Chiang Mai police invoke 10pm curfew after samurai gang rampage

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Chiang Mai Provincial Police officers imposed a 10pm curfew on locals under 18 years old following a deadly rampage by a criminal gang armed with samurai swords.

The commander of the Provincial Police Region 5, Krittapon Yi-sakhon, revealed to the MumKhao news platform that a group of men, mostly teenage Burmese nationals, repeatedly caused chaos, committed theft, fatally attacked, and harassed both locals and tourists in Chiang Mai since January.

Krittapon announced that officers had planned a crackdown, intending to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty. In addition to these proactive operations, officers would also implement a 10pm curfew starting from May 3 onwards.

Individuals under 18 years old are prohibited from leaving their residences without a parent or guardian after 10pm, both for their safety and to deter them from gathering to commit crimes.

Locals in the area praised the police operation, expressing relief as repeated crimes had instilled fear. The gang’s random attacks, even targeting innocent people without provocation, had caused considerable concern among residents.

One major incident occurred on May 1 when the samurai sword gang attacked and killed an innocent Thai man. The deceased’s friends recounted that the gang followed them while they were riding a motorcycle home in the early hours of that day.

The gang then threw a ping pong bomb at their motorcycle, causing a friend to lose control of the vehicle. After the crash, the gang rushed to attack his friend with their samurai swords before fleeing the scene.

The man’s friends insisted that they had never experienced any conflict with the gang or anyone else. The deceased’s mother affirmed that her son was a good person who had relocated to work in Chiang Mai’s city centre to support his siblings’ education.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ เชียงใหม่ CM108 ข่าวเชียงใหม่ จังหวัดเชียงใหม่

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

as if it isnt bad enough that the police appear to have taken no action or very little since January, 5 months now, the policeman holding the swords shouldnt be smiling and laughing in the picture after someone was killed 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

officers would also implement a 10pm curfew starting from May 3 onwards.

And in breaking news it is the 17th.....

That story 'broke' a fortnight ago

6 hours ago, Purdey said:

Are they all Burmese or Thai Burmese, because if they are Burmese nationals they can be sent back over the border.

Became intrigued how Thai law works when I read:

The police intended to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty.

No court proceedings needed?

You don't need a court proceeding to arrest someone. Do UK police go to court before arresting people?

In France this kind of attack from foreigners ("young people" as media call them) are so common, every days actually, and every where that all the country should be in state of war. 

Congratulation one more time to Royal Thai Police Athorities for their success to arrest criminals samurai knights.

They act to serve and protect not only Thai civilians but also every foreigner to this excellent and wonderfull Kingdom.

Gentlemen congratulation from E.U States!

3 hours ago, kwilco said:

So what is professional about smiling and holding. samurai sword?

Another one who appears to be unable to read what has been written in plain english  Firstly I didn't say they were professional I said they were expected to be professional when carrying out their duties.  read it again 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, george said:

If you were the cop boss, how would you have handled this?

Handled what? the knife gang ? find them arrest them and bring them before the courts

Or were you referring to the grammar pedant arguing the toss about the definition of proactive?  in his case I think an official warning would be in order, followed by deportation of course

Personally I think a 10pm curfew for under 18's should be the norm

Edited by Bday Prang

3 hours ago, sambum said:

My, aren't you clever! Well done Sherlock!

Well I'm not the one who had to refer to an online dictionary in order to define "proactive"   its elementary  Watson

7 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

There is a gang of young thugs terrorising the local population and the Police have taken action to prevent any future acts of violence from the gang .

And it took them only five months. Bravo.

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Handled what? the knife gang ? find them arrest them and bring them before the courts

Or were you referring to the grammar pedant arguing the toss about the definition of proactive?  in his case I think an official warning would be in order, followed by deportation of course

Personally I think a 10pm curfew for under 18's should be the norm

8pm would be better

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

You don't need a court proceeding to arrest someone. Do UK police go to court before arresting people?

Yes,the UK police can go to court before arresting someone,believe it or not it's called an arrest warrant

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Another one who appears to be unable to read what has been written in plain english  Firstly I didn't say they were professional I said they were expected to be professional when carrying out their duties.  read it again 

you are  not good at this game ar you? You end up trying to change the goalposts - it's fairly obvious you didn't understand the initial comment before blurting out irrelevancies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Chiang Mai Provincial Police officers imposed a 10pm curfew on locals under 18 years old following a deadly rampage by a criminal gang armed with samurai swords.

The commander of the Provincial Police Region 5, Krittapon Yi-sakhon, revealed to the MumKhao news platform that a group of men, mostly teenage Burmese nationals, repeatedly caused chaos, committed theft, fatally attacked, and harassed both locals and tourists in Chiang Mai since January.

Krittapon announced that officers had planned a crackdown, intending to visit each residence of the teenage members for questioning and to arrest those found guilty. In addition to these proactive operations, officers would also implement a 10pm curfew starting from May 3 onwards.

Individuals under 18 years old are prohibited from leaving their residences without a parent or guardian after 10pm, both for their safety and to deter them from gathering to commit crimes.

Locals in the area praised the police operation, expressing relief as repeated crimes had instilled fear. The gang’s random attacks, even targeting innocent people without provocation, had caused considerable concern among residents.

One major incident occurred on May 1 when the samurai sword gang attacked and killed an innocent Thai man. The deceased’s friends recounted that the gang followed them while they were riding a motorcycle home in the early hours of that day.

The gang then threw a ping pong bomb at their motorcycle, causing a friend to lose control of the vehicle. After the crash, the gang rushed to attack his friend with their samurai swords before fleeing the scene.

The man’s friends insisted that they had never experienced any conflict with the gang or anyone else. The deceased’s mother affirmed that her son was a good person who had relocated to work in Chiang Mai’s city centre to support his siblings’ education.

by Petch Petpailin

Photo via Facebook/ เชียงใหม่ CM108 ข่าวเชียงใหม่ จังหวัดเชียงใหม่

Source: The Thaiger 2024-05-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

how long will this be in place?

1 hour ago, cmjl said:

Yes,the UK police can go to court before arresting someone,believe it or not it's called an arrest warrant

Yes, but they can also perfectly well arrest people on the spot without one. Do you think they go to court to get arrest warrants every time they need to arrest someone?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dan O said:

I am just so glad that the police are planning a crackdown, or as a former boss of mine would say: "We are planning to make a plan!"

It must be so difficult for police to visit and arrest suspects at their homes!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, but they can also perfectly well arrest people on the spot without one. Do you think they go to court to get arrest warrants every time they need to arrest someone?

I suggest you take a look at why I replied as I did,you asked a ? I answered it.

Maybe the police force had to alert the rich people, and those with extreme power so they could send

their teens out of the country. Don't you know Thail logic yet? THis is only my guess, as

the powerful people of Thailand do not want any more eggs on their faces than they already have.

That is my version of Thai logic.

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

you are  not good at this game ar you? You end up trying to change the goalposts - it's fairly obvious you didn't understand the initial comment before blurting out irrelevancies.

as usual a pretty much incomprehensible reply .  Designed to divert attention from your original incorrect comment,   

You said" the police do not seem upset " 

I said they are not supposed to get" upset" and are" EXPECTED to remain professional"  

To which you replied , in an attempt to discredit my statement  "so whats professional about smiling and holding a sword" ?   Obviously nothing professional about that  Which is why my previous comment contained the word "expected"

Is that so difficult for you to understand ?

Maybe I am not so good at this game but I am clearly better at it than you you need to recognise your own failings before attempting to denigrate others. 

No goalposts were moved as a result of any of my comments,  

17 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

well it was hardly accidental was it?

Might've been!  I find a lot of your posts confusing or misleading.