Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

Message added by CharlieH,

Notice to Members:

Posts made by individuals reflect their own opinions and should not be taken as fact.

Please draw your own conclusions and consult a qualified professional before acting on any such advice or content.

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are missing quite a lot in allowances

Even if not a pensioner 

a better site is https://www.uobam.co.th/en/tax-calculation

but even then it can’t account for the Thai OAP allowance nor received pension allowance or foreign tax paid

I think the spreadsheet for calculating taxes provided by 'pauku1' is pretty nifty also and adequate for my purpose.
<https://aseannow.com/topic/1318120-revenue-department-contact-reports/#comment-18647010>

55 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

this minor change in the tax law aims to close a loophole that some wealthy thai individuals and

businesses have been exploiting to their advantage.

as a side effect, foreign tax residents in thailand will also be required to pay taxes.

The loophole for Thais will not be closed as you can simply park your money in an offshore tax company without ever paying a penny (current status). Now please do not come up with the reply farangs could do the same as westetn tax systems tax the money inside the company even if not remitted or a divdend is paid.

2 hours ago, motdaeng said:

this minor change in the tax law aims to close a loophole that some wealthy thai individuals and

businesses have been exploiting to their advantage.

as a side effect, foreign tax residents in thailand will also be required to pay taxes.

1 hour ago, stat said:

The loophole for Thais will not be closed as you can simply park your money in an offshore tax company without ever paying a penny (current status). Now please do not come up with the reply farangs could do the same as westetn tax systems tax the money inside the company even if not remitted or a divdend is paid.

it seems we're not discussing the same thing: i was talking about transfering money into thailand and using

this money in thailand without paying any taxes.

by the way, if i had a high income and / or were wealthy, i would go for the LTR visa, which currently allows transfering

money into thailand without being taxed.

1 hour ago, stat said:

I am not talking about people working in TH.

OK but this wasn't clear from your post.So you are just talking about retired expats earning $ 500,000 minimum current income.People at this wealth level are likely to have cash/stock/shares amounting to several times current income all incurred before the key date of 31.12.2023.Thus on the remittance system they wont have much to worry about.

If, looking beyond 2024, tax on worldwide income becomes a reality in Thailand the situation changes and it could of course likely involve income tax being paid in Thailand for this wealthy group.Whether the net amount will be greater than that tax paid in the home country is not certain: it might even be less if a DTA works in their favour.I don't see the advantage of an off shore company.

1 hour ago, stat said:

There will always be people who believe just hiring a tax consultant results in close to zero tax

Nobody with an ounce of business experience believes that.Tax planning involves considering all factors and implementing ways of minimizing tax paid within the law.We are not dealing with shady people here ie Pattaya mobsters and the like (at least I'm not). Anyway these people won't be taking advice from the likes of you and me, or from the dodgy chancers presenting "seminars" on the subject in the less salubrious expat ghettos.

8 minutes ago, jayboy said:

OK but this wasn't clear from your post.So you are just talking about retired expats earning $ 500,000 minimum current income.People at this wealth level are likely to have cash/stock/shares amounting to several times current income all incurred before the key date of 31.12.2023.Thus on the remittance system they wont have much to worry about.

If, looking beyond 2024, tax on worldwide income becomes a reality in Thailand the situation changes and it could of course likely involve income tax being paid in Thailand for this wealthy group.Whether the net amount will be greater than that tax paid in the home country is not certain: it might even be less if a DTA works in their favour.I don't see the advantage of an off shore company.

Nobody with an ounce of business experience believes that.Tax planning involves considering all factors and implementing ways of minimizing tax paid within the law.We are not dealing with shady people here ie Pattaya mobsters and the like (at least I'm not). Anyway these people won't be taking advice from the likes of you and me, or from the dodgy chancers presenting "seminars" on the subject in the less salubrious expat ghettos.

I am talking about anyone who cares about paying taxes will consider leavin depending on the circumstances. You state people will stay, I disagree. When and if TRD starts collection taxes by force people will start to leave. Half the expat community is still not aware.

Offshore companies will work for Thais that was my point or for someone who intends to stay in TH for a long time and never return to their home country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I have no idea where the idea that you start paying tax in the U.K. at amounts over £17,000 

HMRC is convinced that you start paying tax at £12,500 unless you have something other than the basic allowance.

You can be very sure that HMRC will collect 20% in each pound over any allowance you may have.

That's why I questioned the OP's comment, that he only started paying at GBP17,000:

On 7/20/2024 at 4:49 PM, CharlieKo said:

The amount of interest takes me above the 12,500 tax free sum. However I can only go by what my accountant and HMRC have told me. That is, I do not have to declare or pay tax on that amount in the UK.

As you mentioned, I think the total amount is around 17K GBP before tax is due in the UK. I am just below that threshold!  

35 minutes ago, beammeup said:

when did they announce that? I only read it bis under consideration.

That is what I said. TRD wants to tax ww income according to the head of TRD. Several reports were listed here. They want to do it but if they have the means and the political power remains to be seen. Few "rich" expats like to run the risk of having  a potential huge tax bill. I am not saying it will happen.

Edited by stat
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I have no idea where the idea that you start paying tax in the U.K. at amounts over £17,000 

HMRC is convinced that you start paying tax at £12,500 unless you have something other than the basic allowance.

You can be very sure that HMRC will collect 20% in each pound over any allowance you may have.

£17k tax free quite possible if configured correctly

For info

https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings

Starting rate for savings

You may also get up to £5,000 of interest and not have to pay tax on it. This is your starting rate for savings.

The more you earn from other income (for example your wages or pension), the less your starting rate for savings will be.

If your other income is £17,570 or more

You’re not eligible for the starting rate for savings if your other income is £17,570 or more.

also.......

Personal Savings Allowance

You may also get up to £1,000 of interest and not have to pay tax on it, depending on which Income Tax band you’re in. This is your Personal Savings Allowance.

To work out your tax band, add all the interest you’ve received to your other income.

Income Tax band Personal Savings Allowance
Basic rate £1,000
Higher rate £500
Additional rate £0

Interest covered by your allowance

Your allowance applies to interest from:

• bank and building society accounts
  • savings and credit union accounts
  • unit trusts, investment trusts and open-ended investment companies
  • peer-to-peer lending
  • trust funds
  • payment protection insurance (PPI)
  • government or company bonds
  • life annuity payments
  • some life insurance contracts

also... https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/allowances

Capital Gains Tax allowances

You only have to pay Capital Gains Tax on your overall gains above your tax-free allowance (called the Annual Exempt Amount).

The Capital Gains tax-free allowance is:

• £3,000
Edited by UKresonant

3 hours ago, UKresonant said:

For info

You may also get up to £5,000 of interest and not have to pay tax on it. This is your starting rate for savings.

The more you earn from other income (for example your wages or pension), the less your starting rate for savings will be.

You’re not eligible for the starting rate for savings if your other income is £17,570 or more.

also.......

You may also get up to £1,000 of interest and not have to pay tax on it, depending on which Income Tax band you’re in. This is your Personal Savings Allowance.

To work out your tax band, add all the interest you’ve received to your other income.

Basic rate £1,000
Higher rate £500
Additional rate £0

• peer-to-peer lending
  • trust funds
  • life annuity payments

You only have to pay Capital Gains Tax on your overall gains above your tax-free allowance (called the Annual Exempt Amount).

• £3,000

So is the majority of the UK guys still tax resident in UK as well as in TH? Thx!

5 hours ago, stat said:

So is the majority of the UK guys still tax resident in UK as well as in TH? Thx!

Interesting question, I've no idea about that one. I've only been Thai tax resident for one year in the past.

But was always UK Tax resident.

14 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I wish I was single and mobile - I would do the same and spend my time between Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and maybe Hong Kong and Singapore.  If I am never a tax resident anywhere, then I never have to pay income taxes - perfect.  Then when older (75?) go back to Aust and 'fade away' in a country where medical services are basically free.  

I have a kid here or I would do exactly as you said and be a part timer in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You have no knowledge of my circumstances or of amounts I remit or am able to remit into Thailand or where and how those funds originate, nor of my holdings of fixed immovable assets and other assets.

I am reasonably confident that if you were to know my finances you would be unable to provide the strategies and advice I want with any confidence that they are legal, comprehensive and personally tax efficient.

If you are so confident I know of at least 1 major financial company that would like to hire you expertise, though I rather doubt that they would agree with your self aggrandising opinion.

You already know what triggers a tax, how to avoid it, etc. Let us know how many times you have to remind your brilliant tax expert of the ins and outs of this new tax scheme during your paid meeting. Try not to be too disappointed as you walk out of there.

4 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Interesting question, I've no idea about that one. I've only been Thai tax resident for one year in the past.

But was always UK Tax resident.

Whether you are tax resident in the UK or not, a UK national will always pay UK tax on UK income.  If non-resident, you do not pay UK tax on foreign income.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence#:~:text=Your UK residence status affects,from the UK or abroad.

PH

• Like 1

Hi There,

I posted this a few days ago and Mike Lister explained that these figures were correct. Thanks for that Mike.

"

Hi Mike,
I have joined this site so I can ask you a question please.
That table above is exactly what I have been looking for.
So thanks to you and Charlie for providing it.
I have only just started looking into this tax thing and this seems to be the best website to discuss it.
I think I understand how it affects me, but as I am going to make a lot of plans around my understanding, I would very much appreciate it if you would tell me if my calculations are correct.
Thanks in advance.
I am a 70 year old male from the UK.
I have a Thai wife - married at an amphur.
I live here as a resident for at least 300 days per year.
This year I will transfer into my Thai bank account from my UK bank account about 450K baht.
From that chart above it would seem that I would have the following allowances:-
Pa1= 60K
Pa2 = 60K
Over 65 = 190K
First 150 = 150K
So a total of 460 K baht
I am ignoring the pension allowance as I would not need it according to my calculations.
I cannot believe that I seem to be 10K baht BELOW the number before I have to pay tax. 
I AM NEVER THAT LUCKY.
Your thoughts please would be appreciated.
Thanks

"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mike,

I have another question please.

I will have to fill in a tax form next year I believe and so is there any reason why I shouldn't get a T.I.N now, whilst the local tax office is not busy at all.

I suppose I am asking if there is some law that is not yet in the Royal Gazette yet and so maybe expats won't have to pay tax next year at all, or at least the system will remain as it has been for the years I have lived here.

I may be confusing this/my tax issue with the wider issue that seems to be the major concern, namely this taxing of worldwide wealth.

I have no issues filling in a tax form for next year, as it appears I will not have to pay any tax at all.

I would do the filing myself. 

I can read and write Thai - VERY SLOWLY and I think my Thai wife and I could fill out the tax forms with some effort and minor frustrations I hope.

I went to the local tax office last Friday just to get a feel for the place and as it was empty, the staff had time to be helpful.

Mind you, they did not have any real knowledge of any new law changes, nor did they really have an opinion on filling in a tax for if there is no tax to pay.

To be fair to them, even though I speak Thai well enough, my vocabulary is not that great when it comes to discussing tax thresholds and allowances.

We did agree I could come back with certain documents and my Thai wife to set up the T.I.N. 

So should I do it now as the office is empty and I will have to do it anyway???

Thanks Mike

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, AdamWest1974 said:

Hi There,

I posted this a few days ago and Mike Lister explained that these figures were correct. Thanks for that Mike.

"

Hi Mike,
I have joined this site so I can ask you a question please.
That table above is exactly what I have been looking for.
So thanks to you and Charlie for providing it.
I have only just started looking into this tax thing and this seems to be the best website to discuss it.
I think I understand how it affects me, but as I am going to make a lot of plans around my understanding, I would very much appreciate it if you would tell me if my calculations are correct.
Thanks in advance.
I am a 70 year old male from the UK.
I have a Thai wife - married at an amphur.
I live here as a resident for at least 300 days per year.
This year I will transfer into my Thai bank account from my UK bank account about 450K baht.
From that chart above it would seem that I would have the following allowances:-
Pa1= 60K
Pa2 = 60K
Over 65 = 190K
First 150 = 150K
So a total of 460 K baht
I am ignoring the pension allowance as I would not need it according to my calculations.
I cannot believe that I seem to be 10K baht BELOW the number before I have to pay tax. 
I AM NEVER THAT LUCKY.
Your thoughts please would be appreciated.
Thanks

"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Mike,

I have another question please.

I will have to fill in a tax form next year I believe and so is there any reason why I shouldn't get a T.I.N now, whilst the local tax office is not busy at all.

I suppose I am asking if there is some law that is not yet in the Royal Gazette yet and so maybe expats won't have to pay tax next year at all, or at least the system will remain as it has been for the years I have lived here.

I may be confusing this/my tax issue with the wider issue that seems to be the major concern, namely this taxing of worldwide wealth.

I have no issues filling in a tax form for next year, as it appears I will not have to pay any tax at all.

I would do the filing myself. 

I can read and write Thai - VERY SLOWLY and I think my Thai wife and I could fill out the tax forms with some effort and minor frustrations I hope.

I went to the local tax office last Friday just to get a feel for the place and as it was empty, the staff had time to be helpful.

Mind you, they did not have any real knowledge of any new law changes, nor did they really have an opinion on filling in a tax for if there is no tax to pay.

To be fair to them, even though I speak Thai well enough, my vocabulary is not that great when it comes to discussing tax thresholds and allowances.

We did agree I could come back with certain documents and my Thai wife to set up the T.I.N. 

So should I do it now as the office is empty and I will have to do it anyway???

Thanks Mike

Hi Adam

Yes, and Mike has been ever so helpful indeed and yes do not know if you have seen my posts but think you just look up my name.
This is very true about the Revenue in that there are no updated forms and again no one seems to have no knowledge on this ex-pat issue again Mike advised me to wait until the forms are updated but if in the same format, it will still be confusing.
Yes, indeed the tax forms (if indeed are needed) can be filed from Jan 1st 2025.
I calculated the 100k  50% Pension income totalling 560K in all.

I have looked via Google the forms PND 90 and only in 2006 can I find the subject Personal Income Tax and only the 60k is listed.
On the form PND 91 the subject Personal Income Tax from Employment Income and the 120K single and 220K Joint is listed.

Yes at the moment in Thai we are still entitled to all the allowances and exempt ones like the first 150K zero tax and yes we can claim this as an allowance and all the ones listed above by Adam and agreed by Mike Lister.

My frozen State pension is paid directly in to my Thai Account each month and sometimes I transfer relatively small amounts which includes some savings and hard to break down but know how much sterling there is.
Also what rate of exchange will they use on these tax forms if and when these are needed?
Sorry if going over old ground but it is still very confusing.
Thanks all and was just being helpful regarding my 2 visits to my local Revenue Department.

I am well below all the thresholds and Allowances and meaning no tax to pay.

Edited by jwest10

15 hours ago, UKresonant said:

For info

also.......

Basic rate £1,000
Higher rate £500
Additional rate £0

• peer-to-peer lending
  • trust funds
  • life annuity payments

• £3,000

So the TLDR is that; if you have savings in the U.K. that pay interest and that interest is at least £ 5000 and your non savings income is under £17,570 you have an extra allowance from HMRC.

why did you stop at 17,000 why not £20,000 (CGT) 

the answer is that anyone who could be eligible is either dedicated to managing their funds or is paying for it to be done

So doing the math you will have to have around £220,000 today in cash or more likely £200,000 as today’s interest is quite high looking at the past 5 year’s along with not much 

The vast majority here just have pensions income so the HMRC tax threshold is £12,570. Few can or even should qualify for a higher limit 

3 hours ago, NJHOUSE said:

You already know what triggers a tax, how to avoid it, etc. Let us know how many times you have to remind your brilliant tax expert of the ins and outs of this new tax scheme during your paid meeting. Try not to be too disappointed as you walk out of there.

It is always amusing, in a voyeuristic way, to see how some project their own inabilities and incompetence onto others.

PLONK

• Sad 1

Hi Adam

Hope I can type your first name lol no I have not and the Revemue also told me to wait for more information as and when it comes?

Just in passing did read a post and not sure correct if one has a pink Id card one can use that number but not from a reliable source but seemed to say he went to the Revenue.
Yes wait indeed and if we do get a form or not.
Did you notice that the Pattaya newspaper stated 100k were sent out to Thais the other week?
John is my first name and no not related to the salmon people, unfortunately.

Edited by jwest10

17 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Hi Mike

Hope I can type your first name lol no I have not and the Revemue also told me to wait for more information as and when it comes?

Just in passing did read a post and not sure correct if one has a pink Id card one can use that number but not from a reliable source but seemed to say he went to the Revenue.
Yes wait indeed and if we do get a form or not.
Did you notice that the Pattaya newspaper stated 100k were sent out to Thais the other week?

If you have a Thai ID card (pink Identification card for people who do not have Thai nationality or blue/green Thai National ID Card) you already have a Thai tax ID, probably anyone with an ID card MUST use that number 

1 hour ago, jwest10 said:

I am well below all the thresholds and Allowances and meaning no tax to pay.

In general the vast majority of TRD’s DO NOT want you to fill in a tax form if you have no tax to pay and no tax to reclaim.

Just because they don’t want you to fill in the form doesn’t mean that you cannot, just that there is no discernible benefit to you.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So the TLDR is that; if you have savings in the U.K. that pay interest and that interest is at least £ 5000 and your non savings income is under £17,570 you have an extra allowance from HMRC.

why did you stop at 17,000 why not £20,000 (CGT) 

the answer is that anyone who could be eligible is either dedicated to managing their funds or is paying for it to be done

So doing the math you will have to have around £220,000 today in cash or more likely £200,000 as today’s interest is quite high looking at the past 5 year’s along with not much 

The vast majority here just have pensions income so the HMRC tax threshold is £12,570. Few can or even should qualify for a higher limit 

But if they do move to ww basis it would be a bit of a negative.

UK £12570 allowance, is perhaps the baseline comparitor to Thai TEDA.

But if becoming Thai Tax resident these evaporate;- 

£1000 interest allowance.

£1200 (say) tax free (in the UK) ISA dividends.

£3000, CGT allowance (even if it were just managing your investment

So would have to reckon on being taxed on an additional £4k, over and above so the comparitor is more like £16000 UK tax free Vs Thai TEDA perhaps if were to become world wide income. 

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you have a Thai ID card (pink Identification card for people who do not have Thai nationality or blue/green Thai National ID Card) you already have a Thai tax ID, probably anyone with an ID card MUST use that number 

I've wondered about this.You are right about the number but doesn't it have to be registered at the RD before it can be used? Or is it the case when one is filing the tax return for the first time one just bungs in the number and the system just deals with it as a TIN? I just don't know.

10 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Whether you are tax resident in the UK or not, a UK national will always pay UK tax on UK income.  If non-resident, you do not pay UK tax on foreign income.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence#:~:text=Your UK residence status affects,from the UK or abroad.

PH

Correct but then you only pay on your UK income and cap gains on UK property and you can not use the allowances to my understanding. So UK tax rules should only bother those that are still tax resident in the UK. When I moved to TH the german IRS did not bother me at all as I made sure I had no German income.

• Like 1