailand a lot. I will stay forever.

I have just had the immense pleasure of realising that by having Dolf on ignore, I have avoided 54 (yes, 54) posts from him on a topic that he didn't even start. The small pleasures in life are sometimes the most enjoyable. 

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I have just had the immense pleasure of realising that by having Dolf on ignore, I have avoided 54 (yes, 54) posts from him on a topic that he didn't even start. The small pleasures in life are sometimes the most enjoyable. 

I have him on ignore as well but can't avoid seeing his posts 

20 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Thailand allows men to get away with not paying for the children they make, although it's a law, but rarely enforced. This attitude says women are the sole responsible parent.

Perhaps Thai girls should refuse to have sex without a condom then. It's them that has the problem if they get pregnant.

If they are too stupid to do that then it's on their own heads.

I don't expect the boys to voluntarily use a condom because boys that don't want to are ignorant little <deleted> and unfortunately girls like that sort of cretin. So, sadly, it's on the girls to start being strong and saying no, not without a condom.

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO every country I have been in since I started working overseas, because NZ paid nurses a pittance, has got worse since then ( except for Saudi which couldn't get any worse ). Why should Thailand be different?

Biggest change for me in LOS was staying in the country. I started on 90 day visa exempt back to back visits, and ended up paying an agency to avoid the BS, but that is a once a year thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps Thai girls should refuse to have sex without a condom then. It's them that has the problem if they get pregnant.

If they are too stupid to do that then it's on their own heads.

I don't expect the boys to voluntarily use a condom because boys that don't want to are ignorant little <deleted> and unfortunately girls like that sort of cretin. So, sadly, it's on the girls to start being strong and saying no, not without a condom.

Actually anyone having sex without some form of birth control is stupid in a way. If you don't want the girl (woman) to get pregnant, and don't want the responsibility of a baby, use birth control. If she doesn't, you do. Pretty simple, and the world's population would decrease tenfold. Teens, and some adults, have a lot of trouble saying no. Yes, the woman has the power so to speak, because stopping a man when he's charged up isn't easy, but it's in her hands as far as allowing someone all the way.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:07 AM, bob smith said:

The world is a big place.

Thailand is slap bang in the middle.

It is far from special.

It is mediocre at the very best.

I prefer the upper echelons, the big hitters, high human development, democracy, clean air and safe streets.

There you go, that's as much info as you are all getting about where I am heading.

bob.

"Safe streets"? Unless what you're getting at is that Thailand's roads are dangerous (which most us can agree upon, although I will say if they got rid of all the scooters and most of the motorcycles, it wouldn't be too bad), then you're not going to find them anywhere in the west.

American streets are riddled with crime. Most of the offenders are non-white (Hispanics are often lumped in as "whites" but they're not) and it's only getting worse over time as the demographics is diversified. It's the same story throughout Europe (even traditionally safe Switzerland isn't as safe as it is made out to be) and Australia, which is in the midst of an Aboriginal crime wave up in the towns/cities of Alice Springs (which is considered more dangerous than Mexico City), Broome and Katherine. Brisbane and Melbourne have been affected by an uptick in crime caused by Sudanese refugees, including the murder of a 70 year old white Australian woman by a 16 year old refugee. 

Thailand on the other hand is extremely safe. You'd be unlucky to have anything stolen from you by a random Thai. Unattended stores at JJ Mall don't encounter any theft. Thailand is safe. So wherever you're going, it probably won't be as safe as Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 4:08 PM, Dolf said:

Racism

Dangerous roads

Polluted

Corruption

Education is inward looking

You're talking about public education here. No self-respecting farang would send their Eurasian child to a Thai public school. Instead, they're going to an international school, most of which are diverse and offer a decent education that is very much outward looking. Just seeing all the Thai school students continuing to wear masks is enough of a deal breaker to say NO to a Thai school (this includes many private schools too).

On 3/27/2024 at 2:14 PM, bob smith said:

Excellent post mate!

Me and Thailand have just grown apart.

Plain and simple really.

Plus, I do miss those western women!

bob.

I miss western women too, but I sure don't miss the self-hating liberal types. They're the worst, because they feel so much guilt for being white you can't possibly want to be with someone like that. A farm girl who wants to have 5 children, is against the whole woke agenda and lives out on a ranch, making roast beef and key lime pie every weekend, that's the type you want but where do you find those? At a bar in the middle of nowhereville, South Dakota? Chances are, they're married by the time they reach 21 and then have their first kid when they're 22, so at your age you'll only be able to find a divorcee with tons of baggage or you'll find yourself scanning ads for hot young Kazakhstani or Russian women, which will mean several years of back and forth travel before you apply for her K-1 finance visa. 

4 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

I miss western women too, but I sure don't miss the self-hating liberal types. They're the worst, because they feel so much guilt for being white you can't possibly want to be with someone like that. A farm girl who wants to have 5 children, is against the whole woke agenda and lives out on a ranch, making roast beef and key lime pie every weekend, that's the type you want but where do you find those? At a bar in the middle of nowhereville, South Dakota? Chances are, they're married by the time they reach 21 and then have their first kid when they're 22, so at your age you'll only be able to find a divorcee with tons of baggage or you'll find yourself scanning ads for hot young Kazakhstani or Russian women, which will mean several years of back and forth travel before you apply for her K-1 finance visa. 

Western women are mostly fat

• Agree 1