Where can I find a Fax machine?

giddyup

My bank in Australia has asked me to verify my Thai address for the issuing of a new credit card, and Fax the details to them. Do people still use Faxes? I might add the first of the three letters I received today was dated 8th February, so that took 3 months to get here! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was amazed to see one for sale at the powerbuy in Tuckcom  a while back   the plastic was yellowed and the price they where asking for it was silly....wouldn't be surprised if its still sitting on the shelf.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Usually they will accept scanned docs, email to them, can use your smartphone....or a kodak type shop

There is no email for them that I can find.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Do you not have the bank phone app? My Westpac account seems pretty easy to change address and order new (Debit) card. It also has a chat function where you can ask for their email instead of fax?

Screenshot_20240508_145739_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Pattaya57

Posted (edited)

Do they still offer the service or is it just a forgotten sign?

(in the past almost all internet cafes offered FAX)

There is an "internet cafe" (one of the few remaining) on South Pattaya rd. opposite the T-junction of Soi Buakhao. Right of the Advice shop (further right is Tukcom). Try your luck.

image.png.01fdcfdc6159c047231965c8da9573d0.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, giddyup said:
49 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you need to ask them

Do you mean phone them at my expense and wait at least 20 or 30 minutes to get a reply, if you're lucky?

That would be my guess. My Aussie mate had to do as well.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

My bank in Australia has asked me to verify my Thai address for the issuing of a new credit card, and Fax the details to them. Do people still use Faxes? I might add the first of the three letters I received today was dated 8th February, so that took 3 months to get here! 

I've had exactly the same issue in the past with bank (HSBC Singapore)..  even worse, I was in a remote location with 100% zero chance of finding a fax. 

The solution was to download an App on my iPad and 'spoof' send a fax from that App... 

(I think the App was called iFax)

• Like 1

You could get a multifunction printer with phone socket at the back. They are cheap, and apart from being a printer, copier and scanner, they are also a fax machine for sending and receiving faxes. That's not the biggest problem, though. Bigger problem is whether you still have a decent analog telephone line to connect it to?

Alternative is digital fax, where there are some subscription services for, where you scan document and send by email to specific address, or upload on their website, fill out what number to send it to and it sends off. If you get internet incoming fax line number as well, then any incoming faxes would get forwarded to your email address. I used to use efax.com, but there are many others out there.

As said copy shops may offer service and there are many online websites that will convert your documents to fax and send for a fee (or maybe even free for 2 or 3 pages.  I use such a service for USA and you should be able to find for Aus without trouble - below is 5 cents per page and no contract required.

https://notifyre.com/au/pricing?type=fax

• Thanks 1

Fax machines are very old school, no one really uses them now. A scanned copy of your document(s) should be sufficient. There again if Australia are still in the realm of fax machines who knows. They wont ask for a fax once they come out of the stone age.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Photoguy21 said:

Fax machines are very old school, no one really uses them now. A scanned copy of your document(s) should be sufficient. There again if Australia are still in the realm of fax machines who knows. They wont ask for a fax once they come out of the stone age.

Actually fax is used many places - Blue Cross serves 115 million in the USA and for overseas claims computer efiling often does not work anymore so option is Fax or Mail.  In case you have not noticed - the world seems to be going in reverse as of late.

15 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

You could get a multifunction printer with phone socket at the back. They are cheap, and apart from being a printer, copier and scanner, they are also a fax machine for sending and receiving faxes. That's not the biggest problem, though. Bigger problem is whether you still have a decent analog telephone line to connect it to?

Alternative is digital fax, where there are some subscription services for, where you scan document and send by email to specific address, or upload on their website, fill out what number to send it to and it sends off. If you get internet incoming fax line number as well, then any incoming faxes would get forwarded to your email address. I used to use efax.com, but there are many others out there.

I still have one of those. Canon MX366.

Works well except with Windows 11. No drivers.

It has served me well for many years and I do not like the idea of just chucking it out.

Free to a good home!

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually fax is used many places - Blue Cross serves 115 million in the USA and for overseas claims computer efiling often does not work anymore so option is Fax or Mail.  In case you have not noticed - the world seems to be going in reverse as of late.

They are totally out of date. There are better faster ways of securely making transfers. I have noticed the trend back to the stone age it isn't very edifying either.