Thai Airways Faces Backlash Over Business-Class Seat Fiasco

webfact

2 hours ago, 2long said:
3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Can you not see the Photo ? There is no way those seats could recline. Even worse you'd have to sit bolt upright.

I feel that the photo is a stick/file image of the cabin

That's why the OP specifically mentioned that!

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

TG less than 'world class' for decades.

Just one simple example, as unsatisfactory issue on a regional biz class flight. Next morning I called TG in BKK asked to be transferred to the complaints office.

Response: 'Ohh we don't have a complaints dept., because we never have any customer problems, bye'. 

There's no emoji for flabbergasted on this forum so I put the laughter emoji to your post but my flabber is definitely ghasted.

12 hours ago, VBF said:

Flying with those idiots you must have!

One question...... Why?  There are so many other airlines to choose from and yet, knowing what you're going to get you still choose Thai.

Bit like banging your head on a brick wall isn't it?

I fly Thai and the reason is it is the only non-stop from Perth to BKK.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, gargamon said:

Only has himself to blame. Why fly Thai Airways when there's many better airlines to use, EVA for example.

Much depends on what day or time the flight arrives at destination.

1 hour ago, still kicking said:

I fly Thai and the reason is it is the only non-stop from Perth to BKK.

Your choice. I prefer a break in my UK - Thailand flights, and Dubai is usually quite nice - I dodged a bullet with the recent floods though!  😬

56 minutes ago, VBF said:

Your choice. I prefer a break in my UK - Thailand flights, and Dubai is usually quite nice - I dodged a bullet with the recent floods though!  😬

If you were an Aussie and lived in Perth would take a break in Britain?

48 minutes ago, still kicking said:

If you were an Aussie and lived in Perth would take a break in Britain?

What ARE you on about?

London to Dubai to Bangkok is hardly any sort of a diversion!

15 hours ago, RobU said:

The airline suffers from the usual Thai disorder. Buy new and never maintain. The only reason the airframe and engines are maintained is because there is oversight by the international aviation authorities, i.e. they wouldn't be allowed to land at any foreign airport  without a valid airworthiness certificate. I suspect that reclining the seats and working video screens are not part of the certification process so like all Thai management they don't bother to maintain them because they are not forced to by an external body

That's why they are not allowed to fly to USA,  There are a lot of sh*t ass airlines that fly to USA but not Thai.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

not sure he's allowed to criticise or complain about thai airways, or anyone or anything in thailand, without opening himself up to being sued, regardless of how true and valid the criticism or complaint is...

only been on one thai airways flight, and that was only because it was a flight share, and none of the seats reclined, never before or after traveled on an airline with non reclining seats. will never knowingly travel on thai again.

20 hours ago, gargamon said:

Only has himself to blame. Why fly Thai Airways when there's many better airlines to use, EVA for example.

Eva and THai now share routes

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Can you not see the Photo ? There is no way those seats could recline. Even worse you'd have to sit bolt upright.

youHaven't travelled business class have you? THey are electric and fold out forward from the swab.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, VBF said:

Flying with those idiots you must have!

One question...... Why?  There are so many other airlines to choose from and yet, knowing what you're going to get you still choose Thai.

Bit like banging your head on a brick wall isn't it?

Why....   because on some routes they're still better.

- BKK - Jakarta - Thai are better. 

- BKK - Tokyo - Thai are cheaper than ANA and JAL.

BUT - the real kicker is the amount of air-miles I get from Credit cards - we accrue the ROP points and spend then on TG flights.

... usually Japan...  

It can bit hit and miss, but I think Thai get a back rap for their lack of consistency... i.e. 9 good flights and 1 poor flight we remember.

Last two flights with Thai (this year) were spot...    But other flights with Qatar, highlight where Thai are weaker.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So many of the negative comments come from infrequent flyers, and some who do not fly on Thai.  Yes, the issue with the seat is unacceptable if a seat  maintenance issue, but it is not specific to Thai Airways.  Every airline has its infamous issues. One of the UK/Europe's largest had an issue with claims of bedbugs and deplorable catering, Air France still had 3 abreast seating on some of its business class  flights to BKK and KLM has the dreaded 2 abreast seating and lack of air flow control at each seat, Air Canada had the infamous "deflategate" where its air sack seat cushions deflate and left pax sitting on a metal plank. 

The aircraft on the Beijing route is the relatively new AB350. (So much for the comments that  TG uses old decrepit aircraft.) The seats are Soltys II from Airbus subsidiary Stelia Aerospace. The seat controls are distinguished by their difficulty of use. Control of the seat is awful. On my last flight to Tokyo, I couldn't get the seat to recline. I had the exact same problem as this passenger. The seat wasn't broken, I just couldn't figure out how to use the seat controls in large part because I mostly fly on B777 or 787 who have simpler seat controls.  I am not alone. Many passengers have the same problem. My mistake was that i didn't ask for help, not that the FAs were  attentive. They were no worse than on an EU or North American airline.   I expect this passenger had the same issue.  Why then would the airline pay compensation for something that wasn't a malfunction.  The problem is with Airbus and its poor seat design.  I just got off an AB 330  and its seat controls were just as bad.  I sympathize, but the problem was most likely not a broken seat.

Edited by Patong2021
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, still kicking said:

I live in OZ not Britain

That's obvious but your previous comment made no sense at all

On 4/30/2024 at 2:51 AM, Peterphuket said:

Not always, 15-20 years back they where much better.

That might be true, however, normal Thai business mindset, is not to improve anything, so the owners could get more profit. But in reality, there will be less profits since the standard hasn't evolved or been upgraded in 15-20 years, still same old seats 🤣

15 hours ago, kwilco said:
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

BKK - Jakarta - Thai are better

Better than what?

Being deliberately obtuse or is that a genuine question ?  

Better than the alternative direct options..... Garuda, AirAsia, Lion..  :whistling:

The last sentence gets to what should be creating the real prospect that there will not be a Thai National Carrier in a couple of years and that the reputation of Thailand will continue to decline.

I stopped flying with Thai Airlines when the U.S. banned the carrier from landing at any U.S. Airport. The reason: nonexistent or incomplete maintenance records combined with a demonstrated lack of training and inability to perform the work.  

The issue has been around for at least 15 years, but it seems that has been done about it and/or nothing can be done about it due to a lack of will to make individual people responsible for doing their jobs correctly and firing them.  

Most recent flight on this seat, aircraft leased from Hainan Airlines. In the last 2 years alone I have travelled on more than 50 flights in TG BC and on less than 5% of the flights has the seat not reclined much. On all other flights seat was excellent, as was service but then I am not a demanding passenger. I also travel on other airlines such as ANA, Emirates and Qatar so can compare.

TG BC Seat.jpg

5 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

So many of the negative comments come from infrequent flyers, and some who do not fly on Thai.  Yes, the issue with the seat is unacceptable if a seat  maintenance issue, but it is not specific to Thai Airways.  Every airline has its infamous issues. One of the UK/Europe's largest had an issue with claims of bedbugs and deplorable catering, Air France still had 3 abreast seating on some of its business class  flights to BKK and KLM has the dreaded 2 abreast seating and lack of air flow control at each seat, Air Canada had the infamous "deflategate" where its air sack seat cushions deflate and left pax sitting on a metal plank. 

The aircraft on the Beijing route is the relatively new AB350. (So much for the comments that  TG uses old decrepit aircraft.) The seats are Soltys II from Airbus subsidiary Stelia Aerospace. The seat controls are distinguished by their difficulty of use. Control of the seat is awful. On my last flight to Tokyo, I couldn't get the seat to recline. I had the exact same problem as this passenger. The seat wasn't broken, I just couldn't figure out how to use the seat controls in large part because I mostly fly on B777 or 787 who have simpler seat controls.  I am not alone. Many passengers have the same problem. My mistake was that i didn't ask for help, not that the FAs were  attentive. They were no worse than on an EU or North American airline.   I expect this passenger had the same issue.  Why then would the airline pay compensation for something that wasn't a malfunction.  The problem is with Airbus and its poor seat design.  I just got off an AB 330  and its seat controls were just as bad.  I sympathize, but the problem was most likely not a broken seat.

Your post points directly to part of the problem at TA; there is no training. Assuming that the seats were not broken and that the controls were confusing, there should have been one or more people among the cabin crew who knew how the controls worked and were able to walk over and show the passengers how to work them.  

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Being deliberately obtuse or is that a genuine question ?  

Better than the alternative direct options..... Garuda, AirAsia, Lion..  :whistling:

Talking about Thai Airways - It looks as if you were saying they were "better" than on other Thai airways routes. THe truth of the matter is they have a cutlure of poor customer service - Air Asia, the Thai branch suffers from it too.

If something is "better" you need to say how it is batter and who they are.

4 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

Most recent flight on this seat, aircraft leased from Hainan Airlines. In the last 2 years alone I have travelled on more than 50 flights in TG BC and on less than 5% of the flights has the seat not reclined much. On all other flights seat was excellent, as was service but then I am not a demanding passenger. I also travel on other airlines such as ANA, Emirates and Qatar so can compare.

TG BC Seat.jpg

I agree with you and Patong2021 with one caveat:

TG's BC flat seats on many aircraft are not long enough for tall people (pitch 183cm, many farang are much taller than this).

As to the poor design of the seat controls,  I can confirm this. The stewardess tried to help me, but it was just too confusing. 

All those people complaining about TG's attitude, I recommend KLM or LH if you want rude staff and poor customer service.  On TG, only once was staff rude (actually very rude) to me.