That heatwave isn't normal

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

It's not even close to normal but wondering if this is the new normal. 

With weather, there is no 'normal'. Some years are hotter than others, some wetter than others, some winters are colder than others. Everywhere. A couple of years ago it was so hot in Europe that 70,000 died, last year not so.

And that is why I take global warming with a large pinch of salt. Climate doesn't change to a 'new normal' at the click of a finger, but over hundreds or thousands of years. There have been ice ages and drought throughout history, and long, long before we came to hurry things along. The Earth and nature are infinitely more powerful and resilient than us and will still be going though climatic cycles long after we have killed ourselves off in one way or another.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

My experience this year in Kalasin Province is that the heat, 40+, has been relentless, with no 'cooler' periods of mid 30s, for the past 4-6 weeks. and that is something I've not experienced in my 27 years here. The good news is that my regional forecast shows it will be getting a little cooler this week. We'll see. The wife has been off at the rocket festival this weekend which is supposed to mark the beginning of the soggy season.

Maybe the rockets worked..... 😃

Screenshot 2024-05-05 164202.png

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, global warming everyone should go buy an electric car and stop eating meat.

If you are that concerned I suggest you stop wasting electricity by posting meaningless posts-just like this one!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

That's pretty... funny. The solar constant is.... would you believe, not a constant!

Then physicists would call it the solar variable....doh! 

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Climate doesn't change to a 'new normal' at the click of a finger, but over hundreds or thousands of years.

The climate hasn't, previously, had an industrial revolution to cope with......the evidence is pretty damning that the release of carbon dioxide and other gases are causing this change in climate.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

have a cornetto and embrace it!!

bob.

Couldnt agree more.

People moaning when its hot (its not that hot either) if you live where its cold(er) and wetter half the time you'd soon see how well off you/we are

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

It's not even close to normal but wondering if this is the new normal. 

Presumably, if it was something like global warming, it would be very gradual, not so sudden that we think, "It's never been like this before!".

• Agree 1

The actual data shows that the temperatures have hit new records in multiple parts of the country. 

Thailand reels under heatwave as some regions hit record high temperatures

More than three dozen districts across Thailand’s 77 provinces have seen record temperatures in April, generally the hottest month of the year, with new highs beating records held as far back as 1958, according to data from the Thai Meteorological Department.

• Like 1

We have had dry + hot temperatures during the wet season in previous years but not at this time of the year March was fairly normal with a couple of mild storms but April has been too dry. Even though temps are 37-39 during the day we have had only one storm, almost three weeks ago. A couple have passed us by on the other side of the mountain, which is not unusual.

We expect rain every 2-3 days at this time of the year but today i was out with the sprinklers on the front lawn. The new grass that grew after the last storm in now dead.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

We have had dry + hot temperatures during the wet season in previous years but not at this time of the year March was fairly normal with a couple of mild storms but April has been too dry. Even though temps are 37-39 during the day we have had only one storm, almost three weeks ago. A couple have passed us by on the other side of the mountain, which is not unusual.

We expect rain every 2-3 days at this time of the year but today i was out with the sprinklers on the front lawn. The new grass that grew after the last storm in now dead.

You are lucky that your Sprinklers are still working. I have two Water Supply Lines with separate Meters, one for Village Water where the Supply died 8 days ago, and one for Government Water where the Water has stopped 3 days ago.Never have had this situation before in the 12 years I'm in Thailand now. Tomorrow hopefully I will get a Watertruck to fill up my Tanks.

Edited by UWEB
  • Like 1

I have always thought that our Earth and the Sun will always do what it wants to do.

As the Sun is chucking out 5,600*, when it gets to us, it is usually a mere 30+* this time of year, this year it has gone up a few degrees, but in the Sun's scheme of things, a few degrees difference is sod all...... 😉

Those who complain are in for a big shock if the Sun gives up and goes bang...😱

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Global Warming changes local weather patterns and increases instability.

So, the only thing that is normal now is what was once abnormal years ago.

Yes. It is now hotter in Thailand than it has ever been for such an extended period of time.

Having checked Taiwan weather a few days ago, Taiwan is experiencing highs of about 25 degrees C, I think.

It will be interesting to see what Taiwan's average temps are in June, July, and August, and to find out if Taiwan is also radically hotter this summer, as a comparison to Thailand's hellishly hot weather now.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

With weather, there is no 'normal'. Some years are hotter than others, some wetter than others, some winters are colder than others. Everywhere. A couple of years ago it was so hot in Europe that 70,000 died, last year not so.

And that is why I take global warming with a large pinch of salt. Climate doesn't change to a 'new normal' at the click of a finger, but over hundreds or thousands of years. There have been ice ages and drought throughout history, and long, long before we came to hurry things along. The Earth and nature are infinitely more powerful and resilient than us and will still be going though climatic cycles long after we have killed ourselves off in one way or another.

We humans have managed to shift the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from 280 ppm to 425 ppm in about 200 years, which is a blink of an eye in geological time. That change is showing up as increased air and ocean temperatures.

What has most scientists worried is the butterfly effect, first postulated by the German polymath Friedrich Schiller in the 17th century. That is, an apparently insignificant change in one part of the world producing drastic upheaval in another region. It's also known as a Black Swan event.

The Siberian and Canadian permafrost regions contain vast quantities of clathrates, which are complexes of water and methane. Clathrates  decompose at 1 - 5 C, into their constituent compounds.

As a greenhouse gas, methane is 100 times more powerful than CO2 in terms of heat transmission. Prior to the Industrial Revolution, methane in the atmosphere was about 750 parts per billion. As of 2022, it is 1900 ppb.

If the permafrost starts melting, or we screw up an operation designed to extract methane as a fuel, we could have a butterfly effect.

There's also the albedo of the Greenland icecap as another potential butterfly effect.

Don't be so sure climate change can't happen in a hurry.

BTW, too much salt is bad for the kidneys.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

MY ancestors were smart enough to migrate away from the equator.  And 4 generations ago, to the US. Then 2 generations ago, to the mountains of central US.  10 years in Texas from 84-93 was hot enough for me to know I dont like life in a hot climate especially with chiggers and mosquitoes .  I coined a measure for quality of climate 30 years ago.  Yearly, temperature,sunny days you can spend outside is a good measure of quality of life .   This includes biting bugs.   I didnt  factor in women availability because that wasn't a problem in Dallas in my younger years. 

Another sad thing about Thailand is the dengue bugs come out just as it cools off. 

Yesterday was hot for me. It was  80f later in the day in the city but started off 4c.   spent the morning hiking our butts off morel hunting at 6500' and hardly sweating. Caught a few native brown trout all before 2pm.  10 air miles from home .  People still skiing. Joggers and bikers out in force.   Wonderful 14 hour sunny day.  

Edited by Elkski

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, global warming everyone should go buy an electric car and stop eating meat.

Let me see who must stop it!

443.jpg.d567bb66b94876be2eb1e0670cd85364.jpg

But we love Greta on the real political right - at the moment. 😅

hehe4.png.409ca23d7b02e621e9607140e35456b7.png

Edited by AreYouGerman
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

Let me see who must stop it!

But we love Greta on the far right - at the moment. 😅

It would be a terrible incident if Greta was accidentally struck across the head with a police baton. Probably best move to China where they're far more tolerant of anti-government protests. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Global temperature is increasing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

It's not the daytime highs that have been so much a problem as the nightly lows, which are sticking around 30 and 31 in the western edge of Bangkok. Evening has been utterly miserable, especially as the roof tiles absorb direct sun and start radiating heat at night, too. Just want to see a few clouds and afternoon showers to cool of the roof.

Even if it's a rental invest some money and put some insulation. It's 100% worth it.

7 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I live about 15 kms north of CM, near Maejo.

I have a house in Mae jo too and it's roasting now. The city heat blanket envelops us here. It's noticeably cooler on the west side of the valley in Mae rim near the mountain. Not a great location to be honest.

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

The climate hasn't, previously, had an industrial revolution to cope with......the evidence is pretty damning that the release of carbon dioxide and other gases are causing this change in climate.

Then why in the 70s were they warning of a new ice age? Maybe we're just coming out of a cool period and it was this hot previously before records started?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

We humans have managed to shift the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from 280 ppm to 425 ppm in about 200 years, which is a blink of an eye in geological time. That change is showing up as increased air and ocean temperatures.

What has most scientists worried is the butterfly effect, first postulated by the German polymath Friedrich Schiller in the 17th century. That is, an apparently insignificant change in one part of the world producing drastic upheaval in another region. It's also known as a Black Swan event.

The Siberian and Canadian permafrost regions contain vast quantities of clathrates, which are complexes of water and methane. Clathrates  decompose at 1 - 5 C, into their constituent compounds.

As a greenhouse gas, methane is 100 times more powerful than CO2 in terms of heat transmission. Prior to the Industrial Revolution, methane in the atmosphere was about 750 parts per billion. As of 2022, it is 1900 ppb.

If the permafrost starts melting, or we screw up an operation designed to extract methane as a fuel, we could have a butterfly effect.

There's also the albedo of the Greenland icecap as another potential butterfly effect.

Don't be so sure climate change can't happen in a hurry.

BTW, too much salt is bad for the kidneys.

for those that say the weather can't change quickly - look at the mastadons or dinosaurs that are found intact with green weeds they were eating still green in their stomachs and they are buried in the permafrost so it appears that at least at that particular time the freezing was like "flash" freezing in an instant.  just saying as none of mankind today knows what will happen with the world in the future either short or long time.  be smart, be safe be happy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1