What happens if a foreigner doesn't pay a traffic infringement fine? Saw a video on Youtube

24 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think most of the time nothing happens.

So when the cops ask you to go inside and pay the fine, you just get on your motorbike and ride off and they will just watch you go lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

So when the cops ask you to go inside and pay the fine, you just get on your motorbike and ride off

Normally they will take the keys  and you have to show a receipt to get keys back..maybe this joker had a spare set of keys ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, johng said:

Normally they will take the keys  and you have to show a receipt to get keys back..maybe this joker had a spare set of keys ?

If you go a few minutes earlier in the video, the cops had his keys and he asked for them back before going into the cop shop and the cop gave the keys back to him when asked.

Plus cops can't take your keys when you have remote keyless entry like many of the newer bikes these days 😉

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

If you go a few minutes earlier in the video, the cops had his keys and he asked for them back before going into the cop shop and the cop gave the keys back to him when asked.

Well I didn't see that in the video (can you give a timestamp)

but the cop messed up then.

26 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

So when the cops ask you to go inside and pay the fine, you just get on your motorbike and ride off and they will just watch you go lol

The fine does not have to be paid there and then, it is still outstanding, he can leave and return when he has cash...if he chooses.

Keep a few hundred baht paper clipped to any card underneath and solve it right there and leave. Race away? Ok, you can but be careful. They rarely chase people. Unlike the Kiwi deal, where the cop chased him a with loaded gun.

That's my not 100% correct solution.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, rexpotter said:

Keep a few hundred baht paper clipped to any card underneath and solve it right there and leave. Race away? Ok, you can but be careful. They rarely chase people. Unlike the Kiwi deal, where the cop chased him a with loaded gun.

That's my not 100% correct solution.

Also, they are not going to stop you at the airport. Forget about it, have another Chang.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, they don't, they normally retain the driving licence which is returned when the fine is paid, they cannot confiscate the keys and, effectively, the bike.  When they take the keys it is usually just to stop the bike being ridden away until they have issued the ticket or accepted the fine/payment.

Not in my experience.  Last time I got fined for no helmets and IDP they stopped us on 3rd road, confiscated the keys/bike at the roadside and sent us off to Soi 9 on a motorbike taxi, 3 up with no helmets.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I always speed up and cut through traffic on Beach Rd near the cop shop when I seem them standing there ready to pull over motorbikes. Never once have they been able to see and stop me because I'm driving too fast, would become too dangerous for them to try and run into the middle of the road. Because I don't want to waste my time and theirs. I've got my Thai licence and helmet on all the time so they wouldn't be able to fine me for anything anyway.

Yep, just use the lane nearest the beach and avoid eye contact.  Dolphin roundabout/Terminal 21 can be a little bit trickier though!

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Either nothing happens or they fine you when you pay your annual tax, lucky dip

Who told you they fine you when pay tax, have you experienced this first hand?

I must have hundreds of tickets i've never paid, never been questioned whilst taxing any of my vehicles, not once.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Who told you they fine you when pay tax, have you experienced this first hand?

I must have hundreds of tickets i've never paid, never been questioned whilst taxing any of my vehicles, not once.

Of course, you have...............:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

No shirt on whilst driving a motorbike and no IDP to show the cops,

was he wearing his helmet  when they pulled him over ?

doesn't pay and then says he can work  and they don't say anything

Jesus  then goes onto to say he has been drinking smoking weed and taking pills whist driving !!!!!  FFS !!!

he is a total helmet .......  

I was directed to his videos last week and as I commented at the time .....  fine should have been 1500 

500 no Int Permit  500 no shirt 500 driving like a total tool 

he's rather the epitome of the tourist Thailand does not need ..... gobby  and  disrespectful

he'll probably end up getting a hiding off someone before long ..... just sayin" ! 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, transam said:

About 4 years back, Mrs.T went to road tax her bike, they said, "Sorry, you must go to the police station to pay a parking fine", do that then come back".

She said, "I haven't had a parking fine".. 🤔

She went to the police station to ask what it was about, out came a photo of her bike parked not close enough to the curb, she had to pay up. Went back and taxed her bike......😏

Ok, that's nice for Mrs Tranny, sounds like a great day out....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1