Foreign man barely survives after being hit by a bus in Pattaya - Video

snoop1130

2012-96.jpg

A bus driver in Pattaya, Thailand, is being sought after he hit a foreign cyclist and then left the scene on May 8. The cyclist was injured in the accident, with a serious wound to his right arm.

The incident was captured on video and shared on Facebook by Prak Pheaktra on May 10. The clip shows a light blue coach bus hitting the cyclist, who was riding with a friend on Pattaya Sai 2 Road. It has since attracted over 3,500 reactions and almost 600 comments from people globally.

The video footage shows the bus veering slightly and hitting the cyclist, causing him to fall hard on his right arm. The injured man then rolled towards the roadside to avoid further danger from oncoming traffic. A passerby and a truck driver helped the man and drove him to the hospital.

People have criticized the bus driver's recklessness online, while others are debating if the cyclist should've been biking on such a busy road.

Boxer Sittichok Kaewsa-nga, a witness to the accident, told Daily News how shocked he was by the incident and questioned if the bus driver even knew what he had done. He said the cyclist sustained serious injuries to his right elbow, with the bone exposed.

Officers at Mueang Pattaya Police Station have seen the video but as yet no formal police report has been filed by the cyclist. The search is now on for both the coach bus driver and the injured cyclist.

Photo courtesy of The Thaiger

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-10

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

Wearing around the road at 10kph.

A lot of the time the traffic is not going much faster than that  due to the horrible congestion...I do agree that some cyclist seem to think that they have a right to take up as much road space as they can and this could aggravate some drivers.

(slow vehicles should stick to the left hand side of the road) 

however this doesn't excuse the actions of the bus driver in this incident.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

When will foreigners learn ? avoid as much as possible driving around yourself in Thailand. Use grab, a taxi whatever, but do not do "self-catering" on Thai roads.

I totally disagree...  

The very reason I (or my Wife) always drive whenever possible here, is so that my / our safety is not placed in the hands of someone with minimal education. 

Its the same reason I will not put my Son in the School mini-bus... 

Its the very reason I will not take a moto-taxi, but do ride a motorbike myself... 

- But, if your comment was in regard to 'specifically riding a bicycle' - then I agree...  

I rode a bike on the roads once in Bangkok, that was enough (and that was only from Sukhumvit 16 to the Wat Khlong Toei Nok Pier to get across to Bang Krachao).

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Henryford said:

Cyclists are a menace in heavy traffic like Pattaya. Wearing around the road at 10kph.

As are samlors, baht busses, food carts etc etc. TBH I am surprised there are not more incidents. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

People have criticized the bus driver's recklessness online, while others are debating if the cyclist should've been biking on such a busy road.

I was also under the impression that busses should not be coming through the Centre of town due to traffic congestion also damage to the tight road space

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The incident was captured on video and shared on Facebook by Prak Pheaktra on May 10. The clip shows a light blue coach bus hitting the cyclist, who was riding with a friend on Pattaya Sai 2 Road. It has since attracted over 3,500 reactions and almost 600 comments from people globally.

What no outrage from Thais.... shocking.

15 hours ago, Henryford said:

Cyclists are a menace in heavy traffic like Pattaya. Wearing around the road at 10kph.

would have to be not right in the mind to be on a bicycle in patts death wish