Family Demands 10m Baht Following Fatal Fall in Bangkok

webfact

Posted (edited)

In my circle we have a saying that To ask is not a crime, however, to expect to get it

is a wishful thinking... 

Edited by ezzra
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

In any part of the world, this would be seen as admitting once guilt. Let´s see how Thailand tackle it.

Its certainly a very lame excuse as usual about situation like this. But I agree that MEA having stated that the steel cover(s) were stolen so they replaced them with wood is a clear admission they knew the problem existed and were aware of the situation, not that it means much in the long run. They will try to find a culprit to blame the theft and then shift the financial blame and responsibility to them. My money is you wont hear about this story in the news again

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, impulse said:

As long as there are scrap dealers who will buy cast iron manhole covers, they'll disappear.  Here in China, they mostly make them out of fiberglass nowadays.  One of my buddies' relatives owns the biggest fishing rod factory in the world (used to be anyway...).  They use mostly leftover fiberglass scraps to make cheap manhole covers.  No resale scrap value, and they last as long or longer than cast iron.  I can't believe the MEA would even consider wood.

Thats the real problem they dont think ahead on almost any issue thats a problem. When there's little to no accountability or acceptance of fault there's no reason to change anything

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

In any part of the world, this would be seen as admitting once guilt. Let´s see how Thailand tackle it.

A big basket of fruit and a wai.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

In a country where danger is marked by a leafy twig.......You may have to wait a looooooooong time, a bit like me waiting for a Luxury Villa photo I have been waiting for from you....:coffee1:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Not responsible, 10,000 baht and a basket of chicken delight.

36 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...and by the very same token, pedestrians who are looking where they are going are entitled to assume that manhole covers in an area that has pedestrian access should not be so ineffectual that they disintegrate and deposit those pedestrians into a lethal 7m deep well, breaking their neck and drowning them.  

Why? This is Thailand. I can assure you I look where I'm going and I never even take a chance on the steel plates or the concrete sewer covers. Same as having faith in pedestrian crossings. Granted, you would hope that the agencies involved have pedestrians' interests at heart. But "hope" is a dangerous assumption hereabouts. Of course, you could enact American style liability laws, and that 10 million baht payout would become chickenfeed. And the cost of living in Thailand would escalate as well. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A lawsuit has been filed against the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) in Bangkok, Thailand, by the family of Mr. Kamthorn, a man who died after falling into an uncovered electrical conduit. They are seeking 10 million baht in compensation for their loss.

The accident occurred near Soi Lat Phrao 49 in Bangkok, where Kamthorn tragically fell into a 10-metre-deep electrical conduit while crossing the road. The covers of the tubes had been replaced with plywood after the steel covers had been stolen, according to the MEA.

Kamthorn's family criticized the MEA and Bangkok's city government for failing to secure the under-construction site adequately and stated that they must take full responsibility.

They rejected the MEA's statement about the replacement of steel covers with plywood after theft and argued that the organization should have installed CCTV surveillance as preventive measure, especially since it is a significant agency with substantial financial resources.

Kamthorn's family pointed out that he had been responsible for the care of his two elderly and ill sisters. They stressed that nothing could compensate for their lost loved one.

In response to the incident, the MEA has temporarily secured all open electrical conduits with concrete covers and ordered contractors to improve safety around work sites. They also pledged to take legal action against those responsible for stealing the original steel covers.

Picture courtesy of Komchadluek

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

A good and right move for a fair compensation.🙏

• Agree 1

What about taking legal action against the fools who ordered the installation of flimsy wooden covers

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, RobU said:

What about taking legal action against the fools who ordered the installation of flimsy wooden covers

I'd bet that was done by the locals when the cast iron covers were stolen.  Probably well meaning, but it didn't work out.

I'd absolutely prosecute anyone who steals the covers, or any scrap dealers who buy them.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'd bet that was done by the locals when the cast iron covers were stolen.  Probably well meaning, but it didn't work out.

I'd absolutely prosecute anyone who steals the covers, or any scrap dealers who buy them.

You may be correct but that means that the management did absolutely nothing despite being informed, which is even worse. Those Individuals should also be prosecuted for his manslaughter.  

5 hours ago, John Drake said:
6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...and by the very same token, pedestrians who are looking where they are going are entitled to assume that manhole covers in an area that has pedestrian access should not be so ineffectual that they disintegrate and deposit those pedestrians into a lethal 7m deep well, breaking their neck and drowning them.  

Why? This is Thailand. I can assure you I look where I'm going and I never even take a chance on the steel plates or the concrete sewer covers. Same as having faith in pedestrian crossings. Granted, you would hope that the agencies involved have pedestrians' interests at heart. But "hope" is a dangerous assumption hereabouts. Of course, you could enact American style liability laws, and that 10 million baht payout would become chickenfeed. And the cost of living in Thailand would escalate as well. 

Ah... the good old...   'don't expect your western standards here response'.... 

... next you be telling road users its their own fault because someone didn't bother to put cones, signs, lighting up and leaving a 2m deep hole exposed....   

Ooops... that happens here often as well...  But, that doesn't make it any less the responsibility of the authorities in charge of such projects. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:
3 hours ago, RobU said:

Indeed...   If 'petty theft' of the manhole covers is an issue...  Can't they be welded down ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ah... the good old...   'don't expect your western standards here response'.... 

Also known as the "reality response." If you want western standards, then you're going to need to pay for them. The only way to do that is higher fees and taxes. Okay, then, let's increase those fees, especially on car and truck owners. I'm all for it. Make roads and infrastructure better. Also time to increase that tax on "income" brought into Thailand before it has even gone into effect. Let's do it.

Agencies in Bangkok are now reported to be inspecting around 500,000 utility holes to ensure their safety.

The MEA is also, inspecting all of their ‘tube wells’ in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, and Samut Prakarn and are considering introducing the use of ultra-high-performance concrete (UHPC) manhole covers for future projects to prevent theft.

MEA's Assistant Governor Satit Pongsathonwiboon said today the UHPC covers have already been successfully deployed in a project on Chaiyaphruek road and that could be expanded.

You can now report unsafe utility holes via the Traffy Fondue platform.

https://www.traffy.in.th/

On 5/7/2024 at 5:21 AM, John Drake said:

Also known as the "reality response." If you want western standards, then you're going to need to pay for them.

Its not unreasonable to expect that a manhole cover or drain doesn't collapse, even in a 3rd world or developing nation. 

The only way to do that is higher fees and taxes.

'Extra money' will not increase the accountability of those in positions of responsibility for such 'issues'...  effective enforcement of those flouting safety regulations will.

It has been said plenty of times before, when those in positions of accountability are not held accountable for their apathy and resulting consequences, this is the result. 

Okay, then, let's increase those fees, especially on car and truck owners. I'm all for it.

This is not a 'fees' issue - increase fees will just raise the salaries...

In much the same manner, increasing taxi rates will not prevent taxi's from refusing rides and refusing to use the meter etc...  (poor example I know - but the point is there) - only a cultural shift forcing accountability will ensure effective improvement. 

Make roads and infrastructure better. Also time to increase that tax on "income" brought into Thailand before it has even gone into effect. Let's do it.

Why only foreign income....    The tax deficit of those extremely wealthy Thai's who avoid tax is huge... 

In fact a huge portion of Thai's avoid tax..    

You have fallen foul of picking up on the recent buzz subject of tax on foreign income - This is simply the authorities picking the low hanging fruit as they can easily 'deflect' the burden or responsibility onto the banks who can observe income from overseas. 

Its a lot harder to check those within country who are avoiding paying tax....

I know a handful of extremely Wealthy people who hand-carry cash, regularly to their Bank in Hong-kong (we're talking millions of Baht). 

I know someone who 'hand carried' a large bag of cash to HK on behalf of an very well known public figure (politician). 

------

Increasing fees / taxes will not prevent petty theft...    petty theft will always be there. 

Petty theft exists in the UK too, think of 'churches' having their copper lightening conductors stolen / ripped out. 

Construction sites and factories having their wire removed. 

Old buildings having the lead flashing thieved.

Taxes are high enough in the UK and this petty theft is not prevented.

Perhaps this is issue of petty theft of manhole covers is not exclusive to Thailand, but the stupidity of covering it with plywood is... instead of getting the area barriered off - those responsible take measures to ensure they are not held accountable, that is the missing 'factor' here in Thailand. 

Updated report from Thai media,

“The family of the 59-year-old man who died after falling into a 15-meter-deep hole, filed a police complaint against both the MEA and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

The younger brother of the deceased, Kamphon, aged 57, stated that initially, the family intended to file a complaint against the contractor responsible for placing a 1cm thick, temporary plywood cover over the opening, but since the MEA claimed direct responsibility for the maintenance project, the family opted to file the complaint against the MEA and the BMA instead.

He further said that the family met with Thitiwut Ngernkhlai, the MEA's deputy governor, during his brother's funeral, and they have scheduled a discussion regarding compensation within the next two days. The family is seeking 10 million baht in damages, citing concerns for his 64-year-old sister, who suffers from diabetes and previously resided with his now-deceased brother, but will now have to live alone.“

"electrical conduit"? This term is usually reserved for the ducts that cables run in, not the manhole which allows access to the cable ducts which is what I think is really meant here. Falling into a conduit would be pretty much impossible but into a manhole very realistic.