How to pay cashless at 7-11?

On 5/14/2024 at 9:43 AM, MichaelJackson said:

Hey guys, I have been travelling in Thailand for a few months, and my go-to place for a midnight snack is always 7-11. I can see some people paying with their mobile phones. Do you guys know how it works and how we can do that? I appreciate all the help. Cheers.

Cashless... 

Option 1) Credit / Debit Card (over 200 baht)... 

Option 2) TrueMoney Wallet

• Sad 1

On 5/14/2024 at 9:52 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

dear lord..please dont..I too am there at night on my way home..holding exact amount of CASH as i stand there...3 thai duded buying fruit,,,guy #1,,,papaya...pulls out phone..taps away..scan....waits,,,tap tap....waits for loading....tap tap..shows the girl

then goes #2...then #3..all while im standing there to get one bag of watermelon and my 25 baht cash.......(long sigh)........

I face similar issues...  

I'm ready to pay... Phone in hand, TrueMoney wallet app open ready to scan in an instant... 

3 people in front of me in the queue... 

#1 - Papaya...  7-11 cashier tells the customer... 42 baht... the customer then fumbles through his pockets finds his notes...  takes out 100 baht.. gives to the cashier..  the casheir counts out a 50 baht note, a 10 baht coin, a 5 baht coin and 3x 1 baht coins.

#2 - A Can of beer... 7-11 cashier tells the customer... 66 baht... the customer then fumbles through his pockets finds 3x 20 baht notes, a 5 baht coin and a 1 baht coin.

#3 - Orders a pack of smokes... 7-11 cashier tells the customer... 120 baht.. Customer only has a 1000 baht note...  cashier counts out change...  customer then wants all 100 baht notes (not the 500 baht note)... 

All the while, while I'm standing there to get one bag of watermelon with my App ready to scan and pay instantly.... 

See what I did there ???....   This strawman stuff is compelling evidence !!! 

The reality is as I see it - People in Thailand have adopted to TrueMoney Wallet and QR payments and are quick with it...  

The odd 'anti-cashless' boomer, less so.... 

Posted (edited)

First pay a visit to your Bank and issue secondary Bank card from your main deposit account in order to secure your wealth in case you lost or scam your payment card. If you want money in your secondary Bank card you can tranfer them online from your Bank account.

Do not use your main deposit account card in groceries stories for your safety.

Germany - Austria cash payments at 71% and 79% respectively (it is in German language)

Cash is considered a safe store of value, especially in times of crisis, and the demand for coins and banknotes usually increases dramatically. This was initially the case at the beginning of the coronavirus crisis in the spring of 2020, but in the end electronic forms of payment were the clear winners.

Finally, during the lockdown, transactions moved online, where they could not be done with cash. In addition, cash has fallen into disrepute as a spreader of viruses during the pandemic - wrongly, by the way, as studies by the European Central Bank (ECB) have shown.
The result is particularly clear in Germany, where last year 71% percent of respondents said that coins and notes were the most frequently used payment method, which is five percentage points more than in 2021. The trend is clearer in Austria, where rates rose to 79% percent.

Source:(it is in German language)

https://www.bearingpoint.com/de-de/ueber-uns/pressemitteilungen-und-medienberichte/pressemitteilungen/umfrage-bargeld-wird-in-deutschland-und-oesterreich-wieder-haeufiger-genutzt/

Edited by Paris333

45 minutes ago, Paris333 said:

First pay a visit to your Bank and issue secondary Bank card from your main deposit account in order to secure your wealth in case you lost or scam your payment card. If you want money in your secondary Bank card you can tranfer them online from your Bank account.

Do not use your main deposit account card in groceries stories for your safety.

Easier to open a second minor spending/saving account with a card and transfer into it as required for shopping!

• Like 1

Good one today in Tops, couple would not pay until the assistant had filled their cart back up with everything they just bought. THEN they get the phone out and the added torture of some discount vouchers, some not working!

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Easier to open a second minor spending/saving account with a card and transfer into it as required for shopping!

Yup... very much so...    

Have main account...   then a secondary 'user' account which is topped up as and when needed...   

• Like 1

All Thai bank apps have a scan feature.

Just scan the merchants QR code and enter the amount.

It's available everywhere,even tiny little village markets in rural areas.  QR codes are posted to scan for each particular merchant.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I use my USA Capital One MasterCard at 7-11. Works a treat. And this card card has an excellent conversion rate, no foreign transaction fee and pays 1.5% unlimited cashback. Use it everywhere here where the vendor doesn't tack on an additional fee. 

Wow.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, it is what it is said:

pay by cash, it's much quicker than faffing around with the QR code payment system

Pay by QR, it's much quicker than faffing around looking for the right money or waiting for the cashier to count your money, calculate change, then get the change, then count it twice, then hand it over and wait for you to put it away before they can serve me. Not to mention all the germs that money is coated in.

Such nonsense posted in these threads. If you like cash, use cash. No one wants to convert you to cashless - we don't care - just do what you prefer. But don't make up stupid stories to try to make cashless sound slow or inconvenient, just use cash if you prefer it and save us the boring posts.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

It's available everywhere,even tiny little village markets in rural areas.  QR codes are posted to scan for each particular merchant.

They are not "available everywhere"!  They may be readily available but not everywhere! 

Just three doors down from where I am sitting in CM (a main road in the city) the shop owners don't even know what a QR code is never mind use them!  My laundry does not use them either!

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why ? what do the government get out of someone buying their 7-11 toastie with their TrueMoney wallet ????

Governments have a record on their computer systems forever of everything you buy, where and how much.  It is the ultimate government control and a reason why cashless is coming soon.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

Governments have a record on their computer systems forever of everything you buy, where and how much.  It is the ultimate government control and a reason why cashless is coming soon.

Hmmm. Do you think the Thai Govt are checking your 7/Eleven and Lotus purchases and how many liters you fill up in your vehicle for example? And scrutinizing your electric bill if you pay online? Or your bar bill if you pay with QR?

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Yes, but this topic is about 7-11.  You go and try it there and see.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

Oh no!! Panic! Panic!!

21 minutes ago, george said:

Wow! Could you please elaborate on that?

Actually, some Thai vendors who previously accepted QR transfers are now rejecting it as they were hit with a visit from the revenue department and tax bill as certain threshold of incoming transfers trigger automatic reporting by the bank 

Other reasons that shops that previously accepted QR payment but now reject it is some old mom and pop got scammed by buyers that show their screen that they'd transferred but didn't, some old folks don't know how to check if they had received the funds on their end, or it's the shop owner's account and employee can't know if the payment came through or not

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

They are not "available everywhere"!  They may be readily available but not everywhere! 

Just three doors down from where I am sitting in CM (a main road in the city) the shop owners don't even know what a QR code is never mind use them!  My laundry does not use them either!

Perhaps they don't understand you?

Regarding laundry, maybe it's time you "manned" up and bought a laundry machine.  The public machines are filthy!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Yes, but this topic is about 7-11.  You go and try it there and see.

All 7-11's have that option to scan you're bank app from your phone.  They'll be happy to help you.

5 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

All 7-11's have that option to scan you're bank app from your phone.  They'll be happy to help you.

You can NOT pay with QR PromptPay at 7/11. They want you to use True Money Wallet, or domestic credit card over 200 baht only.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Strange, but many people don't seem to know about doing it 'the other way around'. 

19 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

No

The credit card edc machine that they have can take QR, 

CP groups' own system from Lotus to Makro can generate QR for the customer to scan from the till

but not 7-11, they never have and never will accept QR as long as they have True Money to promote

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, koolkarl said:
21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why ? what do the government get out of someone buying their 7-11 toastie with their TrueMoney wallet ????

Entertainingly Orwellian... .     Are the government going to tell me I've bought too many 'toasties' in the last 12 months ?

These 'government control' comments are always hilarious...    Did you pay cash for your car ?...  never used a credit card ?

Paying digitally for every day items is going allow the government to control us how exactly ??? 

Ultimate Government Control !!!..    how 'tin-foil-hat-ish'.... 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, george said:

You did NOT used PromptPay QR at 7-Eleven today. They don't accept PromptPay QR.

I just use my Bangkok Bank app.  It's got a QR scanner button.  It takes seconds.

If you have a Thai bank account you can do the same.

7-11 also has its dedicated app in which you can add any bank card to use the QR code function.

Why don't you just ask your bank or 7-11 staffer to get it sorted out.   My wife showed me how just last month.  Before then I was as clueless as you.

• Like 1