Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

4 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

At least we dont walk into a mall and kill defeceless woman Goat but then its easyier to kill females then men. Real brave Cobber.

The Italian bloke last week at Bondi?

Terrible wasnt he.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

One of the issues raised was the lack of English Teachers. why is this. Is it because the Thai kids want to say Good Morning instead of saying G/day mate or Howdy Partner.  

Because you need a degree..In anything, even Facebook marketing..yet thousands of older expats that didn't require degrees are not able to apply

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is not corract.

At least in Bangkok decades ago the air quality was worse and the traffic was worse.

Now it's far away from good, but a lot better than it used to be.

Remember those things?

1024px-Green_bus_in_Bangkok.jpg

Rubbish

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has an opportunity to address the underlying causes and revitalize its connection with British tourists and expats.

Gee what an opportunity.

I doubt the Thais would care one way or the other.

I dont think they will be missed at all.

• Sad 3
  • Love It 1

22 minutes ago, Goat said:

Less Brits means less farang trouble in Thailand which is a good thing for all of us.

Very rarely you have a positive Brit story in Thailand, usually it is druggies begging at 7/11, the Brit biting Thais, throwing glasses in dog cafes, taking a dump in the street at Nana, kiddy fiddling teachers, reporting fake kidnappings, boiler rooms, domestic violence etc etc It is never ending. 

Personally speaking as a British, I firmly believe in that is where you are/were brought up in your own country has lot today with your attitude. People from major/inner cities are completely different to people brought up in rural communities (whichever country that is) JMHO

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BarraMarra said:

At least he wast there the next day trying to kill a priest. Real tough these Aussies.

That wasnt the Italian who went the priest, it was a Greek kid.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Not in the business model. The idea is to have large database of nonsense, though there's some informal, unwritten rule that you can't quote a member's old nonsense from years ago back to him. That said, there's a lot of good info from years ago, though perhaps none that you posted.

I suspect Aseannow: TT is missing a big opportunity here. Reddit's negotiated a $60 million deal with Google to use its posts for AI training. Perfect here, too. After a similar lucrative deal, Google searches will finally present true expert answers in the first results about the REAL Thailand and, you know, the beer & pussy.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Since when has the Thai education system qualified as being a "sought-after" source of "high-quality" work?

totally agree. been a teacher here 20 years and there is absolutely nothing good about the thai education system and here results speak for themselves. the system is governed by an antiquated mentality that encourages and rewards sycophants and even western qualified and licensed teachers like me are told to 'do what i say' no matter how ludicrous. the writer of this article is clearly biased or has got a shoe up his/her arse

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I only have a problem with people from a certain country (European) and it certainly is not the British 

It's a bit like the stock photo used in the OP. I very much doubt the models are British. They don't appear to fit the style of young people from there.

The same group have been pictured many times in pics on Shutterstock and that company and the photographer are American. 

1 hour ago, superal said:

Agree with most of your post accept the mention of the disabled . They are not well catered for especially for someone in a wheelchair who will have to take their chance by using the road . Broken pavements in every town in Thailand with vendors taking up space that should be clear for pedestrians . Thailand compared with some European holiday venues , just does not compare . Look at the beautiful Spanish promenades .  Thai pedestrian crossings mean this is where you must cross the road and Thai drivers will not give you priority when using the crossing . Red lights at a crossing are often ignored  . Etc Etc .

Finally one of the major factors for the absence of Brits to Thailand is the ridiculous cost of air fares . It appears  that all of the air lines have agreed to hike up their fares . Lucky if you can get an economy  flight  for under a grand . Imagine a family facing those fares . They will either stay in the UK ( BTW UK holiday bookings at an all time high )or be off to the Balearics .

Sorry I meant that the disabled are even more badly catered for than normal pedestrians. Steps everywhere but no handrails for people like me who walk with crutches and can negotiate steps as long as there is a handrail to hang on to. Ramps for wheelchairs are too steep almost impossible for someone in an unpowered chair to get up extremely difficult for anyone pushing. An expectation that disabled people have 'carers' and are not independent. Thai workmen coming to my house talk to my wife not me etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was surprised that a website that positively discourages racism and stereotypes  thought fit to include a photograph like this to promote this thread.

Use of similar photographs caricaturing Negroes, Indians Muslims or Chinese would have caused uproar amongst the woke and liberal membership and would have been quickly removed by the mods if posted by a member 

I'm not against a bit of racism , I actually think its a basic natural instinct that's hard wired into the human brain.  But what I am not in favour of is double standards and outright hypocrisy

I bet that photo wasn't even taken in Thailand

brit.jpg.a5a54660e50e2640c8983c3172bef827.jpg

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, mikebell said:

Taxing pensions?  Owning houses?  Once they have driven the Brits out, who will be next?

Perhaps they could open negotiations with the British Government regarding a "reciprocal agreement" the lack of which means that British pensioners living here have their pensions "frozen" at the rate they were getting when they first moved here?

Edited by metisdead
Trolling image removed.
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The perception in the USA and Europe is that the TAT favours Russians, Indians and Chinese, and that Westerners are no longer welcome in Thailand.

You are confusing the sentiments of a few on here with the sentiments of two large continents.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, RobU said:

Thai workmen coming to my house talk to my wife not me etc.

They probably just assume that you don't speak Thai  to a sufficiently high standard in order to explain what you want them to do. Would they be correct in that assumption ?  If  not , then you would be more than capable of politely explaining that to them in their own language.  

"Streamlining visa and work permit processes, and fostering a welcoming environment in Immigration Offices for  foreign businesses, all those who need to acquire a visa or extension. 

But that won't happen - only last week they were saying that they were going to make it more difficult for ex pats to deter the criminal fraternity from coming to Thailand? 😕🤪

Edited by sambum

34 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

The perception in the USA and Europe is that the TAT favours Russians, Indians and Chinese, and that Westerners are no longer welcome in Thailand.

Lets move forward and think what TAT Or Tourism chiefs will offer to bring British tourist back in incentives. I know this wont happen but if you sat in a meeting with a high up TAT spokesperson what would you say to him or her.

Edited by BarraMarra

38 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

What <deleted> you talk

Don't confuse the majority with the few

You are showing how stupid you are

we already know how stupid he is, yet he feels the need to remind us time and time again, 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is not corract.

At least in Bangkok decades ago the air quality was worse and the traffic was worse.

Now it's far away from good, but a lot better than it used to be.

Remember those things?

1024px-Green_bus_in_Bangkok.jpg

From the BBC. Not about Bangkok but another tourist 'hotspot' of Chiang Mai:

On 10 March, Thai health authorities reported that in the first nine weeks of the year, more than 1.3 million people had already suffered air pollution-related diseases.

Thailand's extreme air pollution: 'I feel sorry for my daughter' (bbc.com)

Tourists do not like pollution-related diseases. And didn't they have to close schools in Bangkok recently?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1