I guess nobody knows about phobia, some people don't like spiders or heights or something else. My phobia is a bit different. I had 2 broken ankles in matter of years and now I am afraid of steps or escalators I won't go to any shopping centre which has no lift. Yes, I know I am getting old but even getting out of a car is hard for me. So, what to do? I know it is mentally because I can walk OK but getting tired of long walks (Swampy)So what is your opinion?

Just now, Dioj said:

Try permanently breaking up with AN. You may not think it's going to do you any good, but it's going to provide every other AN member a world of joy. As a result it will also earn you enough good Kharma so that you won't even need to be born again. Go ahead, I dare you! 

I would not do it even on a dare.

But....

A double-dare?

Maybe.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Dioj said:

The hair of the dog. The only way to beat something is to confront it. Put on some ankle supports and run a marathon!

Better yet....

Just walk on your hands.....

Phobia gone!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

You need to face your fears. Start slow and increase the 'pressure'. Once you get through it, it becomes routine again. I was scared about flying and got some badass panic attacks mid flight previously (15 years ago) and then I got a job where I had to fly 2x per week and I just mustered through it and nowadays I am totally relaxed, even though Boeings recent accidents due to DEI hire might be worrisome.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Regular exercises to strengthen the ankles.That in turn will support and help the psychological aspect because you are actively doing something about it.Wear ankle support for the same reason. Then start walking more, minimum 5000 steps per day, before using the steps with your new found confidence and attitude toward it,

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Get a good pair of combat boots or doc martens. I have a fear of getting bitten on the foot by a rat. It comes from being around people wearing flip flops and sandals all the time.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

A long time ago I was rear ended by a big rig at a stop light.  I had a hatchback.  The rear of the car was flattened into the hatchback trunk space and the hatchback lid was pushed on top of the roof.  4 people in the car and luckily no one was injured.

But for over a year after that everytime I came to a red light I would be looking in my rearview mirror.  It made everything seem closer than it really was and make my gut wrentch.  Took quite awhile before I stopped fixating on it but eventually I did.

• Like 1

I had the same problem 20 years ago. Go to the physio and get advice on how you can strengthen your ankle muscles. The less you need them, the weaker they become. Ankle support may help at the beginning, but the most important thing is to strengthen the muscles and in the end neither high shoes nor ankle support help and have the opposite effect in the long term.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, still kicking said:

I guess nobody knows about phobia, some people don't like spiders or heights or something else. My phobia is a bit different. I had 2 broken ankles in matter of years and now I am afraid of steps or escalators I won't go to any shopping centre which has no lift. Yes, I know I am getting old but even getting out of a car is hard for me. So, what to do? I know it is mentally because I can walk OK but getting tired of long walks (Swampy)So what is your opinion?

I wouldn't worry too much.

Enjoy life  😂

Edited by georgegeorgia

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

I had the same problem 20 years ago. Go to the physio and get advice on how you can strengthen your ankle muscles. The less you need them, the weaker they become. Ankle support may help at the beginning, but the most important thing is to strengthen the muscles and in the end neither high shoes nor ankle support help and have the opposite effect in the long term.

Poor old man he is 

Edited by georgegeorgia

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Better yet....

Just walk on your hands.....

Phobia gone!

MODS!  Kindly do us all a favour and please limit posts to one per poster per subject, to avoid reading ludicrous and repetitive posts from a single poster who hogs the entire thread with useless dribble.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I never broke my ankle.

I broke a tibia, one time.

6 broken hearts.

1 broken femoral neck

1 broken metatarsal

1 broken nose (only had one)

2 broken legs, one each

4 breakups with GFs

3 breaks with reality

And....

The list goes on.

Still, fortunately, I have not developed any phobias about breakages, except....

When I was working in a restaurant as a dishwasher, I developed a phobia of breakage fees for broken dinner plates.

There was a time when I dreamed about nothing else than having dinner plates fall from my soapy hands onto the cement below the sink, thereby racking up  fines five times my dishwasher's salary.

Is 'give us a break' on your list?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I could do without your dumb commend

Whst is your solution? Im sure you know what you should do to overcome your fear! 

Excuses doesn't help much.

3 wheel electric trike next?

1 hour ago, still kicking said:

Furthermore, to my questions can I take a foldup wheelchair onto an airplane is there any place the hostess can put it? 

Usually not, and it will be checked at aircraft door when you board, and brought up to the door when you deplane.