That heatwave isn't normal

Posted (edited)

Not sure I'd say it's any worse than previous years.  It has seemed to shifted a bit, I think arriving later and staying till later in the year.  This year and last, as prior, seemed to rain at end of April and definitely by now, first week of May.

Always HOT ... DAMN HOT, till the rains arrive 😎 

No prob, AC house to AC car, to AC shopping, restaurant or coffee shop.   35-40-45C, and we wouldn't change much for either temp.   Still get out and walk the dog, in the shade and just after sunset.

Last year the rains didn't show up down here / PKK till after the 20th of May.   As I remember talking to and telling my brother not to come this time of years.   He & wife finish & fly out of Nam tomorrow, and were going to be in Bangkok tomorrow.   For 3 days, then Chiang Mai 😲😲😲 

So it would be crap pollution, or, if rains show up as forecast on the 9th, maybe rained out :cheesy:  Talk about rolling the dice with no chance of winning.

Cancelled that, thankfully, and rescheduled for Nov this year.  Should be real nice, and pollution hopefully hasn't started yet :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's not the daytime highs that have been so much a problem as the nightly lows, which are sticking around 30 and 31 in the western edge of Bangkok. Evening has been utterly miserable, especially as the roof tiles absorb direct sun and start radiating heat at night, too. Just want to see a few clouds and afternoon showers to cool of the roof.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

AFrench friend in Bangkok posted a few days ago that he was thankful for the man who invented the air conditioning machine (There is a debate whether in fact it was the American man by the family name of Carrier or not but would not get into that here).... อ่านข่าวต้นฉบับได้ที่ : https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2024/05/05/opinion-bangkoks-heat-wave-needs-to-be-addressed-now/

Edited by anchadian

13 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I've lived outside of Chiang Mai for 15 years now. Pretty much every one of those years has had a 6-8 week period between the end of March and the middle of May where the temperatures have regularly hit 40+C.

But is it a hotter than previous years? Perhaps a little but in my opinion not enough to constantly moan about it. It's called the hot season for a reason. Something that you just have to endure every year.

Soon the summer storms will kick in causing wide spread destruction, flooding and potential injuries. So out of the frying pan, into the fire...

I live about 15 kms north of CM, near Maejo. In previous years, it was hot during the day but cools down in the evenings so much so that we only needed the ac half the time. This year, the temperature stays consistently above 30degrees even at night and it’s ac on every night. Even the cold showers are hotter than what my instant water heater can produce.

This report (not overly interesting I might add) mentions how part of the problem is that overnight temperatures are not dropping thus not allowing our bodies to cool down.

• Like 2

Our local star is certainly pretty active these days, just how much this is affecting us I'm not sure but I'm getting 2 or 3 of these notifications every day: -

image.jpeg.1ec0cfddf25d5ecb2257ea79a7429234.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

This report (not overly interesting I might add) mentions how part of the problem is that overnight temperatures are not dropping thus not allowing our bodies to cool down.

Very true here on Samui.

Daytime highs are 37 C plus, slightly higher than previous years.

But night time lows at midnight are still 31 to 32 C. (Higher in my bedroom.)

The bigger change this year is the pollution here on the islands. Rarely seen in previous years - especially in May.

We are not in the same league as the rest of Thailand, but it has been noticeable this year.

• Like 2

You should be in my house right the wife has got the oven on baking bread warm air is blowing through the house, I've got all the doors open fans on

• Haha 2

There is a case to be made that solar cycles affect weather on earth, but the cycles are fairly consistent over that 11 year period with solar energy deviating by about 0.1 percent from peak to trough.

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=115207

This would not explain continually rising temperature over a longer stretch of time.

Then there are the Milankovitch cycles that don't seem to fit the rapid rise in global temperatures.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-research/earth-science/why-milankovitch-orbital-cycles-cant-explain-earths-current-warming/

Until a different external effect can be identified, we are left with finding an earthbound driver of increasing temperatures. So far, it seems that the scientific consensus is an increase CO2 in the atmosphere.

• Haha 1