Man arrested in Thailand for assaulting teen during Songkran

webfact

image.jpeg

A 40 year old man was arrested yesterday for luring and assaulting a 16 year old girl in a harrowing Songkran holiday incident. Thai police apprehended the suspect, known as Arm Laisak, with an extensive criminal background, including prior offences related to drug trafficking.

The arrest followed a mother’s desperate rescue of her daughter, who was found in a traumatised state after the attack.

On the evening of April 13 last year, during Thailand’s New Year celebrations, the teenage victim was enticed by the suspect, a man she considered an uncle and a close friend of her father’s, with the promise of joining in the festivities. Instead, she was drugged and sexually assaulted until she lost consciousness.

The victim’s ordeal began with a seemingly innocent invitation to play in the Songkran water festivities. However, the suspect, identified only by his first name, Somphop, allegedly took her to his house under the guise of having a drink before heading to the celebration. Once there, he incapacitated her with alcohol and committed the assault.

The teen’s mother, upon receiving a distress call from her daughter, rushed to the scene. She found her daughter hiding in the bathroom, shaking uncontrollably and crying. The suspect had attempted to force entry into the bathroom, in a state of deranged persistence before the mother intervened, pushing him away and rescuing her daughter.

Police, led by Major General Thitithorn Saengsuwan and his team, successfully executed the arrest in Phetchaburi province after obtaining an arrest warrant issued by Thonburi Criminal Court on July 11, 2023, for charges of sexual assault and abduction. The suspect’s capture was not without drama, as he initially refused to surrender until he realised escape was impossible due to the presence of police forces.

Somphop’s criminal history includes several drug-related arrests dating back to 2004 in the Bang Khun Thian area, where he was apprehended with 190 methamphetamine pills, and again in 2006 in the Tha Kham area with 120 pills. In 2013, in the Sutthisan area, he was part of a transnational drug smuggling operation involving Thai and Malaysian accomplices, leading to the seizure of 3 kilogrammes of ketamine and 400 ecstasy pills, reported KhaoSod.

Sexual assault

During the investigation, Somphop denied all allegations, claiming that he and the victim were just drinking together, and he had no recollection of the events due to his intoxication from alcohol and ketamine.

His defence pointed to his attempts to lead a law-abiding life after his release from prison in 2020, including selling food and working in parcel delivery, but the evidence and the victim’s testimony told a different story.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-04-15

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Why do police need an arrest warrant?  Surely if they see a crime being committed they can just take the perpetrator into custody?

I've often wondered that too.

In the Uk, police officers have a warrant card which, I believe, gives them powers of arrest if they suspect a crime is being committed.

In Thailand police seem to need a court order first.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

a man she considered an uncle and a close friend of her father’s

5 hours ago, webfact said:

several drug-related arrests dating back to 2004 in the Bang Khun Thian area, where he was apprehended with 190 methamphetamine pills, and again in 2006 in the Tha Kham area with 120 pills. In 2013, in the Sutthisan area, he was part of a transnational drug smuggling operation involving Thai and Malaysian accomplices

close friend of her father's...

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:
2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

2023 ?

Slow news week, just recycle old stuff and hope no one figures it out 

It says arrested yesterday.  Did it take them a year to find him?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A 40 year old man was arrested yesterday for luring and assaulting a 16 year old girl in a harrowing Songkran holiday incident. Thai police apprehended the suspect, known as Arm Laisak, with an extensive criminal background, including prior offences related to drug trafficking.

The arrest followed a mother’s desperate rescue of her daughter, who was found in a traumatised state after the attack.

On the evening of April 13 last year, during Thailand’s New Year celebrations, the teenage victim was enticed by the suspect, a man she considered an uncle and a close friend of her father’s, with the promise of joining in the festivities. Instead, she was drugged and sexually assaulted until she lost consciousness.

The victim’s ordeal began with a seemingly innocent invitation to play in the Songkran water festivities. However, the suspect, identified only by his first name, Somphop, allegedly took her to his house under the guise of having a drink before heading to the celebration. Once there, he incapacitated her with alcohol and committed the assault.

The teen’s mother, upon receiving a distress call from her daughter, rushed to the scene. She found her daughter hiding in the bathroom, shaking uncontrollably and crying. The suspect had attempted to force entry into the bathroom, in a state of deranged persistence before the mother intervened, pushing him away and rescuing her daughter.

Police, led by Major General Thitithorn Saengsuwan and his team, successfully executed the arrest in Phetchaburi province after obtaining an arrest warrant issued by Thonburi Criminal Court on July 11, 2023, for charges of sexual assault and abduction. The suspect’s capture was not without drama, as he initially refused to surrender until he realised escape was impossible due to the presence of police forces.

Somphop’s criminal history includes several drug-related arrests dating back to 2004 in the Bang Khun Thian area, where he was apprehended with 190 methamphetamine pills, and again in 2006 in the Tha Kham area with 120 pills. In 2013, in the Sutthisan area, he was part of a transnational drug smuggling operation involving Thai and Malaysian accomplices, leading to the seizure of 3 kilogrammes of ketamine and 400 ecstasy pills, reported KhaoSod.

Sexual assault

During the investigation, Somphop denied all allegations, claiming that he and the victim were just drinking together, and he had no recollection of the events due to his intoxication from alcohol and ketamine.

His defence pointed to his attempts to lead a law-abiding life after his release from prison in 2020, including selling food and working in parcel delivery, but the evidence and the victim’s testimony told a different story.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-04-15

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

It's a crime for sure.

The perp was the father's best friend (majority of those cases got that background) and took advantage of this situation. However, the girl could have denied drinking alcohol and left the room, and talking about this approach to her mother.

Instead she stayed.

I can't excuse his behaviour but would recommend parents to talk about possible assaults by so called friends or strangers and how to react.🙏

The only lesson to learn out of this and other similar crimes is simply that a few weeks/months in prison is no deterrent for the criminals.
Criminals who are involved in drugs and/or molesting children should be handled more seriously.
Like letting them escape and shooting them while trying to escape.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

However, the girl could have denied drinking alcohol and left the room, and talking about this approach to her mother.

Instead she stayed

She's a kid.

You need your head examined.

"She found her daughter hiding in the bathroom, shaking uncontrollably and crying. The suspect had attempted to force entry into the bathroom, in a state of deranged persistence before the mother intervened, pushing him away and rescuing her daughter"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muhendis said:

In the Uk, police officers have a warrant card which, I believe, gives them powers of arrest if they suspect a crime is being committed.

I think the cops back home can arrest someone if they catch them in the act, but not 2 or 3 months later, like this case.

On the evening of April 13 last year, during Thailand’s New Year celebrations, the teenage victim was enticed by the suspect...

...after obtaining an arrest warrant issued by Thonburi Criminal Court on July 11, 2023, 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Muhendis said:

From my time with the Thai Tourist Police, I believe an arrest warrant/court order is requird to bring an individual  to the police station for questioning in relation to a crime (e.g. for fraud etc.) For street/bar brawls, as we have read about recently in Pattaya and Phuket, arrest warrants are not required, the perpetrators can be arrested on site and taken in for processing.

In the UK, Citizens have the power of arrest known as "Citizens Arrest", but it is rarely used with people leaving it to the Police:-

You can make an arrest if the suspect is actually committing the offence or if you reasonably suspect them of committing it, or when the offence has been committed and you reasonably suspect them of having committed it.

There is no specific wording to use when making a citizens arrest. However you must inform the person you are arresting as soon as possible what you are doing, why you are doing it and what offence you believe the person has committed.

https://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/ask-the-police/question/Q508#:~:text=You can make an arrest,when making a citizens arrest.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

She's a kid.

You need your head examined.

"She found her daughter hiding in the bathroom, shaking uncontrollably and crying. The suspect had attempted to force entry into the bathroom, in a state of deranged persistence before the mother intervened, pushing him away and rescuing her daughter"

My head??😂 I think your's is saying goodbye to you??🥳

This "kid" is 16 years old. Not a toddler I suppose.

So, don't talk nonsense or continue boozing!🙏

10 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

My head??😂 I think your's is saying goodbye to you??🥳

This "kid" is 16 years old. Not a toddler I suppose.

So, don't talk nonsense or continue boozing!🙏

Funny, I figured you were drunk when you blamed a teen girl for being attacked by her uncle. 

If not, it's definitely time to get your head examined. 

4 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Funny, I figured you were drunk when you blamed a teen girl for being attacked by her uncle. 

If not, it's definitely time to get your head examined. 

I really convinced that you need medical help. Or did you forget to take your medicine? That's absolute insane what you're writing. 

I didn't blame that young woman not did I say her uncle was involved.

You see you got even problems to read and understand. Some might call you a poor little boy.🥴

There's that revolving prison door policy, instead of life or death sentence for drug dealers.   Another predator on society allowed to walk amongst us, and the gal will suffer for it, the rest of her life.

"Somphop’s criminal history includes several drug-related arrests dating back to 2004 in the Bang Khun Thian area, where he was apprehended with 190 methamphetamine pills, and again in 2006 in the Tha Kham area with 120 pills. In 2013, in the Sutthisan area, he was part of a transnational drug smuggling operation involving Thai and Malaysian accomplices, leading to the seizure of 3 kilogrammes of ketamine and 400 ecstasy pills, reported KhaoSod."

>Police, led by Major General Thitithorn Saengsuwan and his team, successfully executed the arrest...

They should have Literally Executed that scumbag(notorious criminal) on the spot instead.

So that thing can never commit any more crimes in any future,; no more new victims of any kinds.

One step closer to the better & safer Thailand.

Edited by borderhopper2005