Government Clarifies Songkran Celebration Confusion for Chinese Tourist

webfact

Come to beautiful Chiang Mai.  <cough cough>  Play water this 21 day Songkran. <hack wheeze> (well maybe just play water 5 day) <cough>  Enjoy beautiful Chiang Mai mountain scenery brown-haze and look with wonder on brown sunset.  <cough wheeze wheeze> 

435922065_3126345407497834_2237515817797885443_n.thumb.jpg.412f2bdf5fd316feb0762cb73aeac706.jpg

• Haha 2

"The government has offered an explanation about a Chinese tourist who was under the impression that Bangkok would be hosting continuous water fights during the Songkran"...... he's a moron.

• Sad 1

Maybe next time, before they decide anything, or announce anything, they should think about what they are doing.

And because Thaksin's lackeys have problems with thinking, maybe they should discuss their ideas with some real people.

But I won't hold my breath about that. 

This is exactly what I posted in response to many posters on this forum when this was first announced. So many saying 21 days is stupid etc. So plenty of folk on here also 'misunderstanding' the actual 21 day period. I said it then and it must be obvious to everyone now that there would be little difference and Songkran would be as usual. This year an extra day I think but still only April 12-16. The official Songkran period.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

PRD Director-General Sudruetai Lertkasem and Deputy Director-General Janya Amhirun have been visiting Ratchaburi and Phetchaburi provinces to oversee preparations and instill a sense of pride and awareness of Songkran.

A water boozed up water fight ?

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"The government has offered an explanation about a Chinese tourist who was under the impression that Bangkok would be hosting continuous water fights during the Songkran"...... he's a moron.

I am guessing that the water fight thing will start this Friday. In most places anyway. So, if you wanna enjoy an evening out without getting wet (like me myself, who especially dislikes getting water in my ears, which could be quite a problem), make sure to go out either tonight or tomorrow evening or Thursday evening. Or, of course, after next Tuesday. I am all for people enjoying a water fight among themselves for a few days, preferably in designated spots like Khao San. But, I really don't like random water splashing. To be honest, I never really did, even in my twenties.

Edited by JemJem

26 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I can't even find out when Pattaya Immigration & Bangkok Bank are open as it's Visa renewal time.

Maneerat visa agency, Pattaya is open on Friday. My Jomtien 2nd road branch of Bangkok Bank (and presumably all other branches) is NOT --- closed from Friday until???

Welcome to non Songkran, Songran where everything to do with the holiday is done, but there are no water fights for which the holiday is famous world wide. only educated tourists, intimately connected with Thai customs, need apply. 

PS Fooled you, stupid tourist, simply bait and switch and you feel for it. 

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I can't even find out when Pattaya Immigration & Bangkok Bank are open as it's Visa renewal time.

I guess it has been discussed and stated a hundred times here:

official public holidays 12 to 16.

Effectively meaning that for three non-weekend days (12, 15 and 16) immigration offices and bank main branches are closed. Visa agencies etc. up to them.

April 12 was announced in February as an extra holiday and indeed some confusion as calendars not been updated (e.g. at our immigration website).

Edited by KhunBENQ

13,14,15: regular Songkran days as usual

12: extra holiday be government decision

16: substitute day as usual by the rules.

songkran.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I guess it has been discussed and stated a hundred times here:

official public holidays 12 to 16.

Effectively meaning that for three non-weekend days (12, 15 and 16) immigration offices and bank main branches are closed. Visa agencies etc. up to them.

April 12 was announced in February as an extra holiday and indeed some confusion as calendars not been updated (e.g. at our immigration website).

Thank you very much.

23 hours ago, 5davidhen1 said:

Maneerat visa agency, Pattaya is open on Friday. My Jomtien 2nd road branch of Bangkok Bank (and presumably all other branches) is NOT --- closed from Friday until???

Thank you.