2nd visa exempt by air. Denial?

• I had a Non O-A and got almost two years out of it using re-entry until  December 2023
  • January 2024 I used Visa exempt CNX airport entry. I spend more time outside than inside Thailand but seeing all my stamps The IO only asked me if I had a visa then how long you stay? I said two weeks. Ended up I stayed 21 days. Is it suspicious strange to start using visa exempts after having a so-called proper visa for years?

I want to come to Thailand for two weeks in from May 1 visa exempt, then fly out again. I will apply to Los Angeles to get a new visa after that 

Will probably use CNX again but might need to do BKK.  I will bring money, copy of Yellow book, "onward Ticket" and will request and keep my paper boarding pass

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah they refuse you for sure. How are these questions even real, of course you can do that. There is ten thousands of foreigners in Thailand who live here by doing visa runs constantly, that didn't change or something. How you think most live in the south.

This website and forum is just so extremely toxic if it comes to visa's, that it seems to give any member anxiety issues with immigration lol.

I should stop reading social media and AN and just listen to my airline mates who come to Thailand maybe once or twice year they never  heard of any hassles at all. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I want to come to Thailand for two weeks in from May 1 visa exempt, then fly out again. I will apply to Los Angeles to get a new visa after that 

You will not have an issue. 

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, impulse said:

Self selection bias.  We usually don't hear from the >99% of tourists who sail through immigration with no problems.  We just hear from the guys who had problems, often leaving out salient details of their history.

Next week, I'll be on my 13th exempt entry in a row (monthly, for about a week each trip), after having worked in Thailand for about 7 years.  Then 3 or 4 exempt entries and an in-country extension before Covid put a stop to my travels for a couple of years.  My buttcheeks tighten up on each entry.  But so far, nothing but a smile and a stamp.

Heartening. I don't like the idea of being knocked back but it would not be the end of the world.

Covid was a nightmare for them but heard similar two guys  working out of HKG and SIN who keep their Thai families in Thailand. Don't even bother with "Thai wife" visa. The SIN guy is Asian American I think that might afford some privilege but I think the most important may be they clearly have a professional job spending more time out of Thailand than in,  like yourself.

Edited by Captain Monday

15 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

...Is it suspicious strange to start using visa exempts after having a so-called proper visa for years...

No.

15 hours ago, Captain Monday said:
  • I had a Non O-A and got almost two years out of it using re-entry until  December 2023
  • January 2024 I used Visa exempt CNX airport entry. I spend more time outside than inside Thailand but seeing all my stamps The IO only asked me if I had a visa then how long you stay? I said two weeks. Ended up I stayed 21 days. Is it suspicious strange to start using visa exempts after having a so-called proper visa for years?

Will probably use CNX again but might need to do BKK.  I will bring money, copy of Yellow book, "onward Ticket" and will request and keep my paper boarding pass

I got stopped and nearly kicked out the country at BBK airport for not having a tourist visa a few weeks ago. I've been traveling on exemptions for a couple of years now. Two months in Thailand, Two months elsewhere. Anyways, I don't know why immigration has become so idiotic but it is what it is.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Yeah they refuse you for sure. How are these questions even real, of course you can do that. There is ten thousands of foreigners in Thailand who live here by doing visa runs constantly, that didn't change or something. How you think most live in the south.

This website and forum is just so extremely toxic if it comes to visa's, that it seems to give any member anxiety issues with immigration lol.

yep..returning in 2 weeks for my 16th year..always ONE way always NO visa..stay 6 months and go home..each time...6 here--6 home to work--rinse lather repeat

30 stamp at bkk--extend   2 land border hops which are allowed yearly and extend both--done and done....and im on my 3rd PP to prove it for the doubters

52 minutes ago, Romano Bummies said:

I got stopped and nearly kicked out the country at BBK airport for not having a tourist visa a few weeks ago. I've been traveling on exemptions for a couple of years now. Two months in Thailand, Two months elsewhere. Anyways, I don't know why immigration has become so idiotic but it is what it is.

and your home country is where?   never been an issue for me at Bkk after 15 yrs--US PP...6 months LOS  6 months back home

16 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

There is ten thousands of foreigners in Thailand who live here by doing visa runs constantly

thats me...6 months LOS--go home to work the other 6 ..back n forth--one way--no visa ever--15 yrs..see ya in 2 weeks..look for the hansum fella 🙂

15 hours ago, impulse said:

Self selection bias.  We usually don't hear from the >99% of tourists who sail through immigration with no problems.  We just hear from the guys who had problems, often leaving out salient details of their history.

Next week, I'll be on my 13th exempt entry in a row (monthly, for about a week each trip), after having worked in Thailand for about 7 years.  Then 3 or 4 exempt entries and an in-country extension before Covid put a stop to my travels for a couple of years.  My buttcheeks tighten up on each entry.  But so far, nothing but a smile and a stamp.

exactly...same..see ya in 2 weeks...dibs on the armrest 🙂

People here are too paranoid. Why it should be a problem if someone wants to come to Thailand every 6 months for example? It's not mandatory to get a proper visa if the intention is to stay in Thailand only for 4/6 months. Everybody could come with a 30 days exempt . I stay 4/6 months in Thailand and the rest in my country. After come back to Thailand, no issues at all 

Edited by Jack1988

I doubt you'll have a problem but I wouldn't recommend coming in visa exempt (a tourist) and showing your Yellow House Book.

Those that have reported being denied entry on exempts usually have far more exempt entries than you have and are suspected of working in Thailand or living there without the correct visa.  Showing your housebook is more likley to create suspicion, it will not make you more likely to gain entry.

Its normal for questions to be asked if you've previously had a long term visa. You simply state that the visa was for when you lived in Thailand but now you're a tourist.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Why it should be a problem if someone wants to come to Thailand every 6 months for example?

I've never heard of anyone being denied entry who has 6 months between visits. The ones that have reported denials usually have several exempt entries without much time between them.

9 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

It's not mandatory to get a proper visa if the intention is to stay in Thailand only for 4/6 months

Really?  How does someone stay that length of time without a visa? As far as I know, a 30 day exempt can be extended by 30 days or 60 days if you are married to a Thai. That would give 60 or 90 days max.  How does one stay for 120/180 days without a visa?

Edited by MangoKorat

4 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Really?  How does someone stay that length of time without a visa? As far as I know, a 30 day exempt can be extended by 30 days or 60 days if you are married to a Thai. That would give 60 or 90 days max.  How does one stay for 120/180 days without a visa?

I do 2 border run. 30+30 extension at the local immigration. After that I do a few border runs. Total 4 months 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I doubt you'll have a problem but I wouldn't recommend coming in visa exempt (a tourist) and showing your Yellow House Book.

Those that have reported being denied entry on exempts usually have far more exempt entries than you have and are suspected of working in Thailand or living there without the correct visa.  Showing your housebook is more likley to create suspicion, it will not make you more likely to gain entry.

It’s normal for questions to be asked if you've previously had a long term visa. You simply state that the visa was for when you lived in Thailand but now you're a tourist.

I suggest the yellow book as proof of accommodations. Maybe I should just book a few days at Le Meridien Chiang Mai ? 

So, what is the definition of “live in Thailand”
I have always spent more time outside of Thailand with no multi month stays  except during 2021-2022. 

If tourists can’t own condos I wish they would not have flogged one off to me years ago.  Another time yes. Never heard of TM30 for the fist 7 years or so and nobody ever suggested I could not come to Thailand every other month visa exempt between overseas work rotations. It seems like things will only be getting worse. 

Captain Monday - “Constant International Travel”

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Once you show them the Yellow book you'll be fine.

Got the Pink ID card to go with that?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Romano Bummies said:

Obviously not aware that the Bilateral Agreement is for 30 days.

Years ago any extension to a visa exempt entry was at the discretion of the IO, one time I was given 5 days.

Now people seem to think that a 30 day extension is a god given right.

10 hours ago, Romano Bummies said:

I'm not doubting your experience, but I wonder whether you were really "nearly kicked out", or just pulled aside for extra scrutiny?

Just before Covid, entering by land from Malaysia, I was "pulled aside for extra scrutiny".  I wasn't aware that it was a Malaysian holiday and there was a huge scrum to get in.  I think the first IO took pity on the only white face, way back in the huge crowd.  So she pulled me out of line and into the "Big Guy's" office.  Then the big guy was curious why in the world I came by land.  Short story, I always wanted to try a train trip from KL to BKK.  I just picked a bad weekend for it.  First and last time I'll ever make that trip.  It was pretty miserable, aside from the stopover in Penang, which is worth a visit.

Bottom line, I never felt like I was "nearly denied entry", though they had the discretion, since I was on visa exempt.  And that's why I always wear long pants, a collared shirt and a smile through immigration.  And carry cash and extra socks and undies, just in case I do get the boot.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Once you show them the Yellow book you'll be fine.

Got the Pink ID card to go with that?

I got all that. Perhaps not a good idea. 

Maybe a copy of my condo Chanote  ?

• Love It 1

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm not doubting your experience, but I wonder whether you were really "nearly kicked out", or just pulled aside for extra scrutiny?

I was pulled aside for extra scrutiny before. No problem with that.

But that's not what happened to me at BBK airport.

They said they were considering deporting me because I was travelling too much on exemptions.

So "nearly kicked out" is pretty accurate.

Imo they were bluffing.

As soon as I told them I didn't care and could go to another country to spend my money, they stopped.

Anyways. I'm in. All that matters to me.

4 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I got all that. Perhaps not a good idea. 

Maybe a copy of my condo Chanote  ?

Don't forget that, when setting off, once you've checked-in online or at the airport totem you cannot ever be asked for sight of return/onward ticket or 'some sort of visa'. Airlines don't have enough staff or time available to request such things at your departure gate.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Obviously not aware that the Bilateral Agreement is for 30 days.

Years ago any extension to a visa exempt entry was at the discretion of the IO, one time I was given 5 days.

Now people seem to think that a 30 day extension is a god given right.

I wrote exemption not extension.

Coming here for over 20 years and never had a problem with Immigration at any of the airports. In saying that, I am no fan of Thai IO's due to them all making up their own rules as they go along. The many posters who have said this over the years can not all be wrong.

• Confused 1