Is This Another Scam?

NONG CHOK

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Thanks for that info Georgealbert but seriously when are the meters and pipes checked? If they were serious they wouldn't use PVC pipes. They even use galvanised piping here too which is prone to electrosis.

I have two condo. One only charges for water used in 35 baht increments. The other also adds a 40 baht per month water meter fee. 

Maybe it's age of condo when water meter installed. First was 2009 no fee, 2nd was 2015 they charge fee?

Come come now, this is Thailand. 

Do you expect government organisations/companies to pay for their own maintenance? 

And if you the user pay for said maintenance,  do you actually expect them to perform this maintenance? 

Most maintenance occurs once it breaks or once there is a fatality.  It's just the way it is. 

So where does all the money go? Well there is admin fees. 

New cars for senior staff

Emergency fund for when things do go wrong. 

Not much left after that sorry. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

It's not the 50 baht that concerns me, it's if this fee is charged on every water meter in Pattaya, who pockets the money? May I add is this fee monthly or annual?

I dunno. Probably goes towards the works Christmas party or something. It's best not to get overly concerned. 

Not sure you're cut out for Pattaya.  

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

In my condo there is a 100 baht monthly fee which covers costs if the meter needs replacing, it goes into condo funds so no big deal

yes getting robbed is no big deal

• Confused 1

If I pay the meter maintenance then I would assume the meter is my property. So if I ever move I presume I can take the meter with me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

If I pay the meter maintenance then I would assume the meter is my property. So if I ever move I presume I can take the meter with me.

Not unless you buy the meter.

I'm a qualified plumber and I've never heard of these charges before. Then there's the 300 baht fee to park cars undercover. I've owned my condo for 8 years and I've never had these fees before. Maybe it's the new office manager who puts up signs everywhere and struts around as though she owns the entire place.

6 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

I'm a qualified plumber and I've never heard of these charges before. Then there's the 300 baht fee to park cars undercover. I've owned my condo for 8 years and I've never had these fees before. Maybe it's the new office manager who puts up signs everywhere and struts around as though she owns the entire place.

Are you paying your water bill directly to the PWA or are billed by the condo?

If the condo I suggest you go and talk to the office manager.........

My PWA bills for a house paid direct have a fixed 30 baht charge component every month for many years including last month whatever my actual usage is.

I think you do 'own' the water meter....take it with you when you leave.....we had to replace ours recently and we were told we had to pay for installation and the meter .....could be a scam of course.

Maybe is different practice between private houses and condos.   

We had to but our own water meter (and electricity meter too).  

The relevant authorities then connected us to the supply using our equipment.

Our water fees are very low. This is possibly because we are 'a farm'.

Last month I was billed for 230 Baht for water - but I used a LOT of water - as we had 8 advanced trees planted - and these required 10 minutes of soaking daily for the first 2 weeks , now we are down to alternate day drenchings! Roll on the rainy season! 

8 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Those fees might be worth looking in to.  You'll certainly want proof that they're going into the general maintenance fund. 

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

I think you do 'own' the water meter....

Yet it used to be (for direct billing) that if you didn't pay for a certain amount of time they would disconnect you by removing the meter....

On 5/4/2024 at 11:24 PM, NONG CHOK said:

So why should I pay for the meter if it isn't mine?

Your other option is to go without water........up to you.